"Don't make me think"...

Adrian Lienhard
... is a good usability guideline.

Now, this question (see attached screenshot) made me think a lot ;-).
And surprising enough, it even proposes "thinking" as one of the
answers (as if the developer knew upfront that the user is going to
have a hard time to guess right). I have no clue what the right
answer should be. Does anybody know what this is all about?

Btw, using latest 3.9a image, and the default SM bugfixing technique
(*) solved this problem too.

Cheers
Adrian

(*) deleting the sm directory

___________________
Adrian Lienhard
www.adrian-lienhard.ch

Picture 1.png (18K) Download Attachment

Re: "Don't make me think"...

Damien Cassou-3
I got this message three days ago while playing with squeak. I removed
the image and changes files :-)

--
Damien Cassou

Re: "Don't make me think"...

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... is a good usability guideline.
>
> Now, this question (see attached screenshot) made me think a lot ;-).
> And surprising enough, it even proposes "thinking" as one of the
> answers (as if the developer knew upfront that the user is going to
> have a hard time to guess right). I have no clue what the right
> answer should be. Does anybody know what this is all about?

Yes, this is about how an image with the "wrong" classes should load an
ImageSegment.
The code asking the questions is not SM itself - it is
ImageSegment/SmartRefStream code getting into trouble.

Now, the issue is that if you have multiple images sharing the same "sm"
dir (which is fine in principle) and you update one of those images to
the current new SM 2.2 - then when the old images try to synch with disk
(which they do when you fire up the SMLoader) they end up trying to load
an ImageSegment produced by the SM master server running 3.8 into a 3.7
image - which is a NO GO as I mentioned earlier here:

        http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-April/10228
6.html

Now, it would be dandy if I had thought about this scenario "yesterday"
and added code that can handle "new" ImageSegments and do something
"smart" - unfortunately I didn't have that foresight and I can't
magically "fix" all images already out there.

> Btw, using latest 3.9a image, and the default SM bugfixing technique
> (*) solved this problem too.

Let me repeat:

1. For the above issue - press alt-. and then instead execute
"SMSqueakMap bootStrap" which will force an upgrade of SM in the image.
No need to nuke the sm dir.

2. Even if you feel tempted to delete the whole "sm" dir, it is
sufficient to delete the .sgz files. That way you don't needlessly throw
away the package cache. :)

> Cheers
> Adrian

regards, Göran

Re: "Don't make me think"...

Martin Wirblat
[hidden email] wrote:

> 2. Even if you feel tempted to delete the whole "sm" dir, it is
> sufficient to delete the .sgz files. That way you don't needlessly throw
> away the package cache. :)

Sometimes the packages themselves were corrupted. Some month ago I found
some gz or mcz files in the cache containing only some sort of http or
similar error messages. In that special case the original URLs were
broken and I had deleted the whole sm directory *before* installing them
with the SM package loader. The broken packages then produce the "syntax
error".

Regards,
Martin

Re: "Don't make me think"...

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Martin Wirblat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>

> > 2. Even if you feel tempted to delete the whole "sm" dir, it is
> > sufficient to delete the .sgz files. That way you don't needlessly throw
> > away the package cache. :)
>
> Sometimes the packages themselves were corrupted. Some month ago I found
> some gz or mcz files in the cache containing only some sort of http or
> similar error messages. In that special case the original URLs were
> broken and I had deleted the whole sm directory *before* installing them
> with the SM package loader. The broken packages then produce the "syntax
> error".
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Right. Hopefully the new server cache will be able to erase such
problems. But it needs some loving care to get it into shape.
Unfortunately there are some bugs right now (but I am just fixing them
this minute) more or less disabling the cache.

regards, Göran

Re: "Don't make me think"...

Colin Putney

On Apr 18, 2006, at 3:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Let me repeat:
>
> 1. For the above issue - press alt-. and then instead execute
> "SMSqueakMap bootStrap" which will force an upgrade of SM in the
> image.
> No need to nuke the sm dir.
>
> 2. Even if you feel tempted to delete the whole "sm" dir, it is
> sufficient to delete the .sgz files. That way you don't needlessly
> throw
> away the package cache. :)

Hi Göran,

I'm not sure I follow. Is the above a recipe for getting SM to work
in Squeak 3.7?

Thanks,

Colin

Re: "Don't make me think"...

Adrian Lienhard
Thanks for the explanation, Göran.

Actually now I remember what I did to get into this state: I started
up a new image, upgraded SM and did some stuff then quit without
saving and started over again...

Cheers,
Adrian

On Apr 18, 2006, at 21:37 , [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ... is a good usability guideline.
>>
>> Now, this question (see attached screenshot) made me think a lot ;-).
>> And surprising enough, it even proposes "thinking" as one of the
>> answers (as if the developer knew upfront that the user is going to
>> have a hard time to guess right). I have no clue what the right
>> answer should be. Does anybody know what this is all about?
>
> Yes, this is about how an image with the "wrong" classes should
> load an
> ImageSegment.
> The code asking the questions is not SM itself - it is
> ImageSegment/SmartRefStream code getting into trouble.
>
> Now, the issue is that if you have multiple images sharing the same
> "sm"
> dir (which is fine in principle) and you update one of those images to
> the current new SM 2.2 - then when the old images try to synch with
> disk
> (which they do when you fire up the SMLoader) they end up trying to
> load
> an ImageSegment produced by the SM master server running 3.8 into a
> 3.7
> image - which is a NO GO as I mentioned earlier here:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-April/
> 10228
> 6.html
>
> Now, it would be dandy if I had thought about this scenario
> "yesterday"
> and added code that can handle "new" ImageSegments and do something
> "smart" - unfortunately I didn't have that foresight and I can't
> magically "fix" all images already out there.
>
>> Btw, using latest 3.9a image, and the default SM bugfixing technique
>> (*) solved this problem too.
>
> Let me repeat:
>
> 1. For the above issue - press alt-. and then instead execute
> "SMSqueakMap bootStrap" which will force an upgrade of SM in the
> image.
> No need to nuke the sm dir.
>
> 2. Even if you feel tempted to delete the whole "sm" dir, it is
> sufficient to delete the .sgz files. That way you don't needlessly
> throw
> away the package cache. :)
>
>> Cheers
>> Adrian
>
> regards, Göran

Re: "Don't make me think"...

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2006, at 3:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Let me repeat:
> >
> > 1. For the above issue - press alt-. and then instead execute
> > "SMSqueakMap bootStrap" which will force an upgrade of SM in the
> > image.
> > No need to nuke the sm dir.
> >
> > 2. Even if you feel tempted to delete the whole "sm" dir, it is
> > sufficient to delete the .sgz files. That way you don't needlessly
> > throw
> > away the package cache. :)
>
> Hi Göran,
>
> I'm not sure I follow. Is the above a recipe for getting SM to work
> in Squeak 3.7?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colin

No, unfortunately for the moment - SM is 3.8+ only. I don't intend for
it to stay that, but that is the way things are at the moment. A "quick"
way to get it working for 3.7 and lower is to adopt Andreas XML
serialization code or some other serialization mechanism that works for
3.5(?) - 3.9.

Hmmm, right - it may have sounded like it would work for 3.7... sorry,
didn't mean that - my fault. :)

But the dialog that Adrien attached is actually not what happens in 3.7
- it is what happens in a non upgraded 3.8+ image I think.

A similar dialog appears in 3.7  - but talking about Multi byte stuff.

regards, Göran

PS. Just about to upgrade SM a bit more to fix several issues.