Dolphin plugin with IE 5.5

drtau
I previously was using IE 5.01 and NS 4.6.  I installed the Dolphin
plugin for NS, and the plugin worked fine for both browsers.  Then,
I upgraded to IE 5.5.  Now, the plugin still works for NS, but it
doesn't work for IE.  When I try using IE, I just see the "cube"
in the webpage, signifying that IE can't find the plugin to handle the
.pak file.  (Strangely enough, it does not forward me to the
PLUGINSPAGE URL to get the plugin.)  I've tried
uninstalling/re-installing without success.  I've even tried installing
the IE version of the Dolphin plugin (i.e. install into the IE plugins
directory), and IE still can't find the plugin.  Has anyone see this
before?  Is there any way to check that the IE plugin installed
properly (e.g. Get IE to display plugin info)? Thanks.

Re: Dolphin plugin with IE 5.5

Blair McGlashan
"drtau" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> I previously was using IE 5.01 and NS 4.6.  I installed the Dolphin
> plugin for NS, and the plugin worked fine for both browsers.  Then,
> I upgraded to IE 5.5.  Now, the plugin still works for NS, but it
> doesn't work for IE.  When I try using IE, I just see the "cube"
> in the webpage, signifying that IE can't find the plugin to handle the
> .pak file.  (Strangely enough, it does not forward me to the
> PLUGINSPAGE URL to get the plugin.)  I've tried
> uninstalling/re-installing without success.  I've even tried installing
> the IE version of the Dolphin plugin (i.e. install into the IE plugins
> directory), and IE still can't find the plugin.  Has anyone see this
> before?  Is there any way to check that the IE plugin installed
> properly (e.g. Get IE to display plugin info)? Thanks.

Have you tried deleting the registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.pak
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\MIME\application/x-dolphin-applet

Then exist all IExplore.exe processes, and try again. If it still doesn't
work check the registry to see if the keys have been created. If they
haven't been then IE is not finding the plugin at all. It should search both
Netscape's and its own plugin directory to locate plugins, however it never
revises the information it inserts into the registry, so if that gets out of
date then the symptom you are seeing will occur. Netscape uses a rather more
reliable scheme where it checks all the DLLs in its plugin directory when it
is loaded (perhaps one of the reasons it is so slow to start?).

Next try manually registering the Dolphin plugin DLL using Regsvr32.exe
(this should also delete the above keys BTW). Again exit and restart IE and
visit a page with an applet.

Regards

Blair

Re: Dolphin plugin with IE 5.5

drtau
Thanks for the speedy response Blair (you guys continue to amaze me with
the level of support that you provide - I'm glad I went with Dolphin :-)).

When I checked the registry for those keys that you mentioned, I found
that they were missing (there was no .pak or application/x-dolphin-applet
folder).  I tried running Regsvr32, and it ran successfully.  However, those
registry keys were still missing, even after starting IE.  So, I manually added
those keys (got the info from another machine that has the plugin working
for an older version of IE).  Still did not have any luck though, IE still can't
find the plugin.  I double-checked the registry to make sure those keys were
still there, and they were.  Any other suggestions?  Any other keys I should
check for?  Thanks.

Blair McGlashan wrote:

> Have you tried deleting the registry keys:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.pak
> and
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Plugins\MIME\application/x-dolphin-applet
>
> Then exist all IExplore.exe processes, and try again. If it still doesn't
> work check the registry to see if the keys have been created. If they
> haven't been then IE is not finding the plugin at all. It should search both
> Netscape's and its own plugin directory to locate plugins, however it never
> revises the information it inserts into the registry, so if that gets out of
> date then the symptom you are seeing will occur. Netscape uses a rather more
> reliable scheme where it checks all the DLLs in its plugin directory when it
> is loaded (perhaps one of the reasons it is so slow to start?).
>
> Next try manually registering the Dolphin plugin DLL using Regsvr32.exe
> (this should also delete the above keys BTW). Again exit and restart IE and
> visit a page with an applet.
>
> Regards
>
> Blair

Re: Dolphin plugin with IE 5.5

Blair McGlashan
"drtau" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
> Thanks for the speedy response Blair (you guys continue to amaze me with
> the level of support that you provide - I'm glad I went with Dolphin :-)).
>
> When I checked the registry for those keys that you mentioned, I found
> that they were missing (there was no .pak or application/x-dolphin-applet
> folder).  I tried running Regsvr32, and it ran successfully.  However,
those
> registry keys were still missing, even after starting IE.  So, I manually
added
> those keys (got the info from another machine that has the plugin working
> for an older version of IE).  Still did not have any luck though, IE still
can't
> find the plugin.  I double-checked the registry to make sure those keys
were
> still there, and they were.  Any other suggestions?  Any other keys I
should
> check for?  Thanks.

Hmmm. The fact that IE didn't create those keys itself would suggest that it
isn't able to locate the plugin at all for some reason. Presumably you have
it installed in the Netscape directory, where IE should find it (although
I'm not sure what technique it uses to determine where to look). If you've
added the keys manually, make sure that the Location value under the
Extension/.pak key is actually pointing at the location of your plugin DLL.
Mine is pointing at "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\PLUGINS\NPDolphin.DLL" because I don't have Netscape installed at
all at the moment. Also make sure that the Version value under the same key
matches the File Version of the DLL.

I would expect that after you re-register the plugin that the keys would be
gone, because it deliberately deletes them as part of its registration
process. Old versions of these keys can cause IE problems, so the usual
approach when things don't work is to start by deleting them so that IE can
rebuild them itself.

I am running the plugin myself on Win2K with IE 5.5 SP1 (exact version
reported is 5.50.4522.1800), so we would expect the plugin to work
successfully with IE5.5.

Regards

Blair

Re: Dolphin plugin with IE 5.5

Panu Viljamaa-2
Blair McGlashan wrote:

> Hmmm. The fact that IE didn't create those keys itself would suggest that it isn't able to locate the plugin at all for some reason.

> Mine is pointing at "C:\Program Files\Internet
> Explorer\PLUGINS\NPDolphin.DLL" because I don't have Netscape

I've had the problem with IExplorer too. One possible suspect is that in
my machine IExplorer is NOT installed in

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
But under something called

C:\Program Files\Plus!
So trying to do as the Dolphin installer suggested and  install the
plugin in 'Program Files\Internet Explorer' did not work.  Trying to
reinstall  the plugin to the Plus! -directory didn't work either,
perhaps because registry already pointed to the wrong location.

Should we blame the installer if it can't figure these things out ?

-Panu