Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Schwab,Wilhelm K
For the unix gurus among us, what should happen in response to

   ( FileDirectory on:'~/ExistingDirectory' ) entries?

It creates a path name of /~ExistingDirectory and then fumbles trying to read it.  Is this something that should be expected to work, or is ~ just a trick of the shell?

Bill

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Randal L. Schwartz

Wilhelm> It creates a path name of /~ExistingDirectory and then fumbles trying
Wilhelm> to read it.  Is this something that should be expected to work, or is
Wilhelm> ~ just a trick of the shell?

Yes, ~ has always been a userspace feature.  Never a kernel feature.
If you get all the way to mkdir(2) or open(2) with a ~, it literally
means a tilde char in a pathname.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

mozillanerd
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> For the unix gurus among us, what should happen in response to
>
>    ( FileDirectory on:'~/ExistingDirectory' ) entries?
>
> It creates a path name of /~ExistingDirectory and then fumbles trying
> to read it.  Is this something that should be expected to work, or is
> ~ just a trick of the shell?
>
> Bill

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Understood - the question was (is?) whether or not Pharo should recognize it and act accordingly - I suspect the answer is no.

Bill

> For the unix gurus among us, what should happen in response to
>
>    ( FileDirectory on:'~/ExistingDirectory' ) entries?
>
> It creates a path name of /~ExistingDirectory and then fumbles trying
> to read it.  Is this something that should be expected to work, or is
> ~ just a trick of the shell?
>
> Bill

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Randal L. Schwartz

Wilhelm> Understood - the question was (is?) whether or not Pharo should
Wilhelm> recognize it and act accordingly - I suspect the answer is no.

It *should* be understood and interpreted in the same places where
'*' and '?' and '[]' are used for globbing, since it's effectively
a globbing character.

So for example, presuming a hypothetical:

  '*.st' matchingFiles

to return everything matching in the default directory, then:

  '~/foo' matchingFiles

should return something relative to the home directory of the current user.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Nicolas Cellier
Isn't this OS-centric ?

Nicolas

2009/10/4 Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]>:

> Wilhelm> Understood - the question was (is?) whether or not Pharo should
> Wilhelm> recognize it and act accordingly - I suspect the answer is no.
>
> It *should* be understood and interpreted in the same places where
> '*' and '?' and '[]' are used for globbing, since it's effectively
> a globbing character.
>
> So for example, presuming a hypothetical:
>
>  '*.st' matchingFiles
>
> to return everything matching in the default directory, then:
>
>  '~/foo' matchingFiles
>
> should return something relative to the home directory of the current user.

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wilhelm> Understood - the question was (is?) whether or not Pharo should
Wilhelm> recognize it and act accordingly - I suspect the answer is no.

It *should* be understood and interpreted in the same places where
'*' and '?' and '[]' are used for globbing, since it's effectively
a globbing character.

So for example, presuming a hypothetical:

 '*.st' matchingFiles

to return everything matching in the default directory, then:

 '~/foo' matchingFiles

should return something relative to the home directory of the current user.

If I were implementing these I'd put them in a layer of abstraction above FileDirectory and friends; preferably in a separate package. This would also make it work on all OSes.

Note that there's quite a few special characters in the userspace commands and they vary from shell to shell. Some of them are quite cool. I like "ls **" which lists a directory tree on some shells.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Nicolas,

It is OS-specific, but there is no reason to avoid doing things that are expected on the local host - mac menus come to mind.  An OS-neutral approach gets the least-common denominator.  Another more fundamental example: the windows guys should get ready to part with drive letters :)

I think Randall nailed it with wildcards; that's where it fits.  I suppose one could provide a Windows version of it (/home/user could map to the documents and settings craziness), though I learned the hard way to steer clear of such things on Windows - if I have to use Windows, give me my own directory on c: any day.

This cropped up in porting one of my tools that I've used for longer than I care to describe, and have ported a couple of times.  Now I need a Linux version of it, and ~ would be a nice solution to some problems that quickly surfaced.

Bill

> Wilhelm> Understood - the question was (is?) whether or not Pharo
> Wilhelm> should recognize it and act accordingly - I suspect the answer is no.
>
> It *should* be understood and interpreted in the same places where '*'
> and '?' and '[]' are used for globbing, since it's effectively a
> globbing character.
>
> So for example, presuming a hypothetical:
>
>  '*.st' matchingFiles
>
> to return everything matching in the default directory, then:
>
>  '~/foo' matchingFiles
>
> should return something relative to the home directory of the current user.
>
> --
> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
> 0095 <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
> discussion

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Randal L. Schwartz

Michael> Note that there's quite a few special characters in the userspace commands
Michael> and they vary from shell to shell. Some of them are quite cool. I like "ls
Michael> **" which lists a directory tree on some shells.

