Dynabook and flipped classroom

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

On Dynabook and flipped classroom:
http://blog.drgeo.eu/post/2018/Flipped-classroom

Please share any opinion.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Dynabook and flipped classroom

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Hilaire,

Nice write up on the flipped classroom.  Thinking about video there are a few things that come to mind.  First, video is not easily searchable.  With the ability to easily caption and index video now it would make sense to allow users to jump from place to place on the video by clicking on the transcript.  That would make it easier to read the content (which is much faster) after you have watched the video.  It would also be nice if you could annotate the video by adding your own highlights and notes to the transcript.  This takes video and converts it to something that is much more active.  For me video is great but only the first time.  Once you have seen the video it becomes a time sink if you ever need to reference it since you really don't want to watch it all over again but you may want to gather details or re-watch something you didn't understand.  That's when text takes over and become a much more useful medium.  So highlighting a video transcript and being able to watch just what is highlighted and see your notes at the same time would be very useful.

The concept of a flipped classroom raises some issues I've seen.  Distance education is really difficult and is a bit of an analog for a flipped classroom.  When you are trying to teach people using media alone the amount of time and effort required to produce the content is, I'm told, much like the effort required to write a book.  The benefits of consistent delivery of information need to be weighed against the efficiency of discussing the material and being able to gauge how much is being understood and leaving the detailed information for later study (by interested students).  The live interaction is what our software "Immersive Terf" adds to distance learning.

The risk I see is that it is very difficult to produce material that covers all the aspects that would be required for everyone without losing the interest of those that already have a background in the material by putting in too much, or flying over the heads of students by leaving things out.  Having the interaction between students and teachers is critical so I'm not sure how efficient it would be to push the learning to home assignments.

I've always thought that it works best to film some content, for consistent delivery, up to about 5 minutes, then immediately move to Q&A, then have users break out to discussion groups.  This model of learning, questioning, and discussing is very powerful when done in an interactive setting.  Breaking out the learning portion to a solitary activity seems wrong.  Leaving the solitary time for reinforcement and detailed analysis makes more sense.  I guess what I'm saying is that if as a student we have time alone that time is best spent reviewing what was learned, working on projects applying what was learned to be presented back to the class for discussions, or expanding on what was learned by reading or exploring the fine details that may have been skipped in class.

I'm not saying this is best for all people since everyone does seem to learn in quite different ways.  In many ways, students do benefit from trying to figure something out for themselves.  The questions become much more relevant, they seem to learn at a much deeper level because of the effort required to "figure it out".  The issue in my mind is that these motivated students are going to learn no matter what you do.  Even without prodding them in a structured way they are going to come to class much better informed than their peers.  Non-motivated students will come to class saying "I TRIED to learn the material but I didn't understand it".

This, of course, brings up the question is Dynabook intended to support a motivated student to learn and explore information or to help improve the ability of non-motivated students to learn?  Maybe both?

Thanks again for sharing your posts.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 7:13 AM Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Dynabook and flipped classroom:
http://blog.drgeo.eu/post/2018/Flipped-classroom

Please share any opinion.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Dynabook and flipped classroom

Craig Latta

> It would also be nice if you could annotate the video by adding your
> own highlights and notes to the transcript.  This takes video and
> converts it to something that is much more active.

     Yes, something like the crowdsourced-comments sound player that
SoundCloud has. I can see why YouTube wouldn't do such a thing at this
point (with its toxic commenting anti-culture), but I imagine someone
else has by now.

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: Dynabook and flipped classroom

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 2:09 PM Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > It would also be nice if you could annotate the video by adding your
> > own highlights and notes to the transcript.  This takes video and
> > converts it to something that is much more active.
>
>      Yes, something like the crowdsourced-comments sound player that
> SoundCloud has. I can see why YouTube wouldn't do such a thing at this
> point (with its toxic commenting anti-culture), but I imagine someone
> else has by now.

Right.  It actually was something I wanted to do with the movies of
talks by Alan Kay.

Here is one example:

http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Alan_Kay_Turing_Award_Lecture_(2004)

where you can click on a line in transcript and the movie rewinds to
that point.  I put some annotations, and because I have some of his
presentation materials, I managed to recreate what he was showing (it
was in Squeak, of course).  Because it is on MediaWiki, I am thinking
that we can have some pages on concepts, and cross reference them.

There are quite a few movies:

http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Talks_by_Alan_Kay

But I only managed to annotate a few.

