Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have no idea what causes it.  Given my recent adventures in to startup/shutdown, I suppose it could be due to a problem there??  It seems to be triggered by saving the image w/o quitting.  This recent occurance was different in that I started noting that the text in browsers looked different to me, perhaps just that the method name was not bold??  Something was not quite right, but the text still looked to be rendered well.  Shortly thereafter, the full breakdown happened with everything rendered in an ugly font.  It seems safe to save the image in this state, and exiting and re-loading the image fixes is.  Any ideas?

Bill

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Douglas Brebner
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have no idea what causes it.  Given my recent adventures in to startup/shutdown, I suppose it could be due to a problem there??  It seems to be triggered by saving the image w/o quitting.  This recent occurance was different in that I started noting that the text in browsers looked different to me, perhaps just that the method name was not bold??  Something was not quite right, but the text still looked to be rendered well.  Shortly thereafter, the full breakdown happened with everything rendered in an ugly font.  It seems safe to save the image in this state, and exiting and re-loading the image fixes is.  Any ideas?

I had the truetype fonts disappear but doing

FreeTypeFontProvider current updateFromSystem.

fixed it. I don't know if that's the correct way to do it though

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

csrabak
Em  31/08/2009 15:42,  Schwab,Wilhelm K  <[hidden email]> escreveu:

>     Hello all,
>
>     I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have
> no  idea  what   causes  it.  Given  my  recent   adventures  in  to
> startup/shutdown, I suppose it could  be due to a problem there?? It
> seems to be triggered by  saving the image w/o quitting. This recent
> occurance was  different in that I  started noting that  the text in
> browsers looked different  to me, perhaps just that  the method name
> was not  bold?? Something  was not quite  right, but the  text still
> looked to  be rendered well. Shortly thereafter,  the full breakdown
> happened with everything rendered in  an ugly font. It seems safe to
> save the image  in this state, and exiting  and re-loading the image
> fixes is. Any ideas?

Bill,

I noticed that in the #10419 episode.

HTH

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Andrew Tween
Hi Bill,
I can reproduce this by repeatedly saving without quitting (on windows vista).
I suspect that some face handles are no being closed properly at shutdown.

When a face handle is open, then the FreeType library also has the associated file open.
But there is a limit to the number of open file handles - see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1061   for more info on this.

When I have figured out what is going wrong in the shutdown, I'll post a fix.
Is there a bug issue number for this problem? If not, I'll create one.

Cheers,
Andy

.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:42:13 -0400
> Subject: [Pharo-project] Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)
>
> Hello all,
>
> I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have no idea what causes it. Given my recent adventures in to startup/shutdown, I suppose it could be due to a problem there?? It seems to be triggered by saving the image w/o quitting. This recent occurance was different in that I started noting that the text in browsers looked different to me, perhaps just that the method name was not bold?? Something was not quite right, but the text still looked to be rendered well. Shortly thereafter, the full breakdown happened with everything rendered in an ugly font. It seems safe to save the image in this state, and exiting and re-loading the image fixes is. Any ideas?
>
> Bill

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Andrew Tween
The bug report, and a fix, are here - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1135

Cheers,
Andy

.

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:16:27 +0100
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Hi Bill,
I can reproduce this by repeatedly saving without quitting (on windows vista).
I suspect that some face handles are no being closed properly at shutdown.

When a face handle is open, then the FreeType library also has the associated file open.
But there is a limit to the number of open file handles - see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1061   for more info on this.

When I have figured out what is going wrong in the shutdown, I'll post a fix.
Is there a bug issue number for this problem? If not, I'll create one.

Cheers,
Andy

.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:42:13 -0400
> Subject: [Pharo-project] Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)
>
> Hello all,
>
> I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have no idea what causes it. Given my recent adventures in to startup/shutdown, I suppose it could be due to a problem there?? It seems to be triggered by saving the image w/o quitting. This recent occurance was different in that I started noting that the text in browsers looked different to me, perhaps just that the method name was not bold?? Something was not quite right, but the text still looked to be rendered well. Shortly thereafter, the full breakdown happened with everything rendered in an ugly font. It seems safe to save the image in this state, and exiting and re-loading the image fixes is. Any ideas?
>
> Bill

Add other email accounts to Hotmail in 3 easy steps. Find out how.

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Andy,

It is not a big problem.  When it happens, I simply close the image and re-open it.  Clearly any memory leaks should be fixed, but I might be able to help a little; I appear to have something that can tell when an image opens and when it closes, and that is an important part of Dolphin's standard approach to external resources.  Perhaps it is just my Dolphin bias showing, but it strikes me as something that needs to be fixed, and I would like to have others test it to look for problems.  I will try to follow this with a separate message that will make the code easier to load.

Bill

I can reproduce this by repeatedly saving without quitting (on windows vista).
I suspect that some face handles are no being closed properly at shutdown.

When a face handle is open, then the FreeType library also has the associated file open.
But there is a limit to the number of open file handles - see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1061   for more info on this.

