Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Günther Schmidt
Hi,

I keep turning some thoughts in my head over and over and I'd need some
input on them.

The thing is I started programming with webapps in PHP, doing that for
some years and making quit a nice living.
After a while I got tired of it for two reasons basically

first, there is only so much you can do with PHP and HTML
second, its just about impossible to write generic WebApps.

So I went for writing Desktop Apps, trying Scheme, Lisp and finally
Smalltalk, and with Smalltalk I'll stay. (Avoiding C and C++ like hell).

Since I'm going for Windows users, and because a few other reasons,
Dolphin seems like the best choice.

... so far.

Cause what I'd also like to do is write Apps with a more or less trivial
business logic but with a real fancy UI.
A UI for instance, that looks like some good Flash Apps look like, or
one that you'd see in Science Fiction movies, a really cool one.
I admit it, any app of mine is hardly ever gonna be some great piece of
software, but I'll be damned if it will look as boring as the others.

Dolphin seems really great when you want to create an App with a
standard Windows UI, very nice set up for you. But what if you'd want
something else?
I reckon I'd have to go very deep into Dolphin, probably to the same
level as the developers and I doubt that I will ever be able to.

So I'd like your opinion on Morphs, Squeaks UI.

Would that maybe be a better choice for me?

Guenther

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Günther Schmidt escribió:

> I keep turning some thoughts in my head over and over and I'd need some
> input on them.

 > [SNIP]

> Cause what I'd also like to do is write Apps with a more or less trivial
> business logic but with a real fancy UI.

> A UI for instance, that looks like some good Flash Apps look like, or
> one that you'd see in Science Fiction movies, a really cool one.

You'll have to work hard to achieve that.
Before all, you have to know the limitations of "Desktop apps", with
this I mean you cannot* do a modern game interface coexisting with other
desktop apps. But you can do many things involved with enhacing today
"list-tree-button-text" UIs. Adding 3d graphics, and stuff like that.

*You allways can, but the energy needed tends to infinty.

> I admit it, any app of mine is hardly ever gonna be some great piece of
> software, but I'll be damned if it will look as boring as the others.

Well... a book may appear boring at first, but the entertainment is in
the contents. If you have both, better. You can develop having _BOTH_ in
mind.

> Dolphin seems really great when you want to create an App with a
> standard Windows UI, very nice set up for you. But what if you'd want
> something else?

1. In WinXP you could theme it.
2. You could build your own.

> I reckon I'd have to go very deep into Dolphin, probably to the same
> level as the developers and I doubt that I will ever be able to.

But you want sci-fi GUI's, so... you want something very very very
eye-candy and nice, without effort?*

You can do all of that at "smalltalk user" (developer) level, after all
GUI's born here.

* Who doesn't? ;-)

> So I'd like your opinion on Morphs, Squeaks UI.

Morphic, to me, as many things in Squeak, is just a playground, to test
new approaches and similar things. Such existance is really important,
there must be a playground field, and squeak is great for that.
I never saw Morphic on Self.

Squeak UI are completely non-conventional, and the morphic way, doesn't
scale, IMHO.

> Would that maybe be a better choice for me?

You decide.
My recomendation: build your own. You'll know a lot, and get a sci-fi
interface.

My two cents.

Best regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Sean Malloy-8
> Would that maybe be a better choice for me?

Build the UI using ST3D and DirectX, or even OpenGL?

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Günther,

> Dolphin seems really great when you want to create an App with a
> standard Windows UI, very nice set up for you. But what if you'd want
> something else?
> I reckon I'd have to go very deep into Dolphin, probably to the same
> level as the developers and I doubt that I will ever be able to.

In that case, I suggest you not attempt to go off on your own in user
interface design.  More below.

> So I'd like your opinion on Morphs, Squeaks UI.
>
> Would that maybe be a better choice for me?

I do a lot with emulated user interface elements, but it is motivated by
performance constraints.  If you are interested in creating a different
interface just for its own sake, then you have a lot of work ahead of
you.  FWIW, I notice a lot of Windows based software that seeks to
distinguish itself by appearance, and it invariably does not work very
well.  I think the best way to help your users is to spend your time
thinking about exactly what does and does not belong on context menus,
menu bar and buttons that are in plain view, etc.