-- Yoshiki

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 5:55 PM Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 2:09 PM Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > It would also be nice if you could annotate the video by adding your
> > own highlights and notes to the transcript.  This takes video and
> > converts it to something that is much more active.
>
>      Yes, something like the crowdsourced-comments sound player that
> SoundCloud has. I can see why YouTube wouldn't do such a thing at this
> point (with its toxic commenting anti-culture), but I imagine someone
> else has by now.

Right.  It actually was something I wanted to do with the movies of
talks by Alan Kay.

Here is one example:

http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Alan_Kay_Turing_Award_Lecture_(2004)

where you can click on a line in transcript and the movie rewinds to
that point.  I put some annotations, and because I have some of his
presentation materials, I managed to recreate what he was showing (it
was in Squeak, of course).  Because it is on MediaWiki, I am thinking
that we can have some pages on concepts, and cross reference them.

There are quite a few movies:

http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Talks_by_Alan_Kay

But I only managed to annotate a few.

 Hi Yoshiki-san,

Very cool! That works well.  Easy to find what you are looking for and start at that point!

All the best,

Ron

--
-- Yoshiki

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:44 PM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> >      Yes, something like the crowdsourced-comments sound player that
>> > SoundCloud has. I can see why YouTube wouldn't do such a thing at this
>> > point (with its toxic commenting anti-culture), but I imagine someone
>> > else has by now.
>>
>> Right.  It actually was something I wanted to do with the movies of
>> talks by Alan Kay.
>>
>> Here is one example:
>>
>> http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Alan_Kay_Turing_Award_Lecture_(2004)
>>
>> where you can click on a line in transcript and the movie rewinds to
>> that point.  I put some annotations, and because I have some of his
>> presentation materials, I managed to recreate what he was showing (it
>> was in Squeak, of course).  Because it is on MediaWiki, I am thinking
>> that we can have some pages on concepts, and cross reference them.
>>
>> There are quite a few movies:
>>
>> http://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Talks_by_Alan_Kay
>>
>> But I only managed to annotate a few.
>

>  Hi Yoshiki-san,
>
> Very cool! That works well.  Easy to find what you are looking for and start at that point!

Thank you!  I do look forward having more collaborators, who can clean
up transcript, and possibly make the site prettier..

-- Yoshiki

Re: Dynabook and flipped classroom

HilaireFernandes
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your detailed feedbacks, really interesting.

Video is not always the best support for reasons your precisely
described: it is not easily search-able; when it is, it required a
tremendous editing effort. From my experience, I found created video to
be very useful to my student on very specific how-to, and after teaching
it in class. My students told they repeatedly used to prepare for a test
in Algebra[1].
Nevertheless, to have a tool to easily annotate video is a must for a
Dynabook, the easier the tool, the more the teacher could use it. I add
your ideas on video transcript and searchable.

Some non-motivated students are so because after repeated non successful
efforts, it becomes emotionally less risky for them to stay in their
comfort attitude zone "I am not motivated". The Dynabook may help them
to train themselves without being socially exposed to their "un-ability"
to conduct a task. There are other reasons for students to be
unmotivated: bad habit on no homework, or gifted student which found
themselves in difficulty because so far homework was not a necessity for
good score, but then it does not work anymore and they don't know how to
be effective on homework. Of course theses reasons can appear mixed in
one student. It will be interesting to see how could be oriented the
Dynabook concept for unmotivated students.

Live interaction in your software is the real-life interaction part
between teacher and his students. I wonder about a feature to mimic the
rich non explicit informations/feedbacks occurring in real life face to
face situation as gesture or facial expression.

Best

Hilaire

[1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIkMRjmX9qM&list=PLziC9ALSenVub36p4O0JMHUFTF1EnYzSA

Le 30/08/2018 à 17:47, Ron Teitelbaum a écrit :

> [...]
>
> I'm not saying this is best for all people since everyone does seem to
> learn in quite different ways.  In many ways, students do benefit from
> trying to figure something out for themselves.  The questions become
> much more relevant, they seem to learn at a much deeper level because
> of the effort required to "figure it out".  The issue in my mind is
> that these motivated students are going to learn no matter what you
> do.  Even without prodding them in a structured way they are going to
> come to class much better informed than their peers.  Non-motivated
> students will come to class saying "I TRIED to learn the material but
> I didn't understand it".
>
> This, of course, brings up the question is Dynabook intended to
> support a motivated student to learn and explore information or to
> help improve the ability of non-motivated students to learn?  Maybe both?

The user experience is really nice indeed.

Hilaire