Dolphin "To Go"

Andy Bower
Folks,

We'd just like to keep you up to date with some of the features in the
forthcoming Dolphin 5 release.

The Professional version has improved application deployment that again
reduces the size of the executable files. For example, the console (non-GUI)
Hello World EXE is now 161K, down from the previous size of 368K.

We've also added a new feature, called Dolphin To Go. By turning this option
on in the deployment wizard you can choose to have your EXE statically
linked with the Dolphin VM. This means that, for simple applications, there
won't be a need for a separate installation program since the EXE will
include all the code necessary to run the app straight off. For example, try
the following links from a machine that doesn't have the Dolphin VM
installed on it:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/Downloads/5.0/HelloWorldToGo.exe (444K)
http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/Downloads/5.0/NotepadToGo.exe (514K)

Notice that the size of a "to go" application is still smaller than the
original Dolphin 4 EXE without the VM bound in.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: Dolphin "To Go"

Stefan Matthias Aust
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:9sgm7h$13583c$[hidden email]...

> The Professional version has improved application deployment that again
> reduces the size of the executable files. For example, the console
(non-GUI)
> Hello World EXE is now 161K, down from the previous size of 368K.

Really great. Being that small, Dolphin CGI applications seems to become
feasible. Will there be support in DS5 or is/was anybody else working on
this?  Having some experiences with CGI+Ruby (which I prefer over Perl or
Python because it's more powerful and feels more like Smalltalk) I could
imagine a nice framework for "quick and dirty" solutions. Too bad that
Dolphin still requires Windows :-)

> We've also added a new feature, called Dolphin To Go. By turning this
option
> on in the deployment wizard you can choose to have your EXE statically
> linked with the Dolphin VM.

I like that.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Truth Until Paradox

Re: Dolphin "To Go"

Joey Gibson-2
In article <9sgm7h$13583c$[hidden email]>, bower@object-
arts.com says...

> We'd just like to keep you up to date with some of the features in the
> forthcoming Dolphin 5 release.

        Can't wait...

> We've also added a new feature, called Dolphin To Go.

        Oooooohhhh Yahhhh!!! Very nice.

Joey

--
-- Sun Certified Java2 Programmer
-- My Pocket Smalltalk Stuff: www.joeygibson.com/st

Re: Dolphin "To Go"

jWarrior
"Joey Gibson" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> In article <9sgm7h$13583c$[hidden email]>, bower@object-
> arts.com says...
>
> > We've also added a new feature, called Dolphin To Go.
>
> Oooooohhhh Yahhhh!!! Very nice.

yes, indeed. makes distribution to non-techies sooooo much easier.

> Joey
>
> --
> -- Sun Certified Java2 Programmer
> -- My Pocket Smalltalk Stuff: www.joeygibson.com/st
> --
> -- "We thought about killin' him, but we kinda
> --  hated to go that far...." - Briscoe Darling

Re: Dolphin "To Go"

Nico de Boer
> Hello World EXE is now 161K, down from the previous size of 368K.
Without reducing the functionality? (Sorry :-))

Great work! When will all this nice stuff become available?

Nico