You can, of course, generate your own graphics; some things are best
displayed graphically.  From recent threads, you can find that I favor
using a visitor-like object whose job it is to draw on a canvas.  Once
debugged, you can use it to create a custom view  or simply to fill an
image presenter.  Look at the Moen Tree for an example of the speed and
robustness that you can achieve.

Squeak's licensing and portability make it worth watching.  Morphic has
some strengths (its buffered redraw is quite good, and it is reasonably
friendly toward incremental development, at least as far as I've tried
it).  The big problem in Squeak's user interface is that its feel is
awful.  Don't overlook that in your evaluation.  I am not saying that
Squeak cannot be used for real software, but you will have a fair amount
to do to make it agreeable to your users.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Martin Rubi
Hello Gunther.

After reading your post and the answers, I think that if you can add some
comments on the type of UI you have in mind, you will get more accurate
estimates on the effort you will have to put there. It probably may vary a
lot depending on if it is a regular themed windows interface, a MorphicWorld
or a 3D Croquet like UI.

If you only want some look and feel differences, as in winamp, for instance,
then I think you can totally do it in dolphin.
If the differences are functional, then I just can not tell.

I also have the feeling that many programmers have already done some sort of
"not quite so regular windows" UI, or that sooner or later they will. I
don't know why, I find Dolphin UI much better (in terms of ease of use) than
many fancy UI I can find around there, but bosses and clients seem to not
share the thought. In that case, it would be nice to have some kind of UI
goodies to help programmers to get there, or at least to use them as a "how
to" repository.
I have the intention to eventually upload somewhere some UI goodies of my
own, but for now I could send you some of what I have done (by no means it
will be the correct or better way to do this things) so you can see if its
somewhere near your needs.

Best regards.
Martin

"Günther Schmidt" <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje
news:42016480$[hidden email]...

> Hi,
>
> I keep turning some thoughts in my head over and over and I'd need some
> input on them.
>
> The thing is I started programming with webapps in PHP, doing that for
> some years and making quit a nice living.
> After a while I got tired of it for two reasons basically
>
> first, there is only so much you can do with PHP and HTML
> second, its just about impossible to write generic WebApps.
>
> So I went for writing Desktop Apps, trying Scheme, Lisp and finally
> Smalltalk, and with Smalltalk I'll stay. (Avoiding C and C++ like hell).
>
> Since I'm going for Windows users, and because a few other reasons,
> Dolphin seems like the best choice.
>
> ... so far.
>

> Cause what I'd also like to do is write Apps with a more or less trivial
> business logic but with a real fancy UI.
> A UI for instance, that looks like some good Flash Apps look like, or
> one that you'd see in Science Fiction movies, a really cool one.
> I admit it, any app of mine is hardly ever gonna be some great piece of
> software, but I'll be damned if it will look as boring as the others.
>
> Dolphin seems really great when you want to create an App with a
> standard Windows UI, very nice set up for you. But what if you'd want
> something else?
> I reckon I'd have to go very deep into Dolphin, probably to the same
> level as the developers and I doubt that I will ever be able to.
>
> So I'd like your opinion on Morphs, Squeaks UI.
>
> Would that maybe be a better choice for me?
>
> Guenther

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Sebastián Sastre
> I have the intention to eventually upload somewhere some UI goodies of my
> own, but for now I could send you some of what I have done (by no means it
> will be the correct or better way to do this things) so you can see if its
> somewhere near your needs.

Martin, what kind of goodies have you done? More windows controls?

--
Sebastián Sastre
Seaswork

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Günther Schmidt
Dear Martin,

thanks.

I'm trying to find screenshots from a Squeak application called
"Exobox", which seem to habe vanished. The project itself has died, but
boy some screenshots.

Once I find them I'll send you the link, because they give an excellent
idea what I have in mind.

Günther

Martin schrieb:

> [...]
>>business logic but with a real fancy UI.
>>A UI for instance, that looks like some good Flash Apps look like, or
>>one that you'd see in Science Fiction movies, a really cool one.
>>I admit it, any app of mine is hardly ever gonna be some great piece of
>>software, but I'll be damned if it will look as boring as the others.
>>
>>Dolphin seems really great when you want to create an App with a
>>standard Windows UI, very nice set up for you. But what if you'd want
>>something else?
>>I reckon I'd have to go very deep into Dolphin, probably to the same
>>level as the developers and I doubt that I will ever be able to.
>>
>>So I'd like your opinion on Morphs, Squeaks UI.
>>
>>Would that maybe be a better choice for me?
>>
>>Guenther

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Hello, Sebastian.

