DrTest - strange UI effect and some feedback

DrTest - strange UI effect and some feedback

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

DrTest is integrated into Pharo 8 now - but there seems to be a strange bug
in overlapping widgets when one uses the grouping selection box.

See attached screenshot.

I opened an issue for that: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/5205
for Pharo. Dont know if that is known bug or even already fixed in the original repo
of DrTest. Would be good if the authors (Julien or Dayne) could check.

Additional feedback:

It's really a nice tool - but I see myself still switching back to old TestRunner again.
Two reasons:

1. Compared to the regular TestRunner where one is able to see the failing tests
   directly in DrTest one always has to have additional clicks in the
   grouping tree on the left before getting the final results.

   So the default grouping of the results as a tree could be disturbing because it
   requires more clicking around.

   Would be a nice addition if there would be an additional "no grouping" mode as well
   so the results are just shown in a list like in reglar TestRunner.

2. The old TestRunner had (after filtering the package) an additional useful context menu
   with "Select all" and "Select none", "Select inversion", .... which allowed
   easier focusing on the test classes I want to check.
   Would be nice if a similar one could be added.

Thanks
T.

drtest.png (31K) Download Attachment

Re: DrTest - strange UI effect and some feedback

ducasse
Yes we are not really happy (this is why we will move it to preview for the release since it will probably happen sooner that
planned).
I also detected that the executable comment execution looks not working.

> On 22 Nov 2019, at 09:15, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> DrTest is integrated into Pharo 8 now - but there seems to be a strange bug
> in overlapping widgets when one uses the grouping selection box.
>
> See attached screenshot.
>
> I opened an issue for that: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/5205
> for Pharo. Dont know if that is known bug or even already fixed in the original repo
> of DrTest. Would be good if the authors (Julien or Dayne) could check.
>
> Additional feedback:
>
> It's really a nice tool - but I see myself still switching back to old TestRunner again.

Me too. :)
We all share your analysis.

> Two reasons:
>
> 1. Compared to the regular TestRunner where one is able to see the failing tests
>   directly in DrTest one always has to have additional clicks in the
>   grouping tree on the left before getting the final results.
>
>   So the default grouping of the results as a tree could be disturbing because it
>   requires more clicking around.
>
>   Would be a nice addition if there would be an additional "no grouping" mode as well
>   so the results are just shown in a list like in reglar TestRunner.
>
> 2. The old TestRunner had (after filtering the package) an additional useful context menu
>   with "Select all" and "Select none", "Select inversion", .... which allowed
>   easier focusing on the test classes I want to check.
>   Would be nice if a similar one could be added.

Yes we agreed on that.
Tx torsten

> Thanks
> T.
>
> <drtest.png>

Re: DrTest - strange UI effect and some feedback

Julien Delplanque-2
Hello Torsten,

First of all, thanks for your feedback.

Le 22/11/19 à 09:15, Torsten Bergmann a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> DrTest is integrated into Pharo 8 now - but there seems to be a strange bug
> in overlapping widgets when one uses the grouping selection box.
>
> See attached screenshot.
>
> I opened an issue for that: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/5205
> for Pharo. Dont know if that is known bug or even already fixed in the original repo
> of DrTest. Would be good if the authors (Julien or Dayne) could check.
I am not sure what causes this bug, I will need to check with Spec2
developers because I think as Spec2 users we do not have control on such
behaviour of the droplist.

> Additional feedback:
>
> It's really a nice tool - but I see myself still switching back to old TestRunner again.
> Two reasons:
>
> 1. Compared to the regular TestRunner where one is able to see the failing tests
>     directly in DrTest one always has to have additional clicks in the
>     grouping tree on the left before getting the final results.
>
>     So the default grouping of the results as a tree could be disturbing because it
>     requires more clicking around.
>
>     Would be a nice addition if there would be an additional "no grouping" mode as well
>     so the results are just shown in a list like in reglar TestRunner.

I agree with you, an additional iteration needs to be done on the
grouping feature.
We will take your feedback into account.

> 2. The old TestRunner had (after filtering the package) an additional useful context menu
>     with "Select all" and "Select none", "Select inversion", .... which allowed
>     easier focusing on the test classes I want to check.
>     Would be nice if a similar one could be added.

For "Select all" it is possible to do it via Cmd+A or Ctrl+A, as it is
the standard for list selection in UI frameworks.

For the "Select none" I am not sure that we want to support that action
because it feels a bit odd. Why would one want to have nothing selected?
But if one can justify why this is needed, we can add it of course.

"Select inversion" could be added but again I think this is a bit odd
feature.

Now you have to know that DrTests is a side project for me and for right
now I can not allocate that much time on it.
So I will do my best to fix urgent issues ASAP. I already have a great
list of issues since the integration (which is normal). :-)

However, until next friday, I am in a rush for another deadline.

Julien

Re: DrTest - strange UI effect and some feedback

ducasse
Julien

I like inversion because sometimes this is faster to click on the things you do not want.
We will have to check the cmd+A because on some lists it is not working.

[...]

Thanks for your time julien.

However, until next friday, I am in a rush for another deadline.

Re: DrTest - strange UI effect and some feedback

Stephan Eggermont-3
Julien Delplanque <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For the "Select none" I am not sure that we want to support that action
> because it feels a bit odd. Why would one want to have nothing selected?
> But if one can justify why this is needed, we can add it of course.
>
> "Select inversion" could be added but again I think this is a bit odd
> feature.

If you support select all you need at least one of invert selection and
select none. All actions are supposed to be reversible as far as possible.

Stephan