When I have figured out what is going wrong in the shutdown, I'll post a fix.
Is there a bug issue number for this problem? If not, I'll create one.

Cheers,
Andy

.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:42:13 -0400
> Subject: [Pharo-project] Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)
>
> Hello all,
>
> I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have no idea what causes it. Given my recent adventures in to startup/shutdown, I suppose it could be due to a problem there?? It seems to be triggered by saving the image w/o quitting. This recent occurance was different in that I started noting that the text in browsers looked different to me, perhaps just that the method name was not bold?? Something was not quite right, but the text still looked to be rendered well. Shortly thereafter, the full breakdown happened with everything rendered in an ugly font. It seems safe to save the image in this state, and exiting and re-loading the image fixes is. Any ideas?
>
> Bill

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Andy,

So much for your needing my help :)   I'll still post the session manager.  Thanks!

Bill

I can reproduce this by repeatedly saving without quitting (on windows vista).
I suspect that some face handles are no being closed properly at shutdown.

When a face handle is open, then the FreeType library also has the associated file open.
But there is a limit to the number of open file handles - see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1061   for more info on this.

When I have figured out what is going wrong in the shutdown, I'll post a fix.
Is there a bug issue number for this problem? If not, I'll create one.

Cheers,
Andy

.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:42:13 -0400
> Subject: [Pharo-project] Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)
>
> Hello all,
>
> I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have no idea what causes it. Given my recent adventures in to startup/shutdown, I suppose it could be due to a problem there?? It seems to be triggered by saving the image w/o quitting. This recent occurance was different in that I started noting that the text in browsers looked different to me, perhaps just that the method name was not bold?? Something was not quite right, but the text still looked to be rendered well. Shortly thereafter, the full breakdown happened with everything rendered in an ugly font. It seems safe to save the image in this state, and exiting and re-loading the image fixes is. Any ideas?
>
> Bill

Add other email accounts to Hotmail in 3 easy steps. Find out how.

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Thanks a **lot** andy
We will integrate that in the next phase

Stef

On Aug 31, 2009, at 10:50 PM, Andrew Tween wrote:

> The bug report, and a fix, are here - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1135
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> .
>

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:16:27 +0100
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)
>
> Hi Bill,
> I can reproduce this by repeatedly saving without quitting (on
> windows vista).
> I suspect that some face handles are no being closed properly at
> shutdown.
>
> When a face handle is open, then the FreeType library also has the
> associated file open.
> But there is a limit to the number of open file handles - see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1061
>    for more info on this.
>
> When I have figured out what is going wrong in the shutdown, I'll
> post a fix.
> Is there a bug issue number for this problem? If not, I'll create one.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>

> .
>

> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:42:13 -0400
> > Subject: [Pharo-project] Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have
> no idea what causes it. Given my recent adventures in to startup/
> shutdown, I suppose it could be due to a problem there?? It seems to
> be triggered by saving the image w/o quitting. This recent occurance
> was different in that I started noting that the text in browsers
> looked different to me, perhaps just that the method name was not
> bold?? Something was not quite right, but the text still looked to
> be rendered well. Shortly thereafter, the full breakdown happened
> with everything rendered in an ugly font. It seems safe to save the
> image in this state, and exiting and re-loading the image fixes is.
> Any ideas?
> >
> > Bill

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have no idea what causes it.  Given my recent adventures in to startup/shutdown, I suppose it could be due to a problem there??  It seems to be triggered by saving the image w/o quitting.  This recent occurance was different in that I started noting that the text in browsers looked different to me, perhaps just that the method name was not bold??  Something was not quite right, but the text still looked to be rendered well.  Shortly thereafter, the full breakdown happened with everything rendered in an ugly font.  It seems safe to save the image in this state, and exiting and re-loading the image fixes is.  Any ideas?

Bill, can you please tell us if Andy's fix fixes your problem? Write
that on the tracker.

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Schwab,Wilhelm K

Damien, Andy,

That's a fair question. Do we have any idea how many saves should be required to cause the failure?

Bill

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I periodically see a degradation of anti-aliased fonts, and have no idea what causes it.  Given my recent adventures in to startup/shutdown, I suppose it could be due to a problem there??  It seems to be triggered by saving the image w/o quitting.  This recent occurance was different in that I started noting that the text in browsers looked different to me, perhaps just that the method name was not bold??  Something was not quite right, but the text still looked to be rendered well.  Shortly thereafter, the full breakdown happened with everything rendered in an ugly font.  It seems safe to save the image in this state, and exiting and re-loading the image fixes is.  Any ideas?

Bill, can you please tell us if Andy's fix fixes your problem? Write that on the tracker.

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Don't ask me how to reproduce this one :)

Andrew Tween
Hi Bill,
Using a freshly downloaded pharo1.0-10418-BETAdev09.08.3.image , under Windows Vista, it fails after the 19th save.

(which seems to makes sense, since there are two font faces being displayed, and I know that the max number of open file handles before failure is 37.
19 x 2 = 38, which is > 37)

Cheers,
Andy

.