> Martin, what kind of goodies have you done? More windows controls?

No, I would say they are more oriented towards making the same windows
controls look odd.
For instance, I was asked to make dialogs with custom back images, then with
rounded corners, then with some kind of custom border instead of an image,
then transparent and so on. So I've tried to make some kind of goodie to let
me define view painters instead of going through it all over and over again.
Some views were meant to be dragged, with some drag effects, such as
"sticking" to another view when they were passing by, so I also tried to
make a goodie to let me add this behaviour to any view with the less effort
possible.
I've done some controls that are not windows native, but they accomplish the
same task that a windows control would, such as a "lever control" instead of
a radio button group, or a scrub control instead of a scroll bar, etc.
It would be really nice to make controls that actually do something
different instead of just look different. But the only thing I did that
actually I could say eases user's life a little is a list wich elements
positions can be rearrenged using drag & drop.
Anyway, since applications cosmethics seem to be a rather important matter
(considering the time I was asked to dedicate to this issues), I was
thinking of rewriting some of this goodies and upload them in case anyone is
interested in such things.

Best regards.
Martin

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Günther Schmidt
Hola Sebastion,

since I've seen your name appear on the squeak mailing list also I
reckon you've also checked into squeak.

What's your impression about achieving what I want with Morphs?
Do you have experience with them?

Günther

Sebastián Sastre schrieb:
>>I have the intention to eventually upload somewhere some UI goodies of my
>>own, but for now I could send you some of what I have done (by no means it
>>will be the correct or better way to do this things) so you can see if its
>>somewhere near your needs.
>

> Martin, what kind of goodies have you done? More windows controls?

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Chris Uppal-3
Martin wrote:

> No, I would say they are more oriented towards making the same windows
> controls look odd.

When you do put your stuff on a website I'll definitely want to take a look
(don't need it right now, though).

    -- chris

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Martin Rubi
Ok, I will try to start uploading some of them, even in its "I'm not so
proud about having written this stuff" form, in the next couple of weeks.
Best regards.
Martin

"Chris Uppal" <[hidden email]> escribió en el
mensaje news:42075a52$2$38046$[hidden email]...
> Martin wrote:
>
> > No, I would say they are more oriented towards making the same windows
> > controls look odd.
>
> When you do put your stuff on a website I'll definitely want to take a
look
> (don't need it right now, though).
>
>     -- chris

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Günther Schmidt
Sean,

when I started this post I was hardly in any position to articulate what
I wanted because my ideas where still rather vague.

Now after having *played* a little more, my ideas have become more concret.

I did see Opencroquet and I'm very impressed with that, its UI in
particular.

Merely drawing shapes on a canvas is not the way I want to do it. I
still have to look at the moen tree implementation, it seems to
implement what I want, but limited to 2D I reckon.

I definately want to stay within Smalltalk, so I'll check on ST3D, that
might be the right thing.

I any case it will be a long road.

Günther

Bill Schwab schrieb:

> Günther,
>
>> Dolphin seems really great when you want to create an App with a
>> standard Windows UI, very nice set up for you. But what if you'd want
>> something else?
>> I reckon I'd have to go very deep into Dolphin, probably to the same
>> level as the developers and I doubt that I will ever be able to.
>

> In that case, I suggest you not attempt to go off on your own in user
> interface design.  More below.
>

>> So I'd like your opinion on Morphs, Squeaks UI.
>>
>> Would that maybe be a better choice for me?
>

> I do a lot with emulated user interface elements, but it is motivated by
> performance constraints.

Bill,

some time ago I read something about "emulated widgets", I think on the
object-arts website, but I can't find it anymore.
Could you elaborate on "emulated widgets" or if you've put it online
somewhere point me towards it?

Günther

(I hope you read this)

  If you are interested in creating a different

> interface just for its own sake, then you have a lot of work ahead of
> you.  FWIW, I notice a lot of Windows based software that seeks to
> distinguish itself by appearance, and it invariably does not work very
> well.  I think the best way to help your users is to spend your time
> thinking about exactly what does and does not belong on context menus,
> menu bar and buttons that are in plain view, etc.
>
> You can, of course, generate your own graphics; some things are best
> displayed graphically.  From recent threads, you can find that I favor
> using a visitor-like object whose job it is to draw on a canvas.  Once
> debugged, you can use it to create a custom view  or simply to fill an
> image presenter.  Look at the Moen Tree for an example of the speed and
> robustness that you can achieve.
>
> Squeak's licensing and portability make it worth watching.  Morphic has
> some strengths (its buffered redraw is quite good, and it is reasonably
> friendly toward incremental development, at least as far as I've tried
> it).  The big problem in Squeak's user interface is that its feel is
> awful.  Don't overlook that in your evaluation.  I am not saying that
> Squeak cannot be used for real software, but you will have a fair amount
> to do to make it agreeable to your users.
>
> Have a good one,
>
> Bill

