Does anyone run 'plain' Debian? Could you test out building a vm for us?

Does anyone run 'plain' Debian? Could you test out building a vm for us?

timrowledge
We need to demonstrate that the vm can be built in a vanilla-as-posible Debian;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzi8Tf4EvjhoYTNEUDRCc09KOEk/view?usp=sharing

If it builds then grab http://squeakland.org/content/installers/Etoys-To-Go-5.0.zip and try running the image in there

tim
Strange OpCodes: HBT: Harvest Binary Tree

Re: Does anyone run 'plain' Debian? Could you test out building a vm for us?

timrowledge

> On 16-08-2017, at 10:53 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We need to demonstrate that the vm can be built in a vanilla-as-posible Debian;
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzi8Tf4EvjhoYTNEUDRCc09KOEk/view?usp=sharing
>
> If it builds then grab http://squeakland.org/content/installers/Etoys-To-Go-5.0.zip and try running the image in there

I should have added a link to the ‘how to make it’ page - http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354

tim
Useful random insult:- One clown short of a circus.

Re: Does anyone run 'plain' Debian? Could you test out building a vm for us?

Tobias Pape
Hmm,

> On 16.08.2017, at 19:53, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We need to demonstrate that the vm can be built in a vanilla-as-posible Debian;

does a simple "yes" suffice here?
Because I do that on my server (Debian GNU/Linux 8.9 (jessie) x64) quite irregularily…

FWIW, have a log attached :)

Best regards
        -Tobias

Log at 2017-08-29 12.38.36.txt (567K) Download Attachment

Re: Does anyone run 'plain' Debian? Could you test out building a vm for us?

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:39:24PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Hmm,
>
> > On 16.08.2017, at 19:53, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > We need to demonstrate that the vm can be built in a vanilla-as-posible Debian;
>
> does a simple "yes" suffice here?
> Because I do that on my server (Debian GNU/Linux 8.9 (jessie) x64) quite irregularily???
>
> FWIW, have a log attached :)

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for confirming this. If possible, could you also please try running
an Etoys image, and see if it starts and runs?

The reason for asking is that Debian is going to remove the Etoys package
due to a dependency on their old and modified version of squeakvm:

The Debian squeakvm package is very outdated, and has been modified in
various ways by the Debian maintainers. I would like to suggest to them
that they get rid of the broken code base and use the up to date VM code
that you just tested.

The Debian bug report suggests a failure at runtime, so it would be good
if we can verify that the Etoys image does run on the current squeakvm
that you compiled. It works fine for me on my old Ubuntu system, but it
might be that there are problems related to compilers or libraries on the
latest Debian.

Thanks very much!

Dave

Re: Does anyone run 'plain' Debian? Could you test out building a vm for us?

Tobias Pape

> On 29.08.2017, at 13:58, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:39:24PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:
>> Hmm,
>>
>>> On 16.08.2017, at 19:53, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We need to demonstrate that the vm can be built in a vanilla-as-posible Debian;
>>
>> does a simple "yes" suffice here?
>> Because I do that on my server (Debian GNU/Linux 8.9 (jessie) x64) quite irregularily???
>>
>> FWIW, have a log attached :)
>>

> Hi Tobias,
>
> Thanks for confirming this. If possible, could you also please try running
> an Etoys image, and see if it starts and runs?

Well, that machine has no display, so I'm unsure here.

> The reason for asking is that Debian is going to remove the Etoys package
> due to a dependency on their old and modified version of squeakvm:
>
>  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=862576
>
> The Debian squeakvm package is very outdated, and has been modified in
> various ways by the Debian maintainers. I would like to suggest to them
> that they get rid of the broken code base and use the up to date VM code
> that you just tested.

I'd also rather have that.

> The Debian bug report suggests a failure at runtime, so it would be good
> if we can verify that the Etoys image does run on the current squeakvm
> that you compiled. It works fine for me on my old Ubuntu system, but it
> might be that there are problems related to compilers or libraries on the
> latest Debian.

oh dear…

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Thanks very much!
>
> Dave

Re: Does anyone run 'plain' Debian? Could you test out building a vm for us?

Herbert König

Am 29.08.2017 um 14:26 schrieb Tobias Pape:

>> Thanks for confirming this. If possible, could you also please try running
>> an Etoys image, and see if it starts and runs?
>>
> Well, that machine has no display, so I'm unsure here.

On my Raspis I run tvnserver and tvnviewer to run Squeak without xServer.

FWIW,

Herbert