Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Andy Burnett
I sometimes find it easier to actually go on a training course than trying
to work through text books.  Does anyone offer such a course?

Thanks
AB

Re: Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Mathieu SUEN
You know you can also learn from the image. All it's written in itself (
Someone have swipe me this answer ;) ).
The best would be to learn how to read code.

Learn from your tools ;).

    Math

[hidden email] wrote:

> I sometimes find it easier to actually go on a training course than trying
> to work through text books.  Does anyone offer such a course?
>
> Thanks
> AB

Re[2]: Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Herbert König
Hello Mathieu,

MS> You know you can also learn from the image. All it's written in itself (
MS> Someone have swipe me this answer ;) ).
MS> The best would be to learn how to read code.

believe me *nothing* compares to learning from another human being!

That said, to Andy: If I new of one, I'd have taken that course
myself.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Re[2]: Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Ralph Johnson
I have taught a course at the U. of Ilinoist called "Object-Oriented
Programming and Design" for twenty years.  I've always used Smalltalk,
but for the past three years I've used Squeak.  It is aimed at grad
students, so it is fast paced, but it doesn't assume that people
taking the source have even heard of Smalltalk before they start.  it
covers design patterns and frameworks and I think of it as more of a
design course than a programming course, but it makes students
profient in Squeak.

The course will be taught over the internet this summer.  It is part
of our on-line masters program, but you don't have to join the program
to take the course.  See http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/online/courses.php

-Ralph Johnson

Re: Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Brad Fuller-3
Ralph Johnson wrote:

> I have taught a course at the U. of Ilinoist called "Object-Oriented
> Programming and Design" for twenty years.  I've always used Smalltalk,
> but for the past three years I've used Squeak.  It is aimed at grad
> students, so it is fast paced, but it doesn't assume that people
> taking the source have even heard of Smalltalk before they start.  it
> covers design patterns and frameworks and I think of it as more of a
> design course than a programming course, but it makes students
> profient in Squeak.
>
> The course will be taught over the internet this summer.  It is part
> of our on-line masters program, but you don't have to join the program
> to take the course.  See http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/online/courses.php

It would be nice if you could announce when this would be available when
the time comes, Ralph.

BTW, I see that you worked on Kyma. I always wanted to get one of their
systems. Just didn't have the personal money, nor the rationalization
for the company I worked for, to purchase it! It is such a neat and
unique system.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

RE: Re[2]: Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Mark Bailey-5
While not a training course per se, you might look into Mark Guzdial's books ("Squeak" is in the title) and the associated materials found on his Web site. They lead you through much of Squeak, although an earlier version.

Re: Re[2]: Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Griff-2
Does that book cover the features of the development environment
itself? Is it the white or the blue Guzdial book?

I've found with other communities surrounding a long-running (old)
technology that everyone sort of takes for granted "how easy it is to
use the tool". However, folks brand new to both Squeak and Smalltalk,
while at the same time being well experienced in other languages, are
often presented with advice like "read the source code". Come on, give
me a break. You need a guide telling you how to use source code
control, create and modify classes, run stuff, and refactor stuff.
There is nothing like that, though, and a lot of people give upon
Squeak becase you have to piece together information from ten
different web pages. The lists are really helpful, but still, you need
a simple place to start. Most people haven't got the time to invest in
"discovering" everything on their own.

On 1/23/07, Mark Bailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While not a training course per se, you might look into Mark Guzdial's books ("Squeak" is in the title) and the associated materials found on his Web site. They lead you through much of Squeak, although an earlier version.

Re: Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
Hi Ralph and all,

I have tried to locate the course, but when I go to this url:

http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/graduate/courses.php?course=cs598RJ

the page is empty. Could you provide us with the url of the course, its
memories and activities or some general info.

Thanks,

Offray

Grant Rettke wrote:

> Does that book cover the features of the development environment
> itself? Is it the white or the blue Guzdial book?
>
> I've found with other communities surrounding a long-running (old)
> technology that everyone sort of takes for granted "how easy it is to
> use the tool". However, folks brand new to both Squeak and Smalltalk,
> while at the same time being well experienced in other languages, are
> often presented with advice like "read the source code". Come on, give
> me a break. You need a guide telling you how to use source code
> control, create and modify classes, run stuff, and refactor stuff.
> There is nothing like that, though, and a lot of people give upon
> Squeak becase you have to piece together information from ten
> different web pages. The lists are really helpful, but still, you need
> a simple place to start. Most people haven't got the time to invest in
> "discovering" everything on their own.

I still promote the book "Squeak A Quick Trip to ObjectLand" (Addison
Wesley) for a simple place to start.

Also, I don't  know if anyone pointed you to the free books:

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

These links may also be helpful (sorry  if someone already posted them:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/792 - Squeak Tutorials
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5810 - Hitchhikers Guide to Squeak
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/377 - Introductions to Squeak
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/4 - Basic Squeak Development Tools
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2983 - Documentation

> On 1/23/07, Mark Bailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> While not a training course per se, you might look into Mark Guzdial's
>> books ("Squeak" is in the title) and the associated materials found on
>> his Web site. They lead you through much of Squeak, although an
>> earlier version.

brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

RE: Re[2]: Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Mark Bailey-5
<< Does that book cover the features of the development environment itself? Is it the white or the blue Guzdial book? >>

There is a bit of overlap, in terms of the subjects covered, but I think a good place to start is the 'white' book, "Squeak: Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia Applications" by Mark Guzdial (2001). It is based on the 2.8 release. You can get a free copy of it here:

        http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

<< I've found with other communities surrounding a long-running (old) technology that everyone sort of takes for granted "how easy it is to use the tool". However, folks brand new to both Squeak and Smalltalk, while at the same time being well experienced in other languages, are often presented with advice like "read the source code". Come on, give me a break. You need a guide telling you how to use source code control, create and modify classes, run stuff, and refactor stuff. >>

I agree. I learned a lot by exploring the code but only after I had a structured introduction (PARC Place books, for example). I don't have to return to these books any more but I still learn a lot by reading a new one.

I hope that this advice is helpful to the original requester.

Mark

Re: Re[2]: Does anyone offer a squeak training course?

Markus Schlager-2
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Grant Rettke wrote:

> Does that book cover the features of the development environment
> itself? Is it the white or the blue Guzdial book?

My personal favorite on this is "Squeak programmation" by Xavier
Briffault and Stephane Ducasse (published by Eyrolles, Paris) - written in
French.

You might also want to read "Programmando con Smalltalk" by Diego
Gomez Deck - freely available online as pdf at
http://wiki.gnulinex.org/LibroProgramacionSmalltalk/10.

Markus