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Arie van Wingerden-3
Hi,

in the following document I find a reference to the subject for Smalltalk/x
from Exept:
    http://www.cs.westminster.edu/~shaffer/Smalltalk/SmalltalkLinks.html

Further I found references to the Zurgle project in Squeak:
    http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2286

Since there is a lot more to be found I'll tell you a secret: don't use
Google anymore; instead use www.vinden.nl and search for "emulated widgets"
(including the double quotes) and you'll find lots of stuff   ;-)

   Arie van Wingerden

  # Alan Kay #

"Günther Schmidt" <[hidden email]> schreef in bericht
news:[hidden email]...

> Bill Schwab schrieb:
> > Günther,
> >
> >> Dolphin seems really great when you want to create an App with a
> >> standard Windows UI, very nice set up for you. But what if you'd want
> >> something else?
> >> I reckon I'd have to go very deep into Dolphin, probably to the same
> >> level as the developers and I doubt that I will ever be able to.
> >

> > In that case, I suggest you not attempt to go off on your own in user
> > interface design.  More below.
> >

> >> So I'd like your opinion on Morphs, Squeaks UI.
> >>
> >> Would that maybe be a better choice for me?
> >

> > I do a lot with emulated user interface elements, but it is motivated by
> > performance constraints.
>
> Bill,
>
> some time ago I read something about "emulated widgets", I think on the
> object-arts website, but I can't find it anymore.
> Could you elaborate on "emulated widgets" or if you've put it online
> somewhere point me towards it?
>
> Günther
>
> (I hope you read this)
>
>   If you are interested in creating a different
> > interface just for its own sake, then you have a lot of work ahead of
> > you.  FWIW, I notice a lot of Windows based software that seeks to
> > distinguish itself by appearance, and it invariably does not work very
> > well.  I think the best way to help your users is to spend your time
> > thinking about exactly what does and does not belong on context menus,
> > menu bar and buttons that are in plain view, etc.
> >
> > You can, of course, generate your own graphics; some things are best
> > displayed graphically.  From recent threads, you can find that I favor
> > using a visitor-like object whose job it is to draw on a canvas.  Once
> > debugged, you can use it to create a custom view  or simply to fill an
> > image presenter.  Look at the Moen Tree for an example of the speed and
> > robustness that you can achieve.
> >
> > Squeak's licensing and portability make it worth watching.  Morphic has
> > some strengths (its buffered redraw is quite good, and it is reasonably
> > friendly toward incremental development, at least as far as I've tried
> > it).  The big problem in Squeak's user interface is that its feel is
> > awful.  Don't overlook that in your evaluation.  I am not saying that
> > Squeak cannot be used for real software, but you will have a fair amount
> > to do to make it agreeable to your users.
> >
> > Have a good one,
> >
> > Bill

Re: Dolphin ST compared with Squeak - some advice please

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Günther,

> some time ago I read something about "emulated widgets", I think on the
> object-arts website, but I can't find it anymore.
> Could you elaborate on "emulated widgets" or if you've put it online
> somewhere point me towards it?

Start in Ian's archives; search for widgets and then filter to emulated,
or vice versa.  Also search for "gadgets".

The basic idea is the one that Squeak takes to advantage (though sadly
not quite enough of it), specificially that a user interface is really
just a mouse cursor moving around over a bitmapped image that changes in
response to the user and programmatic forces, generally with a queue to
keep some order.

There are arguments in favor of having the OS do the drawing and
managing the queue; I recognize them.  There are arguments against it
too, among them stability, performance, and performance in the case of
large numbers of widgets.  The latter is most likely to persist even
when the OS is of high quality and its vendor of high character.

Note that "look" is (or should be) easy to control; "feel" can be quite
difficult to get right.  The more widgets you need, the easier it is to
beat the C programmers and their compiler-switch optimized native
widgets.  Look at the Moen Tree for an example.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.