Dolphin for Linux idea.

ImOk
It's very hot today so my brain is thinking irrationaly. Is there any
chance OA Dolphin could be ported over headless to Linux and Windows as
an open source and then let the community or OA create the GUIs
environment for it? It would be nice if it was Web centric like PHP.

I know the concept of Smalltalk development is different from all
languages including Ruby. But maybe it could have a very basic command
line editor like Ruby or Python has for filein text based code possibly
formatted as XML. and saving the image.

This same environment can also run under Windows to develop web based
applications. (Just like PHP)

The way I see this, is to actually start an instance of Dolphin image
and have it serve pages from your image by providing some ISAPI or
FastCGI process interface.

This would provide a huge following I think of programmers who like to
program for free. It would also provide OA with fame, fortune and money
since OA would be at the forefront of tools for Dolphin. Again look at
PHP.

Like I said, it's hot and I am thinking irrationally.

Thanks

Dolphin for .net [was: Dolphin for Linux idea]

Esteban A. Maringolo
ImOk escribió:
> It's very hot today so my brain is thinking irrationaly. Is there any
> chance OA Dolphin could be ported over headless to Linux and Windows as
> an open source and then let the community or OA create the GUIs
> environment for it? It would be nice if it was Web centric like PHP.

You're not the first to request this kind of deployment.
However, some folks had run Dolphin using Wine emulation.

> I know the concept of Smalltalk development is different from all
> languages including Ruby. But maybe it could have a very basic command
> line editor like Ruby or Python has for filein text based code possibly
> formatted as XML. and saving the image.

I foresee that kind of solution for deployment only.

> This same environment can also run under Windows to develop web based
> applications. (Just like PHP)
>
> The way I see this, is to actually start an instance of Dolphin image
> and have it serve pages from your image by providing some ISAPI or
> FastCGI process interface.

There was a FastCGI implementation for D5 made by Steve Waring.

It isn't hot here (50f), but with the advent of Windows Vista (and it's
server sequel) the .net platform propagation will grow a lot.
So having the ability to deploy a dolphin app to .net VM, headless or
not, would help to the propagation (healthy I hope) of Dolphin, and
lastly of Smalltalk. The Mono project will do the portability stuff.

Perhaps in the next version of Dolphin (Dolphin Vista? Dolphin.net?) we
can see the perfect coupling and integration of Dolphin with it's new
underlying platform (.net), as Dx6 and previous versions did with COM
and raw APIs.

Perhaps a product roadmap for Dolphin would help to envisage the future
of Dolphin and us as its developers.

However, Dx6 is one of the most productive tools and mind amplifier that
a developer can get today.

> This would provide a huge following I think of programmers who like to
> program for free. It would also provide OA with fame, fortune and money
> since OA would be at the forefront of tools for Dolphin. Again look at
> PHP.

Fame is ephemeral, fortune is random, money always help. :-)

> Like I said, it's hot and I am thinking irrationally.

Not so I would say.

Regards,

--
Esteban, dreaming awake