classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dynamic linking - again

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

Browser environments and associated scoped browsers have given me a reasonable tool to review some code I hope to release soon.  It contains some cruft that I am moving to reconsider or shred at some time in the future, and a few things that would be useful if only they worked.

A good example of the latter is my misadventures with dynamic linking.  Trying to get libdl.so to load has been an exercise in frustration.  I understand some of the reasoning behind naming and searching for libraries as it is now done.  While I ordinarily quickly and loudly criticize Squeak for silent failures (they seldom do anyone any favors; I prefer my bad news in real time), loading a library might not be the best time to raise an error as it might hobble startup.  However, there should be a way to tell why something didn't load on startup, or at least to trace why it won't load "now."  So far, I don't see that.  I have gotten just far enough away from my most recent hassles with this to forget where I built the hacked vm.  It might be sitting on my laptop.  I'm going to shelve it for now, but the hack I have in place is pretty sad, and there is a LOT of room to grow for the VM to tell the user what it is doing when (failing at) loading modules.

Bill