Dynamic analysis

Blondeau Vincent

Hi everyone,

I would like to do an dynamic analysis on a java software to count, for example, the number of SQL calls.

I see that in Moose there is a package that I can use for this, Dynamix-Core, but only model is defined and there is no importer.

Is there an available importer to use this feature ?

Cheers,

Vincent

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: Dynamic analysis

abergel
I guess you can simply use a MSE file to import your model into moose.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Apr 24, 2014, at 11:08 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to do an dynamic analysis on a java software to count, for example, the number of SQL calls.
>
> I see that in Moose there is a package that I can use for this, Dynamix-Core, but only model is defined and there is no importer.
>
> Is there an available importer to use this feature ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>

> Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.
>
> This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: Dynamic analysis

Blondeau Vincent
Ok but how can I create the MSE file ? Is tools existing ?

Vincent

> [...]

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

In Java? I think there was an implementation made by Adrian Kuhn, called Fame.
I am not sure what the status of this work is. But, at the last resort, you can always create it yourself, manually. MSE is designed to be easily generated.

On Apr 24, 2014, at 11:49 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok but how can I create the MSE file ? Is tools existing ?
>
> Vincent

Can you tell us a bit what are the dynamic analysis you would like to do?
Most of the time, a simple aspectJ aspect is good enough to gather the data. You then need to dump your data into a .mse file.
The MSE file has to be fit with the Pharo model you have. And since you probably want to have the structure of the code, you probably need a second .mse file, obtained from VerveineJ.

I am interested in that work.

On Apr 24, 2014, at 12:34 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Currently I am doing an internship in Atos (a French multinational IT services corporation). They have many software projects (mainly in Java) and they want to audit them.
The goal of my internship is to evaluate how Moose can be used to do this audit (performance, architecture, etc...) and be automatized to execute checking rules.

A part of the audit is to see how a program interact with a database by counting the requests that are done.
I thinks that part can't be deducted easily from the static model, so I thought to use Dynamix.

I have already the static model of the program imported by VerveineJ in Moose and I want to instantiate the Dynamix part.

So I search how I can do this. I can't modify the source code but I can add an agent on the JVM to see the calls made. That is why Java Wiretap seemed interesting.

Vincent

Can you tell us a bit what are the dynamic analysis you would like to do?
Most of the time, a simple aspectJ aspect is good enough to gather the data. You then need to dump your data into a .mse file.
The MSE file has to be fit with the Pharo model you have. And since you probably want to have the structure of the code, you probably need a second .mse file, obtained from VerveineJ.

I am interested in that work.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

I’ve just tried in 5 mn to install AspectJ. I could not, unfortunately.
Agent may be a nice alternative. But surely, using AspectJ will be much much faster.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Apr 24, 2014, at 1:19 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently I am doing an internship in Atos (a French multinational IT services corporation). They have many software projects (mainly in Java) and they want to audit them.
> The goal of my internship is to evaluate how Moose can be used to do this audit (performance, architecture, etc...) and be automatized to execute checking rules.
>
> A part of the audit is to see how a program interact with a database by counting the requests that are done.
> I thinks that part can't be deducted easily from the static model, so I thought to use Dynamix.
>
> I have already the static model of the program imported by VerveineJ in Moose and I want to instantiate the Dynamix part.
>
> So I search how I can do this. I can't modify the source code but I can add an agent on the JVM to see the calls made. That is why Java Wiretap seemed interesting.
>

> Vincent

Tudor Girba-2

Dynamix is indeed just a model. I used it with a couple of hand made profilers for some funny situations but not by instrumenting Java with Agents. I also think that the Agent solution is the most robust way to go. Would you be interested in having this solution open-source?

However, if you only need the execution of SQL statements, you might also consider retrieving this information from log files. For example, if you have an application server, you can typically use a log4j configuration to output the SQL executions. Then you can parse the log file and create a report for that. You might not even need Dynamix.

Doru

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Currently I am doing an internship in Atos (a French multinational IT services corporation). They have many software projects (mainly in Java) and they want to audit them.
The goal of my internship is to evaluate how Moose can be used to do this audit (performance, architecture, etc...) and be automatized to execute checking rules.

A part of the audit is to see how a program interact with a database by counting the requests that are done.
I thinks that part can't be deducted easily from the static model, so I thought to use Dynamix.

I have already the static model of the program imported by VerveineJ in Moose and I want to instantiate the Dynamix part.

So I search how I can do this. I can't modify the source code but I can add an agent on the JVM to see the calls made. That is why Java Wiretap seemed interesting.

Vincent

Can you tell us a bit what are the dynamic analysis you would like to do?
Most of the time, a simple aspectJ aspect is good enough to gather the data. You then need to dump your data into a .mse file.
The MSE file has to be fit with the Pharo model you have. And since you probably want to have the structure of the code, you probably need a second .mse file, obtained from VerveineJ.

I am interested in that work.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Apr 24, 2014, at 12:34 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Dynamic analysis

Blondeau Vincent

Dynamix is indeed just a model. I used it with a couple of hand made profilers for some funny situations but not by instrumenting Java with Agents.

What are the funny situations in which you have used this ? Because I am trying to find features to Moose what the others software can’t do.

I also think that the Agent solution is the most robust way to go.

I think I will take this solution. I found the sources of Java wiretap (https://www.iam.unibe.ch/scg/svn_repos/Students/fierz/profiler/) and it seems to use an agent.

Would you be interested in having this solution open-source?

For now the solution will be not open source, but I will discuss this with my hierarchy.

However, if you only need the execution of SQL statements, you might also consider retrieving this information from log files. For example, if you have an application server, you can typically use a log4j configuration to output the SQL executions. Then you can parse the log file and create a report for that. You might not even need Dynamix.

Ok. But the execution of SQL statements is just an example. And if I use log4j I have to modify the source code and I can’t do it, can’t I ?

Cheers,

Vincent

Doru

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Currently I am doing an internship in Atos (a French multinational IT services corporation). They have many software projects (mainly in Java) and they want to audit them.
The goal of my internship is to evaluate how Moose can be used to do this audit (performance, architecture, etc...) and be automatized to execute checking rules.

A part of the audit is to see how a program interact with a database by counting the requests that are done.
I thinks that part can't be deducted easily from the static model, so I thought to use Dynamix.

I have already the static model of the program imported by VerveineJ in Moose and I want to instantiate the Dynamix part.

So I search how I can do this. I can't modify the source code but I can add an agent on the JVM to see the calls made. That is why Java Wiretap seemed interesting.

Vincent

Can you tell us a bit what are the dynamic analysis you would like to do?
Most of the time, a simple aspectJ aspect is good enough to gather the data. You then need to dump your data into a .mse file.
The MSE file has to be fit with the Pharo model you have. And since you probably want to have the structure of the code, you probably need a second .mse file, obtained from VerveineJ.

I am interested in that work.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Hi,

Dynamix is indeed just a model. I used it with a couple of hand made profilers for some funny situations but not by instrumenting Java with Agents.

What are the funny situations in which you have used this ? Because I am trying to find features to Moose what the others software can’t do.

I also think that the Agent solution is the most robust way to go.

I think I will take this solution. I found the sources of Java wiretap (https://www.iam.unibe.ch/scg/svn_repos/Students/fierz/profiler/) and it seems to use an agent.

Yes, it did. But this is not maintained anymore and it was not more than a prototype at the time.

Would you be interested in having this solution open-source?

For now the solution will be not open source, but I will discuss this with my hierarchy.

Ok. It's your prerogative :)

However, if you only need the execution of SQL statements, you might also consider retrieving this information from log files. For example, if you have an application server, you can typically use a log4j configuration to output the SQL executions. Then you can parse the log file and create a report for that. You might not even need Dynamix.

Ok. But the execution of SQL statements is just an example. And if I use log4j I have to modify the source code and I can’t do it, can’t I ?

I simply pointed out that for quick things you can find other solutions that are not necessarily generic. In the case of SQL, it is very likely that you can enable the logging only by affecting a configuration while the production system is running without changing the code and without even restarting the system (yes, minor updates like these are possible even in Java :)).

Cheers,
Doru

Cheers,

Vincent

Doru

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Currently I am doing an internship in Atos (a French multinational IT services corporation). They have many software projects (mainly in Java) and they want to audit them.
The goal of my internship is to evaluate how Moose can be used to do this audit (performance, architecture, etc...) and be automatized to execute checking rules.

A part of the audit is to see how a program interact with a database by counting the requests that are done.
I thinks that part can't be deducted easily from the static model, so I thought to use Dynamix.

I have already the static model of the program imported by VerveineJ in Moose and I want to instantiate the Dynamix part.

So I search how I can do this. I can't modify the source code but I can add an agent on the JVM to see the calls made. That is why Java Wiretap seemed interesting.

Vincent

Can you tell us a bit what are the dynamic analysis you would like to do?
Most of the time, a simple aspectJ aspect is good enough to gather the data. You then need to dump your data into a .mse file.
The MSE file has to be fit with the Pharo model you have. And since you probably want to have the structure of the code, you probably need a second .mse file, obtained from VerveineJ.

I am interested in that work.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Thanks Doru !

I will see want I can do.

Vincent

Can you tell us a bit what are the dynamic analysis you would like to do?
Most of the time, a simple aspectJ aspect is good enough to gather the data. You then need to dump your data into a .mse file.
The MSE file has to be fit with the Pharo model you have. And since you probably want to have the structure of the code, you probably need a second .mse file, obtained from VerveineJ.

I am interested in that work.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Ben Coman

Dynamix is indeed just a model. I used it with a couple of hand made profilers for some funny situations but not by instrumenting Java with Agents.

What are the funny situations in which you have used this ? Because I am trying to find features to Moose what the others software can’t do.

I also think that the Agent solution is the most robust way to go.

I think I will take this solution. I found the sources of Java wiretap (https://www.iam.unibe.ch/scg/svn_repos/Students/fierz/profiler/) and it seems to use an agent.

Would you be interested in having this solution open-source?

For now the solution will be not open source, but I will discuss this with my hierarchy.

"The Magic Cauldron" by Eric S. Raymond can be an interesting read for business type - particularly "The Inverse Commons" part [1] where it says:
* "Part of the answer lies in the fact that using software does not decrease its value. Indeed, widespread use of open-source software tends to increase its value, as users fold in their own fixes and features (code patches). In this inverse commons, the grass grows taller when it's grazed upon."
* "
Sitting on the patch gains nothing. Indeed, it incurs a future cost--the effort involved in re-merging the patch into the source base in each new release. So the payoff from this choice is actually negative (and multiplied by the rapid release tempo characteristic of open-source projects).  Alternatively, the contributor gains by passing maintainance overhead of the patch to the source-code owners and the rest of the project group. He also gains because others will improve on his work in the future. Finally, because he won't have to maintain the patch himself, he will be able to afford more time on other and large customizations to suit his needs. "
[1]
http://oreilly.com/catalog/cathbazpaper/chapter/ch05.html#AUTOID-1554
cheers -ben