Does anyone have any familiarity with the error #gsErrStnNetLost (4035)

Does anyone have any familiarity with the error #gsErrStnNetLost (4035)

Kevin Szabo-2
I have a federated production instance of gemstone64 2.4.0 and a hot standby that is quiescent for months on end.

Recently the quiescent Gemstone (Gemstone 64, 2.4.0) is refusing to run TOPAZ on the nodes that are remote (that is, talk through netldi etc).

The node that has the actual database starts up TOPAZ with no problems.

GsList says everything is great on all the nodes AFAIK

The Gemstone log (.../gemstone/logs/xxx.log ) has a number of entries that started about ten days ago

---  xxxxxx GMT: Could not get the network address of the Gem, session 15.
  Reason: No network error.  ,
       Net

This message is repeated a large number of times.

Has anyone seen this before, and more importantly, shed any light on what it means?

I have not rebooted my hot standby because I want to understand this error in case it is something that my production machine will encounter soon.

Thanks,
Kevin Szabo

Archive: http://forum.world.st/Gemstone-Customers-f1461796.html

Re: Does anyone have any familiarity with the error #gsErrStnNetLost (4035)

Bruce Badger
Looks like it can't resolve the name of the server.  I'd start with things like ping and dig to see if you can reach the machine from where you're running the topz session.

I'd also check the services file to make sure the netldi entry is still there :-)

http://www.openskills.org/

Archive: http://forum.world.st/Gemstone-Customers-f1461796.html

Re: Does anyone have any familiarity with the error #gsErrStnNetLost (4035)

Kevin Szabo-2
Thanks a lot Bruce.

Your suggestion along with a suggestion by James Foster helped me locate the source of the problem.

I had initially tried pinging all the machines.  That worked as expected.  I pinged using both ALPHA and NUMERIC addrs.  E.g. "ping foo.com" and "ping 1.2.3.4".

I then tried traceroute to see where my packets were going.  This is what twigged me onto the problem.  Traceroute only showed numeric addresses for this system, whereas traceroute on my production machine showed alphabetic names along with numeric addresses.

It turns out our DNS (or NSLOOKUP or whatever supports that) were messed up, but ONLY partially.  Lookup of a domain name worked, but looking up its IP address failed.  So the Alpha >> Numeric table was good.  The Numeric >> Alpha table had gone away.

We repaired our DNS tables and the machine sprung back to life.  I didn't have to restart or reinitialize anything.

Thanks again!

Kevin