Double errors!

ResponSyS
Hi there!

I'm a newcomer in the GST Mailing List and just sent my first post yesterday.
Unfortunately, it didn't appeared on the archives and I got no answers...
I would like to know if you acknowledge the problem. Oh, and, yeah, I wrote it
in Rich format using Gmail, maybe the problem is coming from here...
Indeed, it's been 3 days I'm really helpless/hopeless because I haven't managed
to install GST properly using MinGW... until now, because, as I write, the
problem is, more or less, fixed: I managed to install GST, which appears to
work, but I got errors and GST-Blox still doesn't. I'm recompiling it for, like,
the fifth time currently.

So, what the condition to appear on the list, for our message to be accepted in
the mailing list?
I'll send you my yesterday letter if I managed to fic the problem with you.

Hope I'm not bothering you!

Thanks.

Re: Double errors!

ZuLuuuuuu
Sylvain "Phen0m" Saubier wrote
[...]

http://forum.world.st/Gnu-f1290346.html

I myself have a problem when sending messages via email (my messages appear 1-2 days later) but Nabble fixes it.

As for the compilation error, I don't know if GST can be compiled using MinGW on Windows currently but you need to first compile Tcl and Tk and specify their path when configuring GST if you want to use gst-blox.
Canol Gökel

Re: Double errors!

ResponSyS
This post was updated on .
Oh yes, I didn't see those forums where linked.
Nice, thanks.
I'll post that way until now.
I tried to signal the bug, but it didn't work on the official site, as I still didn't have the confirmation mail... anyway.

So, as for my problem, my last attempt didn't work. Here is what I wanted to send you first (I updated it):

Sylvain "Phen0m" Saubier wrote
Hi everyone!

First and foremost, I may introduce myself. Ahem.
I'm a 18 years old Frenchie and I'm rather new to the world of computer programming.
A world in which I came through the door of the algorithms, which I learned the basics using a book. Then, I thought I was ready to apply my skills with a real programming language and, having heard a lot of great things concerning Smalltalk, I decided give it a try (my English allows me to assume the fact that there is indeed very few French things on the subject).
I started with the awesome Pharo by Example, which made me understand quickly the fun and innovative aspects of this programming language. I really like the philosophy and the OO conception.

However, as I would like to be able to program and design my own indie video games, I was about to change my mind and go with ActionScript3, in order to use popular Flash libraries (like FlashPunk or Flixel, if someone knows) and especially built for video games development, using FlashDevelop and Flex SDK. Indeed, what I would like to do is simple 2D games, like the one we can see in the real indie community (not all those crappy browser games), that shows up their games every year at the IGF.
Though, frustrated by the complexity of AS3, if finally came back to ST. But I was facing a problem: I had to find the right tools.

While I could be building all my engines, physics and graphics tools by myself, it would probably be a huge loss of time. This was until I discovered GNU Smalltalk, which interfaces OpenGL, Cairo and, above all, SDL (if I'm not mistaken), which is one of the most used library on the indie game community. Moreover, I really like as well the GST philosophy ("for those who can type") and I'm planning to migrate on Linux.
Unfortunately, at the time, I'm still on Windows and so began to read your very nice Computer Programming using GST to get started.

Unfortunately, I have a problem to install GST using MinGW/MSYS latest build and then I came here to request your help. Indeed, I managed to compile Tcl8.5.10 and Tk8.5.10 I guess (I didn't watch the terminal during all the compilation but it came to the end). Then, I tried to build GST but it fails on the very last command 'make install'.
Here's a screenshot of the bug: http://www.stockme.fr/imgdfc628c95b/I_MADE_IT..._Oh_no_dammit.png

As I'm far to be an expert, I may require some explanations as I don't perfectly get everything yet.

Hope you'll take the time to answer me.

Bets regards.

Sylvain Saubier
---
 http://www.reopen911.info/
I'm obviously open to every advice and suggestion.

Re: Double errors!

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 08/06/2011 02:27 PM, Phen0m wrote:
>>  Unfortunately, I have a problem to install GST using MinGW/MSYS latest
>>  build and then I came here to request your help. Indeed, I managed to
>>  compile Tcl8.5.10 and Tk8.5.10 I guess (I didn't watch the terminal during
>>  all the compilation but it came to the end). Then, I tried to build GST
>>  but it fails on the very last command 'make install'.
>>  Here's a screenshot of the bug:
>>  http://www.stockme.fr/imgdfc628c95b/I_MADE_IT..._Oh_no_dammit.png
>>  http://www.stockme.fr/imgdfc628c95b/I_MADE_IT..._Oh_no_dammit.png

What version of GST were you using?

Can you include the config.log file that was generated by "configure"?

Paolo

Re: Double errors!

ResponSyS
I used Smalltalk 3.2.4.

The file was too big so I uploaded it here: http://qshare.com/get/962174/config.log.html.

Thanks again!

Re: Double errors!

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 08/06/2011 05:17 PM, Phen0m wrote:
> I used Smalltalk 3.2.4.
>
> The file was too big so I uploaded it here:
> http://qshare.com/get/962174/config.log.html
> http://qshare.com/get/962174/config.log.html .
>
> Thanks again!

Thanks.  As I don't have access to Windows, I'll try to understand
what's going on.  I think Mathieu Suen also reproduced this bug though.

By the way, you do not need gst-blox or GTK+ to work on Smalltalk with
text files.

Paolo

Re: Double errors!

ResponSyS
Also, I can't launch GST directly when I launch MinGW. I must go to the right directory, which has became my HOME.
That's quite painful and I hope you'll be able to solve the problem.

Thanks!