Does the blue ink formatter setting: 'Selector and argument combined in method signature max size' work?

1 message Options

Does the blue ink formatter setting: 'Selector and argument combined in method signature max size' work?

Tim Mackinnon
Having done a bunch of refactoring on my code - I realised that the default settings for the code formatter aren’t the greatest (and I know this is quite personal).

So I’ve tweaked a few things (the default settings aren’t bad but I don’t understand why "retain black lines between statements" isn’t on by default - as the alternative really gives us bad looking code. Ideally, there should be a number you can set - for max blanks to preserve, but the current 0 is not great).

However - my question is how to stop smaller keyword messages from being wrapped? If I have the setting “method signature on multiple lines” NOT checked (default), I understood that "Selector and argument combined in method signature max size” would then be used to determine if a statement is wrapped or not? However even with big numbers a statement like:

exercismSubmission := ExercismSubmission
                data:
                        (self class sampleDataFor: 'test-ex' filenames: actualNames baseUrl: baseUrl).

Always gets wrapped to:

exercismSubmission := ExercismSubmission
                data:
                        (self class
                                sampleDataFor: 'test-ex'
                                filenames: actualNames
                                baseUrl: baseUrl).

Is there some other setting I am missing? Or is this just a bug?

Tim