EMSRV on server with multiple network cards

EMSRV on server with multiple network cards

thomas....@natural-software.eu
Hello

I just moved EMSRV to a new Server and got a Little Problem: The new Server has multiple Network Cards. How can I specify that EMSRV runs on a certain IPv4 address ( or all 0.0.0.0)?

Regards

Thomas

Re: EMSRV on server with multiple network cards

Seth Berman
Hello Thomas,

Good question.  Looking at the code it appears that binding to an ip address from emsrv is not an implemented feature.
I've searched historical documentation as well, but I don't see directly how to do this.
I'm not sure if this was an oversight or intentional, as the emsrv manual states "multiple NICs should be used with appropriate packet routing so that a single NIC is dedicated to EMSRV usage".
So I guess it can be done...just not from emsrv.
I'm certainly happy to see what it would take to develop this and add it to our proposed feature list.

- Seth

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 8:46:26 AM UTC-4, Thomas Stalzer wrote:
Hello

I just moved EMSRV to a new Server and got a Little Problem: The new Server has multiple Network Cards. How can I specify that EMSRV runs on a certain IPv4 address ( or all 0.0.0.0)?

Regards

Thomas

Re: EMSRV on server with multiple network cards

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Guys,

This may be completely off base but can you put a "vasthost" entry in the windows "hosts" file?

Lou

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 4:59:56 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
[...]

dmacq
Yes, you can. In fact our documentation for Web Services in an Hour shows how to do it.

http://www.instantiations.com/docs/862/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=ws/websrvc12.html

Donald [|]

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 12:20:33 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Guys,

This may be completely off base but can you put a "vasthost" entry in the windows "hosts" file?

Lou

Re: EMSRV on server with multiple network cards

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Thomas,

I'm curious, did you solve this problem?  If so, how?

Donald & Seth, I have this line in my windows hosts file:

127.0.0.1       vasthost

I don't remember putting it there but I may have.  Do you have any idea how it got there?  Maybe as part of an EMSRV install?  Just curious.

Lou

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 8:46:26 AM UTC-4, Thomas Stalzer wrote:
Hello

I just moved EMSRV to a new Server and got a Little Problem: The new Server has multiple Network Cards. How can I specify that EMSRV runs on a certain IPv4 address ( or all 0.0.0.0)?

Regards

Thomas

Re: EMSRV on server with multiple network cards

dmacq
Hi Lou,

Emsrv did not put it there.

Donald

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 11:13:36 AM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Thomas,

I'm curious, did you solve this problem?  If so, how?

Donald & Seth, I have this line in my windows hosts file:

127.0.0.1       vasthost

I don't remember putting it there but I may have.  Do you have any idea how it got there?  Maybe as part of an EMSRV install?  Just curious.

Lou

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 8:46:26 AM UTC-4, Thomas Stalzer wrote:
Hello

I just moved EMSRV to a new Server and got a Little Problem: The new Server has multiple Network Cards. How can I specify that EMSRV runs on a certain IPv4 address ( or all 0.0.0.0)?

Regards

Thomas

Re: EMSRV on server with multiple network cards

thomas....@natural-software.eu
Hello Lou

I tried the "vasthost" approach. Unfortunately, EMSRV ignores the entry in the hosts file. I can ping vasthost and it will return the right address, however EMSRV still starts up on the wrong NIC.

I am going to install a new VM now with just one NIC in order to get this working in our network.

Thanks

Thomas

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 5:13:36 PM UTC+2, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Thomas,

I'm curious, did you solve this problem?  If so, how?

Donald & Seth, I have this line in my windows hosts file:

127.0.0.1       vasthost

I don't remember putting it there but I may have.  Do you have any idea how it got there?  Maybe as part of an EMSRV install?  Just curious.

Lou

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 8:46:26 AM UTC-4, Thomas Stalzer wrote:
Hello

I just moved EMSRV to a new Server and got a Little Problem: The new Server has multiple Network Cards. How can I specify that EMSRV runs on a certain IPv4 address ( or all 0.0.0.0)?

Regards

Thomas

Re: EMSRV on server with multiple network cards

Louis LaBrunda
Hey Thomas,

I did a little checking and now I remember where my vasthost entry came from.  It was from when I was working with Seaside.  So, it had nothing to do with EMSRV, sorry it didn't work out but I guess it was worth a shot.

Lou

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 3:06:32 AM UTC-4, Thomas Stalzer wrote:
[...]

Hi Seth,

Since you looked at the code, does it bind with any name like EMSRV or EMSRVHost or anything that could be set in the hosts file?

[...]

No, I don't see anything like that.

-- Seth

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 2:41:07 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
[...]

Hi Seth

Would it be possible to add an Option like "vasthost" or even better - have an .ini entry for the nic to bind with? (Also an entry for using IPv4 or IPv6 would be great ;-))

--Thomas