Does anyone remember details of a "pro-Smalltalk" merger circa 2013?

Does anyone remember details of a "pro-Smalltalk" merger circa 2013?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
I heard an anecdote of a recent merger between two companies in which one had over 200 people supporting a Java application and the other had ~25 people supporting a Smalltalk application. The surprising result was that the Smalltalk application was selected for the merged company rather than the Java one.

I would like to know which companies were involved, when this occurred, and what the precise details were.

Thank you!

Re: Does anyone remember details of a "pro-Smalltalk" merger circa 2013?

S Krish

Surprising from a "follow the herd" psyche amongst the corporate management and all institutions. They are wary of Smalltalk in general with very few competent resources available makes them more incapable to drive their personal agenda. Also for institutions, the insecure nature of Smalltalk, the lack of standardized monitoring tools et als is another factor that plays to opt for Java or .Net.

I suspect this maybe an on the cloud, self managed service which is assessed purely on its merits... if its true.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 11:53 PM, Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
I heard an anecdote of a recent merger between two companies in which one had
over 200 people supporting a Java application and the other had ~25 people
supporting a Smalltalk application. The surprising result was that the
Smalltalk application was selected for the merged company rather than the
Java one.

I would like to know which companies were involved, when this occurred, and
what the precise details were.

Thank you!

Re: Does anyone remember details of a "pro-Smalltalk" merger circa 2013?

Phil B
On Fri, 2015-10-30 at 11:23 -0700, Richard Sargent wrote:

> I heard an anecdote of a recent merger between two companies in which
> one had
> over 200 people supporting a Java application and the other had ~25
> people
> supporting a Smalltalk application. The surprising result was that
> the
> Smalltalk application was selected for the merged company rather than
> the
> Java one.
>
> I would like to know which companies were involved, when this
> occurred, and
> what the precise details were.

If it's the one I'm thinking of the details got mixed up in
translation: GemStone (best known for their Smalltalk database) got
bought by a division of VMware in 2010.  However, I remember it as
VMware wanting the Java piece, not the Smalltalk piece.  In 2013 the
previous owners of GemStone (i.e. the ones that sold it in 2010)
acquired back the rights to the Smalltalk piece leaving VMware with the
Java piece that was the driver behind the original deal.  I have no
first-hand or insider information, just what I remember being reported
 when those deals happened...

> Thank you!

> Nabble.com.

Re: Does anyone remember details of a "pro-Smalltalk" merger circa 2013?

Eliot Miranda-2
I know of a similar case, but the numbers are 200 Java vs 80 St.  It's not at all surprising since the St team is doing at least as much at less cost.  If the merged company is rational, what other choice would it make?  I'm not willing to discuss details.