Domite installation in a project created with ``amber init``? (was Re: [amber-lang] Web alternative)

Domite installation in a project created with ``amber init``? (was Re: [amber-lang] Web alternative)

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/9/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> After installing Amber version 0.14.13 and following the README
>>
>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/domite
>>
>>      bower install domite --save
>
> In newly created project or in clone of the url above?

In a new project created with

     amber init

>>      npm install
>>      bower install
>>      grunt devel
>>      amber serve
>>
>> the Domite category does not show up in the the categories list.
>>

>> Besides
>> Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented
>> instead. jquery.js:4923
>
> That's jQuery's problem, not ours, afaict ;-)
>
>> No particular error is indicated in the browser web console.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions how to fix this?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> --Hannes
>
> P.S.: Why in this thread? It was about the idea, not about particulars...

Re: Domite installation in a project created with ``amber init``? (was Re: [amber-lang] Web alternative)

Herby Vojčík

Dňa 9. apríla 2015 18:24:51 CEST používateľ "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> napísal:

> On 4/9/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > H. Hirzel wrote:
> >> Hello again,
> >>
> >> After installing Amber version 0.14.13 and following the README
> >>
> >> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/domite
> >>
> >>      bower install domite --save
> >
> > In newly created project or in clone of the url above?
>
> In a new project created with
>
>      amber init
>

> >>      npm install
> >>      bower install
> >>      grunt devel
> >>      amber serve
> >>
> >> the Domite category does not show up in the the categories list.

Of course, since it isn't loaded. Only packages that loadlists depend on, directly or indirectly, are loaded.

For the library like domite, where you likely won't subclass or add extension methods, just use existing code, so implicit dependency won't be established, the best practice is to add the library it to `imports:` of all packages that use it (in case of new project, the one app code package).

Re: Domite installation in a project created with ``amber init``? (was Re: [amber-lang] Web alternative)

Hannes Hirzel
In Helios I change

    Package
    named: 'Hhtest'
        imports: {}
  transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')

    Package
        named: 'Hhtest'
        imports: {'Domite'}
        transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')

and hit the 'save it' button.

After reloading the page 'Domite' has not been added and I still have

H. Hirzel wrote:

> In Helios I change
>

>      Package
>     named: 'Hhtest'
> imports: {}
>     transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')

>      Package
> named: 'Hhtest'
> imports: {'Domite'}
> transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')
>

> and hit the 'save it' button.

Do you do the same with other changes, like adding methods? 'Save it' and then reload? I can assure you if you did this with a method, if would also not show up. ;-)

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I just felt like it, as you are using Amber for long enough to know the difference between save and commit.

> After reloading the page 'Domite' has not been added and I still have
>

>      Package
>     named: 'Hhtest'
> imports: {}
>     transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')
>

> --Hannes
>
> On 4/9/15, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> Dňa 9. apríla 2015 18:24:51 CEST používateľ "H. Hirzel"
>> <[hidden email]
m>  napísal:

H. Hirzel wrote:

> In Helios I change
>

>      Package
>     named: 'Hhtest'
> imports: {}
>     transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')

>      Package
> named: 'Hhtest'
> imports: {'Domite'}

The case is, maybe you actually committed and the problem is here.
`imports:` is meant for loader, so it contains AMD module names (it does
not care if it is an amber package or what, its main use case is to add
dependence on external, non-Amber libs).

> transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')
>

> and hit the 'save it' button.
>
> After reloading the page 'Domite' has not been added and I still have
>

>      Package
>     named: 'Hhtest'
> imports: {}
>     transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')
>

> --Hannes
>
> On 4/9/15, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> Dňa 9. apríla 2015 18:24:51 CEST používateľ "H. Hirzel"
>> <[hidden email]>  napísal:

>>> In a new project created with
>>>
>>>       amber init

>> Of course, since it isn't loaded. Only packages that loadlists depend on,
>> directly or indirectly, are loaded.
>>
>> For the library like domite, where you likely won't subclass or add
>> extension methods, just use existing code, so implicit dependency won't be
>> established, the best practice is to add the library it to `imports:` of all
>> packages that use it (in case of new project, the one app code package).

Re: Domite installation in a project created with ``amber init``? (was Re: [amber-lang] Web alternative)

Hannes Hirzel
I understand that you say

   Package
        named: 'Hhtest'
        imports: {'Domite'}

is not the place where I need to tell Amber that my package depends on Domite.

But where do I do I tell Amber to do so?

The README https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/domite is  silent on that.

--HH

On 4/10/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> In Helios I change
>>

>>      Package
>>     named: 'Hhtest'
>> imports: {}
>>     transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')

>>      Package
>> named: 'Hhtest'
>> imports: {'Domite'}
>
> The case is, maybe you actually committed and the problem is here.
> `imports:` is meant for loader, so it contains AMD module names (it does
> not care if it is an amber package or what, its main use case is to add
> dependence on external, non-Amber libs).
>
>> transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')
>>

>> and hit the 'save it' button.
>>
>> After reloading the page 'Domite' has not been added and I still have
>>

>>      Package
>>     named: 'Hhtest'
>> imports: {}
>>     transport: (AmdPackageTransport namespace: 'amber-hhtest')
>>

>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 4/9/15, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Dňa 9. apríla 2015 18:24:51 CEST používateľ "H. Hirzel"
>>> <[hidden email]>  napísal:

>>> Of course, since it isn't loaded. Only packages that loadlists depend
>>> on,
>>> directly or indirectly, are loaded.
>>>
>>> For the library like domite, where you likely won't subclass or add
>>> extension methods, just use existing code, so implicit dependency won't
>>> be
>>> established, the best practice is to add the library it to `imports:` of
>>> all
>>> packages that use it (in case of new project, the one app code package).

Re: Domite installation in a project created with ``amber init``? (was Re: [amber-lang] Web alternative)

Herby Vojčík

Dňa 10. apríla 2015 13:39:25 CEST používateľ "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> napísal:
> I understand that you say
>
>    Package
>         named: 'Hhtest'
>         imports: {'Domite'}
>
> is not the place where I need to tell Amber that my package depends on
> Domite.

But of course, that:s what it is for.

???

Re: Domite installation in a project created with ``amber init``? (was Re: [amber-lang] Web alternative)

Hannes Hirzel
OK, but what do I need to put into the curly brackets

    imports: {}

The following does not work

 imports: {'Domite'}