Dolphin Site Access-able?

Richard A. Harmon
Hi Dolphineers:

I've tried since yesterday to access the Dolphin web site
(www.object-arts.com) and am getting site not found, or not on line.
I haven't seen anything on the c.l.s.d that the site was down.  Is it
access-able?

I did a dumb thing screwing around yesterday deleting files and
changing my task bar (deleted a couple of things that auto start).  I
know better.  I fear I can't access the the Dolphin site because of
what I did.  I'm a little embarrassed but the web is still black magic
to me.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
[hidden email]           E. G. McCarthy

Re: Dolphin Site Access-able?

Neil Butterworth
"Richard A. Harmon" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Hi Dolphineers:
>
> I've tried since yesterday to access the Dolphin web site
> (www.object-arts.com) and am getting site not found, or not on line.
> I haven't seen anything on the c.l.s.d that the site was down.  Is it
> access-able?

Works fine for me. It sounds like you have not got an internet connection
for some reason. As you are interested in using Dolphiin, I'm assuming you
are using windows. Click on My Computer->Dial Up Networking and see what the
state of your connection is.

NeilB

Re: Dolphin Site Access-able?

Richard A. Harmon
On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:43:20 -0000, "Neil Butterworth"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>"Richard A. Harmon" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>news:[hidden email]...
>> Hi Dolphineers:
>>
>> I've tried since yesterday to access the Dolphin web site
>> (www.object-arts.com) and am getting site not found, or not on line.
>> I haven't seen anything on the c.l.s.d that the site was down.  Is it
>> access-able?
>
>Works fine for me. It sounds like you have not got an internet connection
>for some reason. As you are interested in using Dolphiin, I'm assuming you
>are using windows. Click on My Computer->Dial Up Networking and see what the
>state of your connection is.

Thanks for checking, but I don't think that's it.  I've got a
connection.  It works just fine for my email, news, and my browser for
every other site including ParisPages Musee duLouvre:

        http://www.paris.org/Musees/Louvre/

I thought it might have something to do with the Dolphin site being
outside the USA.

I did a dumb thing screwing around yesterday deleting files and
changing my task bar (deleted a couple of things that auto start).  I
know better.  I fear I can't access the Dolphin site because of
what I did.  I'm a little embarrassed but the web is still black magic
to me.

I thought I might have deleted the site lookup mechanism (read
clue-less and fearing web black magic) or some other magic part.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
[hidden email]           E. G. McCarthy

Re: Dolphin Site Access-able?

Neil Butterworth
"Richard A. Harmon" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:43:20 -0000, "Neil Butterworth"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >"Richard A. Harmon" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> >news:[hidden email]...
> >> Hi Dolphineers:
> >>
> >> I've tried since yesterday to access the Dolphin web site
> >> (www.object-arts.com) and am getting site not found, or not on line.
> >> I haven't seen anything on the c.l.s.d that the site was down.  Is it
> >> access-able?
> >
> >Works fine for me. It sounds like you have not got an internet connection
> >for some reason. As you are interested in using Dolphiin, I'm assuming
you
> >are using windows. Click on My Computer->Dial Up Networking and see what
the

> >state of your connection is.
>

> Thanks for checking, but I don't think that's it.  I've got a
> connection.  It works just fine for my email, news, and my browser for
> every other site including ParisPages Musee duLouvre:
>
> http://www.paris.org/Musees/Louvre/
>
> I thought it might have something to do with the Dolphin site being
> outside the USA.

Unlikely.

Can you connnect to the "real" Object Arts homepage at
http://www.object-arts.com/Home.htm

NeilB

Re: Dolphin Site Access-able?

Richard A. Harmon
NeilB, thanks for letting me know the site was up.

I took a walk to the library, used their connection, and the Dolphin
site came us just fine.

I re-downloaded Netscape's web browser, re-installed it, and sure
enough, the Dolphin site came us just fine.

I broke my web browser screwing around.  Bad Rick.  Bad Rick.

I break things in the weirdest ways--the only site I wanted to get to
was Dolphin's and it was the only one I couldn't access.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
[hidden email]           E. G. McCarthy

Re: Dolphin Site Access-able?

Don Rylander
Richard,
"Richard A. Harmon" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
[...]
> I broke my web browser screwing around.  Bad Rick.  Bad Rick.
[...]

Not to rain on your self-flagellation parade or anything, but it may well not
have been your fault.  Sometimes key parts of the infrastructure get overloaded
or go down for a bit, meaning that, from your perspective, part of the Internet
just isn't there for a while.  Bear in mind also that the network doesn't
necessarily follow geography.  You might lose your connection to, say,
microsoft.com, while your neighbor, who uses a different ISP, connects without
a problem.  If you're connection lets you receive any sort of traffic (i.e.,
it's not a firewall or secure router or some such thing) and you're curious,
try "tracert www.object-arts.com" at a commant prompt.  It should show the
route that traffic takes to get to the OA site.  Sometimes packets can go a
surprising distance out of their way just to get across town, much less across
the Atlantic.

Don