Dolphin slowdown

Costas Menico
I am using Dolphin on my 450Mhz notebook with 1GB space.  It seems
that quite frequently it slows down to a crawl while I am browsing
classes and executing some simple code in worspaces.

I am assuming it is doing garbage collection but it is a bit obvious
about it.  Are thre any settings that can make it a little smarter?

Costas Menico

Re: Dolphin slowdown

Ian Bartholomew
Costas,

<[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I am using Dolphin on my 450Mhz notebook with 1GB space.  It seems
> that quite frequently it slows down to a crawl while I am browsing
> classes and executing some simple code in worspaces.
>
> I am assuming it is doing garbage collection but it is a bit obvious
> about it.  Are thre any settings that can make it a little smarter?

It wasn't a notebook but I used to run 3.0 on a 266 meg P2 with 64Mb of RAM
and I can't say I remember any crawling. How much memory has the notebook
got?

Ian

Re: Dolphin slowdown

Costas Menico
Ian,

>Costas,
>
><[hidden email]> wrote in message
>news:[hidden email]...
>> I am using Dolphin on my 450Mhz notebook with 1GB space.  It seems
>> that quite frequently it slows down to a crawl while I am browsing
>> classes and executing some simple code in worspaces.
>>
>> I am assuming it is doing garbage collection but it is a bit obvious
>> about it.  Are thre any settings that can make it a little smarter?
>
>It wasn't a notebook but I used to run 3.0 on a 266 meg P2 with 64Mb of RAM
>and I can't say I remember any crawling. How much memory has the notebook
>got?

It's a Compaq with 128MB ram and running Windows 98. When this happens
I can hear the HD starting to spin.  It only freezes Dolphin but any
other open apps run ok. I assumed that since Dolphin does so much more
than other apps, with GC and memory allocation, that it is causing the
problem.

I will check other settings like swap file size and fragmentation.

Regards,

Costas

Re: Dolphin slowdown

Bill Schwab
Costas,

> It's a Compaq with 128MB ram and running Windows 98. When this happens
> I can hear the HD starting to spin.  It only freezes Dolphin but any
> other open apps run ok. I assumed that since Dolphin does so much more
> than other apps, with GC and memory allocation, that it is causing the
> problem.
>
> I will check other settings like swap file size and fragmentation.

Dolphin is sometimes a little too polite.  Whether it yields too often, too
easily, or doesn't hog the CPU enough I can't say.  Run Access 97 along side
of Dolphin sometime and you'll likely see enourmous slowdowns.  Is there a
virus checker running on the machine?  If so, you might try _uninstalling_
it.  With at least one of them (don't recall which vendor), disabling it
wasn't enough - it still started some process that would never let go of the
CPU.

The disk bashing is not a familiar part of this though.  Do you have Novell
client software on the machine?  The newest version works but is a really
bad CPU hog.

Have a good one,

Bill

--