Dolphin Smalltalk Testimonial / Smalltalk testimonial

Dolphin Smalltalk Testimonial / Smalltalk testimonial

Eric Langjahr
I just have to share this.

===== And now a Dolphin Testimonial <g> =================

I have to admit I am thrilled with my Dolphin app.  I decided to
tackle something in Dolphin that I had started in C++ around 1 year
ago.  I have lots of C++ experience but don't like using relational db
stuff.  Tend to use BTRIEVE or Raima when I need database support in
C++.  Much easier and faster.

This particular project, however, is very database intensive (in fact
mostly database processing) and requires lots of dynamic handling of
tables and fields.  And it must use a real relational database backend
for lots of business reasons.

After around 1 month in C++ last year, I was forced to put the project
on hold.  The code wasn't done, and I ran into other project issues
that I didn't have time to sort out.

Now two weeks ago, I decided to solve a simpler project.  I still
didn't think the 'big' data project could be completed in a short time
frame.  I decided to tackle a simpler project that could give me 80%
of the benefit of the larger project in much less time.

After around 1 week I had solved the simpler project.  I then realized
that a) it really might not be 80% and b) perhaps I could use what I
had already done to tackle the much harder project.

Imagine my surprise when in just two days, I saw elements of this
harder project already working in ways that the C++ code never did.
All of a sudden I was tackling, and expecting to finish, this 'hard'
project which mentally, after my original experience, I had decided
was probably a six month task<g>.

Now in two weeks with dolphin, the code for this 'six month project'
is working fine.  I am not even going to use the simpler project I
completed first, except for reusing the code.  As someone once said ST
is not just for solving problems better, but for solving better
problems<g>

The new code not only works, but produces extensive audit trails and
logs of errors.  In looking at the old C++ code it is hard to see how
it would have evolved without LOTS more work to be as robust and have
similar audit trails and error logs.

And the other project issues I ran into were much easier to figure out
by hacking around in a workspace as compared to what I was doing last
year!

Even put some table processing code, which I had dreaded, into an MFC
application that is doing some processing currently from flat files.
Dolphin made me so happy I got this done in hours<g>.   So this MFC
app is slowing being migrated to this new database and will eventually
be replaced with a Dolphin app as well<g>.

So I am just completely thrilled.  This is a very critical app for my
business and I not only got it working with Dolphin quickly, but I
solved some harder problems that I wasn't solving before.

And dolphin saved me money too!  Just this week I got an email from a
vendor reminding me that my C++ relational library support contract
expires shortly.  What a coincidence!  The renewal is around $1400.
As things stand, I can get by with just the MFC table support in C++.
More complex things will be done in Dolphin.  Thats $1400 I wont't be
spending<g>!

I have to confess to having been one of those people who were just
completely disgusted by what PPD, Digitalk, and ObjectShare 'did' to
Smalltalk.  I was very disheartenend and stopped using Smalltalk
around 1-1/2 ago.  At one time I had current licenses for VAST, VW,
VSE, Smalltalk MT and Dolphin.  Not too mention some adjust tools too.
I let everything but Dolphin lapse.  Even though I have been using ST
in some capacity for around 15 years (very lite UI though).  [I will
probably reconsider getting at least one other license too.  Just
can't keep away].

Finally I decided that the only way I could get this done quickly, and
ROBUSTLY, was to take it up again in Smalltalk.

I am just so thrilled<g>.

So I just want to thank Object-Arts and all the people in the Dolphin
community.

The information on this newsgroup, on site like Ians and Bill Schwabs
sites, and lot of other stuff has all been immensely helpful.

I still have lots of news archives to go through too.

I guess what it all amounts to is that there is still no language,
from where I sit, that has the level of expressitivity, and just plain
productiveness of Smalltalk.

I am no longer disheartened by Java and other hype.  I realize there
are long term issues for ST.  But the fact remains, that there is
still a very strong and vibrant Smalltalk community.  And that most of
the great ideas in OO are STILL coming from the Smalltalk community

PPD, Digitalk, and ObjectShare couldn't kill it.  Java hasn't killed
it either.   And what you survive makes you stronger.   I see reasons
for optimism.  This could still be the Smalltalk decade.

GO Smalltalk.

Re: Dolphin Smalltalk Testimonial / Smalltalk testimonial

Frank Sergeant
"Eric Langjahr" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

>   And what you survive makes you stronger.

A slight correction, in my opinion: That which doesn't kill you (a) makes
you stronger or (b) makes you weaker or (c) leaves you neither stronger nor
weaker.  :-)

> ===== And now a Dolphin Testimonial <g> =================

Thanks for the testimonial.  I enjoyed it immensely.

-- Frank

Re: Dolphin Smalltalk Testimonial / Smalltalk testimonial

Andy Bower
Eric,

Thanks for the great testimonial. Have you considered posting this to
comp.lang.smalltalk.advocacy where it might help advocate for Smalltalk in
general (as well as Dolphin in particular)?

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com

---
Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk WikiWeb
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
---

> [...]

> sites, and lot of other stuff has all been immensely helpful.
>
> I still have lots of news archives to go through too.
>
> I guess what it all amounts to is that there is still no language,
> from where I sit, that has the level of expressitivity, and just plain
> productiveness of Smalltalk.
>
> I am no longer disheartened by Java and other hype.  I realize there
> are long term issues for ST.  But the fact remains, that there is
> still a very strong and vibrant Smalltalk community.  And that most of
> the great ideas in OO are STILL coming from the Smalltalk community
>
> PPD, Digitalk, and ObjectShare couldn't kill it.  Java hasn't killed
> it either.   And what you survive makes you stronger.   I see reasons
> for optimism.  This could still be the Smalltalk decade.
>
> GO Smalltalk.

Re: Dolphin Smalltalk Testimonial / Smalltalk testimonial

My news reader doesn't seem to have comp.lang.smalltalk.advocacy
available.  I will complain<g>.

In the meantime please feel free to repost it for me.

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:06:55 -0000, "Andy Bower"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> sites, and lot of other stuff has all been immensely helpful.
>>
>> I still have lots of news archives to go through too.
>>
>> I guess what it all amounts to is that there is still no language,
>> from where I sit, that has the level of expressitivity, and just plain
>> productiveness of Smalltalk.
>>
>> I am no longer disheartened by Java and other hype.  I realize there
>> are long term issues for ST.  But the fact remains, that there is
>> still a very strong and vibrant Smalltalk community.  And that most of
>> the great ideas in OO are STILL coming from the Smalltalk community
>>
>> PPD, Digitalk, and ObjectShare couldn't kill it.  Java hasn't killed
>> it either.   And what you survive makes you stronger.   I see reasons
>> for optimism.  This could still be the Smalltalk decade.
>>
>> GO Smalltalk.

Re: Dolphin Smalltalk Testimonial / Smalltalk testimonial

jWarrior
"EricL" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> My news reader doesn't seem to have comp.lang.smalltalk.advocacy
> available.  I will complain<g>.
>
> In the meantime please feel free to repost it for me.

done.