Dolphin locked to a specific machine ?

Sean
I've just downloaded the trial version of Dolphin Smalltalk. The trial
requires sending off for a serial number which locks the trial to a
particular machine via its ID.

My question is, if I were to buy a full license (I'm thinking the PRO
version), would that also lock Dolphin to a particular machine. My worry is
that if I needed to re-install Windows (not an infrequent activity
unfortunately) or if I upgrade or replace a computer the ID would change
and I would not be able to run Dolphin at least without having to reapply
for another serial number.

Also, although I am the only user, I do have a desktop and a laptop. Only
one machine is ever in use at once but I tend to move between the two
depending on whether I want to work in quietly in the office or work in the
living room watching TV with the family.  If Dolphin is machine locked I
wouldn't be able to do this.

Can anyone shed any light on these concerns ? I'm only a private Smalltalk
enthusiast and although Dolphin is inexpensive as these things go, $350 is
still quite a lot of cash for me and I need to make sure I can work the way
I want before splashing out.

Cheers,

Sean.

Re: Dolphin locked to a specific machine ?

Blair McGlashan-3
Sean

You wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
> I've just downloaded the trial version of Dolphin Smalltalk. The trial
> requires sending off for a serial number which locks the trial to a
> particular machine via its ID.
>
> My question is, if I were to buy a full license (I'm thinking the PRO
> version), would that also lock Dolphin to a particular machine. ...

No. You need have no such concerns. Only the trial copies are machine
locked. The Dolphin license explicitly permits its installation on as many
machines as you might wish, as long as it is only used by a single-user,
i.e. the licensing is per-user, not per machine.

Regards

Blair

Re: Dolphin locked to a specific machine ?

Sean Malloy-8
> My question is, if I were to buy a full license (I'm thinking the PRO
> version), would that also lock Dolphin to a particular machine. My worry
is
> that if I needed to re-install Windows (not an infrequent activity
> unfortunately) or if I upgrade or replace a computer the ID would change
> and I would not be able to run Dolphin at least without having to reapply
> for another serial number.

Definitely not a problem.

I have it installed on multiple machines (2 @ home and work) and VirtualPC
virtual machines. There is no machine affinity in the full version.

Re: Dolphin locked to a specific machine ?

Runar Jordahl-3
As the other posters say, there are no problems with this. You can install
on multiple computers. I found terms in the license agreement to be very
good.

Also note that there is no need to delay your purchase until version 6 is
released:

"Anyone who purchases Dolphin 5 from January 2004 onwards will be

upgraded to Dolphin 6 (when it becomes available) at only the

difference in price. Hence you won't be penalized by buying,­ or

upgrading to, Dolphin 5 now. " Andy Bower, Dolphin Support

So order today!