Dumb question regarding Pharo

Long Haired David
 I have just posted on the new Pharo business site expressing a hope that I can convert some of my VA Smalltalk stuff to Pharo. However, I could do with a pointer as to how to create a window and add elements. I have been using the standard VA Window creation - effectively drag and drop - so I am not used to hand creating.

Could anyone point me at a primer for this? I have googled but only found little snippets.

Sorry for my incompetence (after 24 years of Smalltalk development :-)

David
Totally Objects

Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Dumb question regarding Pharo

jfabry
Hi David,

you would want to look at Spec. The most recent documentation is in the Pharo For The Enterprise book, the sources of which you can find here: https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoForTheEnterprise-english

I advise to read the latest build of the chapter on Spec, which can be found here: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Spec/Spec.pier.html

Greetings,

On Feb 27, 2014, at 2:43 PM, David Pennington <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I have just posted on the new Pharo business site expressing a hope that I can convert some of my VA Smalltalk stuff to Pharo. However, I could do with a pointer as to how to create a window and add elements. I have been using the standard VA Window creation - effectively drag and drop - so I am not used to hand creating.
>
> Could anyone point me at a primer for this? I have googled but only found little snippets.
>
> Sorry for my incompetence (after 24 years of Smalltalk development :-)
>
> David
> Totally Objects
>
> Message sent using Winmail Mail Server

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Dumb question regarding Pharo

Clément Béra
Hello,

You definitely want to have a look at Spec. The idea is that at some point a spec-based UI will be both compatible with Morphic and Mars (Mars is the native window pharo framework working right now with cocoa and gtk, winform is not supported (yet)). There's also a tool named UIPainter to create a UI with drag and drop as you are used to. However, it is a work in progress and currently I make my UI by hand with Spec, without using a drag and drop ui builder, and I don't use native windows ...

If you want to make professional application with Spec you would need to invest a bit of time but it's doable.