Dolphin upgrade suggestion...

Christopher J. Demers
When the Dolphin VM is upgraded and we need to use a new image it prompts
for the serial number the first time it is run.  I wonder if this could be
stored and loaded from the registry rather than only in the image so we
would not have to type in all the numbers again every time we upgrade.  I
have a version of Dolphin that has been upgraded from 3.x, so for that copy
I have to enter in quite a few serial numbers from the old packages and the
new number.

Chris

Re: Dolphin upgrade suggestion...

Bill Schwab-2
Chris,

> When the Dolphin VM is upgraded and we need to use a new image it prompts
> for the serial number the first time it is run.  I wonder if this could be
> stored and loaded from the registry rather than only in the image so we
> would not have to type in all the numbers again every time we upgrade.  I
> have a version of Dolphin that has been upgraded from 3.x, so for that
copy
> I have to enter in quite a few serial numbers from the old packages and
the
> new number.

I think it's appropriate for that kind of thing to be stored in the image
rather than on the machine.  I sometimes need to put an IDE on either an
end-user or server machine, and while the runtime environment stays, the
"keys" go away when I delete the image.  My hunch is that placing that info
in the registry would be less secure for OA and ultimately more trouble for
us.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Dolphin upgrade suggestion...

TheWizardTim
I agree with Chris that this process is a royal PITA but
OA needs to make money and at least this keeps the
casual hacker out.

Hopefully, some better process can be worked out in
the future.

Tim

"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:9n5vtt$5gn0f$[hidden email]...
> Chris,
>
> > When the Dolphin VM is upgraded and we need to use a new image it
prompts
> > for the serial number the first time it is run.  I wonder if this could
be
> > stored and loaded from the registry rather than only in the image so we
> > would not have to type in all the numbers again every time we upgrade.

> > have a version of Dolphin that has been upgraded from 3.x, so for that
> copy
> > I have to enter in quite a few serial numbers from the old packages and
> the
> > new number.
>
> I think it's appropriate for that kind of thing to be stored in the image
> rather than on the machine.  I sometimes need to put an IDE on either an
> end-user or server machine, and while the runtime environment stays, the
> "keys" go away when I delete the image.  My hunch is that placing that
info
> in the registry would be less secure for OA and ultimately more trouble
for

> us.
>
> Have a good one,
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Dolphin upgrade suggestion...

Andy Bower
Chris,

> When the Dolphin VM is upgraded and we need to use a new image it prompts
> for the serial number the first time it is run.  I wonder if this could be
> stored and loaded from the registry rather than only in the image so we
> would not have to type in all the numbers again every time we upgrade.  I
> have a version of Dolphin that has been upgraded from 3.x, so for that
copy
> I have to enter in quite a few serial numbers from the old packages and
the
> new number.

I agree that this is a pain in the ar** (note UK spelling) but there is
light at the end of the tunnel. For the next Dolphin release we will be
modifying the registration scheme somewhat. The end result should be that
you will no longer need to remember keys from previous Dolphin versions.
i.e. you will only have a single serial number to enter during the
installation process. Hopefully, this will solve most of the inconvenience
for you.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support