I'd limit any such globbing to "classic" globs (I think they're regulated as
part of POSIX), although yes, in reality, I have zsh extendedglobs enabled.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Nicolas Cellier
If you follow that path, don't forget we might require a way to escape '\~'

Nicolas

2009/10/4 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:

> Nicolas,
>
> It is OS-specific, but there is no reason to avoid doing things that are expected on the local host - mac menus come to mind.  An OS-neutral approach gets the least-common denominator.  Another more fundamental example: the windows guys should get ready to part with drive letters :)
>
> I think Randall nailed it with wildcards; that's where it fits.  I suppose one could provide a Windows version of it (/home/user could map to the documents and settings craziness), though I learned the hard way to steer clear of such things on Windows - if I have to use Windows, give me my own directory on c: any day.
>
> This cropped up in porting one of my tools that I've used for longer than I care to describe, and have ported a couple of times.  Now I need a Linux version of it, and ~ would be a nice solution to some problems that quickly surfaced.
>
> Bill

The ~ I have in mind appears only as the first character since it replaces /home/userName, so it might not be a problem.  Am I missing something?

I realize I mentioned /~/andSoOn, but that was only in the context of Pharo's having introduced the leading /, turning ~/andSoOn into garbage and then getting confused by it, or something like that.

Bill

If you follow that path, don't forget we might require a way to escape '\~'

Nicolas

2009/10/4 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:

> Nicolas,
>
> It is OS-specific, but there is no reason to avoid doing things that
> are expected on the local host - mac menus come to mind.  An
> OS-neutral approach gets the least-common denominator.  Another more
> fundamental example: the windows guys should get ready to part with
> drive letters :)
>
> I think Randall nailed it with wildcards; that's where it fits.  I suppose one could provide a Windows version of it (/home/user could map to the documents and settings craziness), though I learned the hard way to steer clear of such things on Windows - if I have to use Windows, give me my own directory on c: any day.
>
> This cropped up in porting one of my tools that I've used for longer than I care to describe, and have ported a couple of times.  Now I need a Linux version of it, and ~ would be a nice solution to some problems that quickly surfaced.
>
> Bill

mkdir \~
ls -al \~

How will you access this directory from Squeak ?

Nicolas

2009/10/5 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:

> Nicolas,
>
> The ~ I have in mind appears only as the first character since it replaces /home/userName, so it might not be a problem.  Am I missing something?
>
> I realize I mentioned /~/andSoOn, but that was only in the context of Pharo's having introduced the leading /, turning ~/andSoOn into garbage and then getting confused by it, or something like that.
>
> Bill

Andreas Wacknitz

Am 05.10.2009 um 00:00 schrieb Schwab,Wilhelm K:

> Nicolas,
>
> The ~ I have in mind appears only as the first character since it
> replaces /home/userName, so it might not be a problem.  Am I missing
> something?
Yes, ~ is the home of the actual user. But you can also have a user
name followed by a ~, like schwab~.

Andreas

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Cameron Sanders-3
I concur with the wildcards note.

On Oct 4, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I think Randall nailed it with wildcards; that's where it fits.  I
> suppose one could provide a Windows version of it (/home/user could
> map to the documents and settings craziness), though I learned the
> hard way to steer clear of such things on Windows - if I have to use
> Windows, give me my own directory on c: any day.

Indeed, '~' was a shell notation, so not an OS feature. And in fact, I
used cygwin on windows (for the 12 years I suffered along in that
world) and those shells support the tilde (~) and everything you
expect from the shells. So it would be nice to support it for all
platforms... or not at all.

If such features are not going to be supported on all platforms, then
I would rely on environmental variables like HOME (or whatever is
common across platforms) and simply not use them.

-Cam
PS: I kicked the windows habit... and cannot for the life of me
remember why I suffered along with it even that long. I'm running a
mac now, for the last 6 months, and I haven't had a single lock-up or
forced re-boot yet.

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Randal L. Schwartz

Andreas> Yes, ~ is the home of the actual user. But you can also have a user
Andreas> name followed by a ~, like schwab~.

Huh?  Pretty sure you mean "~schwab", not "schwab~".

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Dumb question: ~ vs. /home/user

Randal L. Schwartz

Nicolas> mkdir \~
Nicolas> ls -al \~

Nicolas> How will you access this directory from Squeak ?

And if you say '\~', then let me do this:

mkdir \\\~

:)

Evil.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion