EMServ with passwd.dat protection

tstalzer
Hi

We want to use EMServ with a development library on a server which is
accessible from the internet.

To have some protection, we want to use the passwd.dat authentication
mechanism. We started EMServ with the "-rp" option and in the text
after the login, the line

 Authentication: passwd.dat

is shown. However - if we connect to the library to import/export
applications or configmaps, no password dialog is shown.

How can we activate this feature? Should we rather set up the
operating system authentification?

Regards

Thomas

Re: EMServ with passwd.dat protection

tstalzer

Just to add to my message before

We are using VA/Smalltalk 8.03 (and the EMServ that comes with that
version) on a Windows 2008 Server.

Regards

Thomas

Aw: EMServ with passwd.dat protection

Marten Feldtmann-2
Would some kind of connection like putty/ssh an alternative way to get the connection to your system (actually I have not tried it, but it should work).

Re: EMServ with passwd.dat protection

tstalzer
Hi Marten

>> putty/ssh<< ?????

We want to exchange Source code from different developers and have an
"official" version available on a central server. The other
alternative would be to build a VPN to our local server.

I remember seeing userid/password queries a couple years back when we
were using a central repository. So the question just is, are we doing
something wrong or did this feature get broken over the years.

--Thomas

Aw: Re: EMServ with passwd.dat protection

Marten Feldtmann-2
well, when working under Windows I would create an SSH session under Windows via putty and do a
port change on the remote site - and then I only have to give them a normal linux account and that's it.

Re: EMServ with passwd.dat protection

Seth Berman
Hi Thomas,

Any success on this. I am currently taking a look.  I first noticed I didn't get prompted because my password.dat was not in the emsrv working directory.
I'm also reviewing some tips here: https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21048358  and added a -lc to have emsrv log to the console, which is how I found that my password.dat had the wrong permissions, but that is a different issue.
I will keep trying to reproduce...let me know if you have any luck

Re: EMServ with passwd.dat protection

Seth Berman
So far, I'm unable to reproduce.  However, some more insight may be gained from changing the emsrv logging level to -s0 to log all operations.
For example, on my machine with passwd.dat enabled, I get the following emsrv.log messages upon opening a client image:
15:20:21 on 06/29/11 INFO operationOpen PARAMETERS pathname=[C:\Program Files (x86)\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\8.0\manager\mgr80.dat] mode=[66] TID[3504]
15:20:21 on 06/29/11 INFO operationRead PARAMETERS offset=[0] length=[256] TID[3504], repository C:\Program Files (x86)\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\8.0\manager\mgr80.dat
15:20:26 on 06/29/11 INFO operationVerifyUser PARAMETERS username=[sberman] password=[******]
15:20:26 on 06/29/11 INFO operationGetCWD MESSAGE TID[3504]