DolphinHarbor Shell project and Dolphin XP?

HCB

DolphinHarbor Shell project and Dolphin XP?

HCB
Hi all

When trying to install the Windows Shell package from DolphinHarbor
(http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/shell/index.html) I get the
following error:

---
The package 'DH Shell Core' contains objects that are already installed
in the image.

The following objects in the package are already installed in the
image:
        ShellLibrary>>SHChangeNotify:uFlags:dwItem1:dwItem2:,
IShellFolder>>idlFromPath:, ITEMIDLIST

If you proceed with installation the system will remove the clashing
items from their existing packages (if any).

This may change existing packages, and if you later uninstall this
package the clashing objects will be removed along with it.
---

Have anyone successfully ported it to Dolphin XP?

Kind regards
Hans Christian Bjørnstad

Re: DolphinHarbor Shell project and Dolphin XP?

David Gorisek-5
Try importing the package into STS repository and then manually resolve
conflicts with the code in your image.

Best regards,

David Gorisek

HCB

Re: DolphinHarbor Shell project and Dolphin XP?

HCB
Problem is I currently don't use STS, so I wouldn't know how to start.

I know I /should/ use STS, but haven't found the time to get to know
it.

Kind regards
Hans Christian Bjørnstad

Re: DolphinHarbor Shell project and Dolphin XP?

David Gorisek-5
Follow these simple steps:

1. Open "Source Tracking Tools" -> "Package Editions Browser" which will
prompt you to create repository database.

2. Right click in the top right pane and select "Import", then import
the D5 package.

3. Now you can load the package, STS will load everything it can into
the image.

But you can also selectively load code by doing the following:
  - create a package with the same name in your image,
  - right-click on the package in the System Browser and
    select "Compare with.."
  - you will then get a list of all differences between your empty
    package in the image and all the code which is in the repository.
  - now you can load only the code which you need.

Best regards,

David Gorisek

HCB wrote:
> Problem is I currently don't use STS, so I wouldn't know how to start.
>
> I know I /should/ use STS, but haven't found the time to get to know
> it.
>
> Kind regards
> Hans Christian Bjørnstad

Re: DolphinHarbor Shell project and Dolphin XP?

Chris Uppal-3
David Gorisek wrote:

> Follow these simple steps:

An alternative, and also reasonably simple, method for those who don't, won't,
or can't use STS:

Save your image.
Load the package, making a note of any methods (etc) the system warns about.
Remove those methods from the package (don't delete them).
Save the package.
Abandon the image /without/ saving.

Now restart your saved image, and you should be able to load the package
without problems.

You may want to make a backup of the original package file before overwriting
it.

If you want to verify that the methods have the same definition in the original
package and in the newer Dolphin code-base, there are several options (besides
STS).  One is to use Ian Bartholomew's Chunk Browser on the .pac file before
command (from a method list's context menu) to see the different versions after

    -- chris

HCB

Re: DolphinHarbor Shell project and Dolphin XP?

HCB
Tried to proceed the way David proposed, but grinded to a halt, when I
got to the point of trying to decide what i could delete. :-)

Just tried what Chris proposed, but when trying to save the package i
get the following:

---
Cannot save package 'DH Shell Core'

Package cannot be saved

The package will NOT load if saved in this form so the package file has
not been saved.

Would you like to browse the packages prerequisites in order to track
down the problem?
---

Hmmm, i'm at a loss of what to do?

Kinds regards
Hans Christian

Re: DolphinHarbor Shell project and Dolphin XP?

Chris Uppal-3
> Just tried what Chris proposed, but when trying to save the package i
> get the following:
>
> ---
> Cannot save package 'DH Shell Core'
>
> Package cannot be saved
>
> The package will NOT load if saved in this form so the package file has
> not been saved.
>
> Would you like to browse the packages prerequisites in order to track
> down the problem?
> ---
>
> Hmmm, i'm at a loss of what to do?

I think what's happened is that you've fixed the two methods the popup
mentioned, but missed the class (ITEMIDLIST) it also mentioned.

First off, in order to see how to diagnose this.   The last sentence of the
popup message (which could usefully be more explicit) is telling you that there
is a problem with the package pre-requisites (or it wouldn't be asking if you
wanted to browse them).  Either answer yes, or go to the prerequisites pane of
the Package Browser.

In the upper panel right click, and select "show status icons".  Packages which
are "legal" will have green ticks, illegal ones will have red crosses.  Here
"legal" means that it has no cyclic prerequisites (if a package has a cycle in
its list of prerequisites then it can't be loaded or saved).  You'll see that
the modified package has a cycle.  Use the lower pane to see why it depends on
a package which in turn depends on it.  You'll find that one of the system
packages (perhaps Dolphin -- I don't remember) depends on it because some
system method refers to ITEMIDLIST, but that class is still in Steve's package.
Aha!

So, we have to remove that class from the package too. That's easy, but you
have to remember to put it back into the system package it /should/ have been
in (actually the 'Windows Shell' package), or you still won't be able to save.
Once you've done that you should be able to save the package, and abandon that
image.  Start again with the modified package and everything should work OK.
It seems to work for me, anyway, though I haven't run the tests.

There is one bug I noticed, caused by the changes to AbstractTreeModel in D6.
You should add a class side method to ShellTreeModel overriding the default
search policy.
============
defaultSearchPolicy
    ^SearchPolicy equality
============
Also, remove the instance side implementation of #searchPolicy, and change
#setRoots so that the first line is:
    super setRoots: aCollection.
instead of:
     self basicRoots: aCollection.

There may be other problems, but that should get you started.

    -- chris

HCB

Re: DolphinHarbor Shell project and Dolphin XP?

HCB
Just want to say thanks to both David and Chris! :-)

Following the methode Chris posted in last post, I finally got it up
and running!

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards
Hans Christian