Dolphin Central Repository

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
I start a new thread, in order to maintain it appart.

David,

 >> If I were you or if I had the time and budget to do it, I would
make a web front end to STS repository which would allow browsing of
code in the repository. This would work like the Mozilla source code
repository over the web. Then one could select a package version or
any other piece of code, download and install it locally. Also for
better integration with Dolphin, I would add a possibility to browse
remote repositories using the usual STS source code browsers.

 > This would be the ultimate goal. I started a little bit simpler
with the idea of a central package "directory" which lists all the
known packages  - so more some kind of 1to1 port of SqueakMap.

 > As said above the ultimate tool would be something like STS with
a web Frontend ... I'm only curious about licensing: As only one
"image" would connect to STS/OmniBase a single user license would be
sufficient .... although multiple web sessions are handled by this
image. So I think one should think about a general licensing scheme
in this case.

I thought in STS when mentioned this repository system.
I've never used STS before, but it seems to be the de facto software
versioning system of Dolphin. And even not being the "official"
versioning system, it's the more "Dolphin" (is there any other?).

And that's the point in this, having our "own" central repository.
Dolphin community is singular (as VW, and Squeak are), so are they
repository systems. We need our own. As Chris said in other thread,
re-building the wheel is always faster, cheaper and more tailored to
actual needs, and of course the way I like :-).

But as said in the thread mentioned before, perhaps we could start
just with a "downloading", and "browser" tools, (or in the inverse).
With this I mean, one can browse what is inside a Package or Project
(something similar to a Package Group, Configuration Map in VAST),
and then download it, the installation is a posterior feature, if
required. What I think is mandatory is to have this browser and
downloader right inside the smalltalk image.

We could start throwing names (I like this part :-):
I put two: Atoll or Ocean.

Best regards.

--
Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Dolphin Central Repository

Sebastián Sastre
It looks very benefical for the comunity.
I want to keep updated about this

best regards,

--
Sebastián Sastre
Seaswork

"Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje
news:[hidden email]...

>I start a new thread, in order to maintain it appart.
>
> David,
>
> >> If I were you or if I had the time and budget to do it, I would
> make a web front end to STS repository which would allow browsing of code
> in the repository. This would work like the Mozilla source code repository
> over the web. Then one could select a package version or any other piece
> of code, download and install it locally. Also for better integration with
> Dolphin, I would add a possibility to browse remote repositories using the
> usual STS source code browsers.
>
> > This would be the ultimate goal. I started a little bit simpler
> with the idea of a central package "directory" which lists all the known
> packages  - so more some kind of 1to1 port of SqueakMap.
>
> > As said above the ultimate tool would be something like STS with
> a web Frontend ... I'm only curious about licensing: As only one "image"
> would connect to STS/OmniBase a single user license would be sufficient
> .... although multiple web sessions are handled by this image. So I think
> one should think about a general licensing scheme in this case.
>
> I thought in STS when mentioned this repository system.
> I've never used STS before, but it seems to be the de facto software
> versioning system of Dolphin. And even not being the "official" versioning
> system, it's the more "Dolphin" (is there any other?).
>
> And that's the point in this, having our "own" central repository. Dolphin
> community is singular (as VW, and Squeak are), so are they repository
> systems. We need our own. As Chris said in other thread, re-building the
> wheel is always faster, cheaper and more tailored to actual needs, and of
> course the way I like :-).
>
> But as said in the thread mentioned before, perhaps we could start just
> with a "downloading", and "browser" tools, (or in the inverse).
> With this I mean, one can browse what is inside a Package or Project
> (something similar to a Package Group, Configuration Map in VAST), and
> then download it, the installation is a posterior feature, if required.
> What I think is mandatory is to have this browser and downloader right
> inside the smalltalk image.
>

> We could start throwing names (I like this part :-):
> I put two: Atoll or Ocean.
>

> Best regards.
>

> --
> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Dolphin Central Repository

David Gorisek-5
Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:

> I start a new thread, in order to maintain it appart.
>
> David,
>
>  > This would be the ultimate goal. I started a little bit simpler with
> the idea of a central package "directory" which lists all the known
> packages  - so more some kind of 1to1 port of SqueakMap.
>
>  > As said above the ultimate tool would be something like STS with a
> web Frontend ... I'm only curious about licensing: As only one "image"
> would connect to STS/OmniBase a single user license would be sufficient
> .... although multiple web sessions are handled by this image. So I
> think one should think about a general licensing scheme in this case.
>
> I thought in STS when mentioned this repository system.
> I've never used STS before, but it seems to be the de facto software
> versioning system of Dolphin. And even not being the "official"
> versioning system, it's the more "Dolphin" (is there any other?).
>
> And that's the point in this, having our "own" central repository.
> Dolphin community is singular (as VW, and Squeak are), so are they
> repository systems. We need our own. As Chris said in other thread,
> re-building the wheel is always faster, cheaper and more tailored to
> actual needs, and of course the way I like :-).
>
> We could start throwing names (I like this part :-):
> I put two: Atoll or Ocean.

I vote for Ocean - ocean of Smalltalk code. We already jumped to a
Smalltalk Balloon and left the island (or Atoll).

Now seriously; STS could very well be available for free to anyone, if
there was some other way to  finance the maintenance of the existing
source code. We make no profit out of selling it, I doubt that the
licenses even cover the time spent answering support e-mails. The
problem is simply that the Smalltalk community is not too big (mildly
said). I started STS as a student when my time was cheap and plenty. The
reason why Dolphin/STS development continues today, is simply that it is
still a lot cheaper than buying VW/Store or VAST/ENVY.

Even if we go forward and develop the "Ocean" thing, who will support
it? An open source project without some commercial backing behind it can
not be successfull. Now, how many companies are using Dolphin
commercially and would see this as something worth having?