DolphinShareware Software Registration

German Arduino
Hi Folks:

I've almost ended an application that I plan to sell as shareware (try
before buy).

I need to think and develop a registration system, that permit to trial
the application by a fixed time and by quantity of uses. Also, the same
system must permit to register the application to the user that buy it.

I've already thinked in several ideas (trying not use the Windows
registry) but I'm interested in know what systems of
protection/registration use the other Dolphin developers.

Also if exist some "goodie" or "commercial" system to do this (not using
  external peripheral as USB pen drive nor nothing of these stuff).

Any comment/suggestion/idea/reference will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
gsa.

Re: DolphinShareware Software Registration

Janos
German,

I have seen only independent installers like inno setup, or qsetup
mentioned by Andy for Dalektron, or Ian mentioned installmakers. I have
not used any until now, just saw the names.

I hope this helps,
Janos

Re: DolphinShareware Software Registration

Bruno Brasesco
German,

Create a hierachy of Licences.
Licence
        PermanentCommercialLicence
        TimeFixedLincence
        etc.

Encript the instances variables values a then using binary filing dump
to a file.
Your application read this file to obtain the licence information.
When your customer buy your product, send to him another file with the
correct licence.

Regards Bruno

> Hi Folks:
>
> I've almost ended an application that I plan to sell as shareware (try
> before buy).
>
> I need to think and develop a registration system, that permit to trial
> the application by a fixed time and by quantity of uses. Also, the same
> system must permit to register the application to the user that buy it.
>
> I've already thinked in several ideas (trying not use the Windows
> registry) but I'm interested in know what systems of
> protection/registration use the other Dolphin developers.
>
> Also if exist some "goodie" or "commercial" system to do this (not using
>  external peripheral as USB pen drive nor nothing of these stuff).
>
> Any comment/suggestion/idea/reference will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in Advance.
> gsa.

Re: DolphinShareware Software Registration

rush
"German Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> I've almost ended an application that I plan to sell as shareware (try
> before buy).
>
> I need to think and develop a registration system, that permit to trial
> the application by a fixed time and by quantity of uses. Also, the same
> system must permit to register the application to the user that buy it.
>
> I've already thinked in several ideas (trying not use the Windows
> registry) but I'm interested in know what systems of
> protection/registration use the other Dolphin developers.

Hello,

I have 2 Dolphin apps that I sell, and my approach to registration process
is to keep it simple and unintrusive to decent customers, even if some
skimmer my get himself a free ride.

I generally use stuff allredy built into the Dolphin, namely protected
packages and product keys. When customer purchases product he gets himeself
a registration key, and he needs to enter this key into the application
which in turn saves it into the registry. App checks this key in order to
enable/disable some functions in the program. Additionaly some part of that
algorithm for those functions could be stored in the protected package.

I guess one could go on, and add keys that are bound into the hardware, then
add dynamic locytions whre key is stored depending on something, etc, etc.

But I am quite content with current level of protection.

Hope that helped you a bit.

rush
--
http://www.templatetamer.com/
http://www.folderscavenger.com/

Re: DolphinShareware Software Registration

Fernando Rodríguez
Hello German,

> Hi Folks:
>
> I've almost ended an application that I plan to sell as shareware (try
> before buy).
>
> I need to think and develop a registration system, that permit to
> trial the application by a fixed time and by quantity of uses. Also,
> the same system must permit to register the application to the user
> that buy it.
>
> I've already thinked in several ideas (trying not use the Windows
> registry) but I'm interested in know what systems of
> protection/registration use the other Dolphin developers.

My recomendation is to avoid reinventing the wheel, as you may end up reinventing
the flat tire. I use Armadillo (now called Software Passport: http://siliconrealms.com/armadillo.shtml)
for protection and both SWREG and ShareIT for payment processing.

Fernando Rodríguez wrote:

> Hello German,
>
>> Hi Folks:
>>
>> I've almost ended an application that I plan to sell as shareware (try
>> before buy).
>>
>> I need to think and develop a registration system, that permit to
>> trial the application by a fixed time and by quantity of uses. Also,
>> the same system must permit to register the application to the user
>> that buy it.
>>
>> I've already thinked in several ideas (trying not use the Windows
>> registry) but I'm interested in know what systems of
>> protection/registration use the other Dolphin developers.
>

> My recomendation is to avoid reinventing the wheel, as you may end up
> reinventing the flat tire. I use Armadillo (now called Software
> Passport: http://siliconrealms.com/armadillo.shtml) for protection and
> both SWREG and ShareIT for payment processing.

Thanks by all the opinions, will see what thing I implement.

Cheers.