Dolphin crash when deploying ToGo application

Dolphin crash when deploying ToGo application

Yar Hwee Boon-3
Hi all,

I'm getting a crash when trying to deploy a ToGo application. The error
was 'MethodCategory does not understand #appendToStream:'. I checked the
prerequisites and they *seemed* alright. I tried doing a panic before I
deployed too. Anyone has any idea on how I can proceed to debug this? I
have a copy of the crash dump at
http://motionobj.com/temp/Professional.ERRORS-20040812 in case anyone
wanted to have a look. Thanks.

BTW, I noticed that near the top of the crash dump it said

"*----> Exception Parameters <----*
075AEFC4 MethodCategory does not understand #appe"

it seems the error message was truncated.

Also, I was under the impression that crash dump is enabled by default.
I'm guessing that because I installed 5.1 directly without 5.0, I only
have the registry keys for 5.1 and not 5.0 which the crash dump
implementation is looking for.

--
Regards
Hwee Boon

Re: Dolphin crash when deploying ToGo application

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hwee Boon,

> I'm getting a crash when trying to deploy a ToGo application. The error
> was 'MethodCategory does not understand #appendToStream:'. I checked
> the  prerequisites and they *seemed* alright. I tried doing a panic
> before I  deployed too. Anyone has any idea on how I can proceed to
> debug this? I  have a copy of the crash dump at
> http://motionobj.com/temp/Professional.ERRORS-20040812 in case anyone
> wanted to have a look. Thanks.

I had a deployment go wrong a little while ago, and IIRC, tracked it
down to a problem doing an STB conversion on a very old (in STB version
terms) image stripper that has been dormant for some time.  I don't
remember whether I set breakpoints, or was forced to use
#outputDebugString:.  Hopefully, the problem is occuring early enough in
stripping to allow you to use the debugger.

You can't simply check the prerequisites, check all packages.  My guess
is that you will find a problem with one of them.  If it is indeed an
old image stripper causing you trouble, you can nil the image stripper
bytes of the offending package(s) and then rebuild the stripper(s).

I recommend making a backup of your image before you start debugging; no
special reason, other than it is good advice.

Please feel free to post again if this is not helpful.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Dolphin crash when deploying ToGo application

Yar Hwee Boon-3
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:05:45 -0500, Bill Schwab <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You can't simply check the prerequisites, check all packages.  My guess
> is that you will find a problem with one of them.  If it is indeed an
> old image stripper causing you trouble, you can nil the image stripper
> bytes of the offending package(s) and then rebuild the stripper(s).
>
> I recommend making a backup of your image before you start debugging; no
> special reason, other than it is good advice.
>
> Please feel free to post again if this is not helpful.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I had ignored the usual advice to deploy from a
fresh image. And of course, when I tried that, it worked perfectly. My
bad. Sorry for the trouble. I assume you are referring to the stripper in
my "main" package? It looks ok, since it works in a fresh image. The other
packages *should* be ok too as I tried loading them into the fresh image
so that its similar to the working image but couldn't reproduce the
problem. If you or anyone have other suggestion, I'd still be hsppy in
knowing/trying. Thanks again.

--
Regards
Hwee Boon
MotionObj

Re: Dolphin crash when deploying ToGo application

Chris Uppal-3
Yar Hwee Boon wrote:

> I'm getting a crash when trying to deploy a ToGo application. The error
> was 'MethodCategory does not understand #appendToStream:'. I checked the
> prerequisites and they *seemed* alright. I tried doing a panic before I
> deployed too. Anyone has any idea on how I can proceed to debug this? I
> have a copy of the crash dump at
> http://motionobj.com/temp/Professional.ERRORS-20040812 in case anyone
> wanted to have a look. Thanks.

To me it looks as if something's going wrong as the image stripper attempts to
remove the class DolphinAddMethodChange.  It looks /plausible/ that that class
still has instances in the image, and one (at least) of them won't #printString
properly as Dolphin attempts to generate a warning Notification (presumably
because it holds a ref to the MethodCategory which does not understand
#appendToStream:).

I don't know if that will help you track down the problem, but at least it's a
place to start looking.

BTW, it also suggests that you are not deploying from a clean image.  If at all
possible, then I (and I don't think I'm alone in this) /strongly/ recommend
only ever deploying from a clean image -- you can easily loose a day or more
tracking down problems caused by odd bits of left-over state, and random
modifications in your working image.

    -- chris

Re: Dolphin crash when deploying ToGo application

Yar Hwee Boon-3
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:54:16 +0100, Chris Uppal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW, it also suggests that you are not deploying from a clean image.  If
> at all
> possible, then I (and I don't think I'm alone in this) /strongly/
> recommend
> only ever deploying from a clean image -- you can easily loose a day or
> more
> tracking down problems caused by odd bits of left-over state, and random
> modifications in your working image.

Looks like we posted around the same time (see my other post). But you are
right, it would have been a non-issue had I deployed from a fresh image in
the first place :P

--
Regards
Hwee Boon