Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, Monticello

Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, Monticello

blake watson
>From the book:
------------------
http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/pharo/monticello

Make sure this new repository is highlighted and select add to
package... from the repository pane context menu. Select the
WebCounter package from the resulting menu.
-----------------
Curiously, the WebCounter package doesn't appear.

It's been a while since I've used Monticello, but I do have a
category, WebCounter,

I've been following along with the book to this point. Created the
WebCounter app. I've run it. When I got to this point, the WebCounter
didn't appear where it should. I "save and quit"-ed out of Smalltalk
and tried again, still not there. So I went back to the Browser and
WebCounter is still there but it's empty. I say to remove empty
categories and, sure enough it removes WebBrowser.

Most bizarre. I can see all the code in my changes file. I can also
see removeSelector calls at the end.

Re: Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, Monticello

Lukas Renggli
On 18 April 2012 19:27, blake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >From the book:
> ------------------
> http://book.seaside.st/book/getting-started/pharo/monticello
>
> Make sure this new repository is highlighted and select add to
> package... from the repository pane context menu. Select the
> WebCounter package from the resulting menu.
> -----------------
> Curiously, the WebCounter package doesn't appear.
>
> It's been a while since I've used Monticello, but I do have a
> category, WebCounter,
>
> I've been following along with the book to this point. Created the
> WebCounter app. I've run it. When I got to this point, the WebCounter
> didn't appear where it should. I "save and quit"-ed out of Smalltalk
> and tried again, still not there. So I went back to the Browser and
> WebCounter is still there but it's empty. I say to remove empty
> categories and, sure enough it removes WebBrowser.
>
> Most bizarre. I can see all the code in my changes file. I can also
> see removeSelector calls at the end.

Did you do the step "Create your package" further up on that page?

Lukas

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, Monticello

blake watson
> Did you do the step "Create your package" further up on that page?

Yes, sir. And it appeared in the left-hand pane.

Looks like my categories never appear in the package browser when I
used the "add to package". So I'm obviously missing a step.

===Blake===

Re: Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, Monticello

Lukas Renggli
Categories and packages are independent entities, when you create one the other one is not created automatically. They are connected through PackageInfo by a naming convention.

Not sure what you refer to as package browser? What version of Pharo are you using?

Lukas

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012, blake wrote:
> Did you do the step "Create your package" further up on that page?

Yes, sir. And it appeared in the left-hand pane.

Looks like my categories never appear in the package browser when I
used the "add to package". So I'm obviously missing a step.

===Blake===

Lukas Renggli (mobile)
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, Monticello

John McKeon
I suggest looking at the category in the WebCounter class definition. It cannot be WebCounter because you were able to remove that category or, at least it was empty.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Categories and packages are independent entities, when you create one the
> other one is not created automatically. They are connected through
> PackageInfo by a naming convention.

Right, that's what I gathered. And that's obviously the part that's
missing, but I don't see a step whereby the WebCounter package is
connected to the WebCounter category.

> Not sure what you refer to as package browser? What version of Pharo are you
> using?

Pharo 1.3

In the Monticello Browser, I've added the repository
"C:\dev\sources\st" and that appears in the right-hand pane. (On the
left I have the WebCounter() package amongst all the others.) I click
on the "C:\dev\sources\st" and select "add to package..." and a list
of packages come up.

I thought I was supposed to select the WebCounter package from that.
But that doesn't really make sense. (Wouldn't that be "add package
to..."?)

===Blake===