Dolphin Garbage Collector

Bruno Brasesco
What implementation of garbage collector use Dolphin ?

Reference-Counting or Marking.

What I want to know is if Dolphin garbage collector collect objects with
"cyclic structure" ?

Best Regards
Bruno Brasesco

Re: Dolphin Garbage Collector

Bill Schwab-2
Bruno,

> What implementation of garbage collector use Dolphin ?
>
> Reference-Counting or Marking.

There might be something on this in the newsgroup archives, but, I'll have
to leave it to OA otherwise.

> What I want to know is if Dolphin garbage collector collect objects with
> "cyclic structure" ?

Yes.  The Education Centre addresses this - search for garbage and look for
"The Rules".

Possibly of use to you: because Dolphin's GC is not generational (something
that I _think_ is climbing ever higher on my wish-list), you might want to
consider using things like FLOATArray rather than storing Float instances in
an ordinary collection.  This can save both on memory and GC times, but,
it's significant only if you have large nubers of objects.

Another sometimes useful fact: StructureArray is a great tool, but, I
learned that it's flexibility comes at a cost in speed.  If you use a "blob
array" approach, you might benefit from making your own "hard coded" class
like DWORDArray, FLOATArray, etc..

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Dolphin Garbage Collector

Andy Bower
Bruno,

> What I want to know is if Dolphin garbage collector collect objects with
> "cyclic structure" ?

Yes, Dolphin's GC will happily collect cyclic references.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com