ENVY question

Carl Gundel-2
It's been years since I used ENVY, but I'm getting comfortable with it again.

But, somehow I run into this problem where I do a bunch of work and then version everything only to discover that one or more methods are not in the final versioned application.  How can I get a list of all the most recent classes and methods which are unpackaged?

Thanks,

-Carl Gundel

Re: ENVY question

jtuchel
Carl,

I guess what you need is Tools>Query>Unreleased Classes in the Transcript. It lists all unreleased class editions to the Transcript.

Joachim

Am Montag, 6. Mai 2013 16:51:04 UTC+2 schrieb Carl Gundel:
It's been years since I used ENVY, but I'm getting comfortable with it again.

But, somehow I run into this problem where I do a bunch of work and then version everything only to discover that one or more methods are not in the final versioned application.  How can I get a list of all the most recent classes and methods which are unpackaged?

Thanks,

-Carl Gundel

Re: ENVY question

jtuchel
Hi Carl,

did you try it?
There is one special scenario that the Application Manager doesn't show properly: if you have subapplications that are scratch editions and the containing application has no open class editions. These are displayed in black and as if everything was okay, even though there is some unreleased code in one or more subapplications. Maybe that is what your are experiencing...

Joachim

Am Montag, 6. Mai 2013 19:35:21 UTC+2 schrieb Carl Gundel:
[...]

Thomas Koschate-2
On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 3:03:34 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:

There is one special scenario that the Application Manager doesn't show properly: if you have subapplications that are scratch editions and the containing application has no open class editions. These are displayed in black and as if everything was okay, even though there is some unreleased code in one or more subapplications. Maybe that is what your are experiencing...

One way I mitigate that issue is to make sure that  my Application Manager is set up to only show apps "Needing Versioning".  That way, scratched subapps will force the parent application to be included.  The additional benefit is that I can focus on only what's actually changed in my image.  It might be possible that a subapp isn't being loaded into the particular configuration being loaded, but the parent app can't be versioned until all the subapps are versioned anyway.

However, Carl's problem sounds like one of two things:  either not saving the image on exit, or changes being made in another image.  That's the only way I've ever had changes not show up in my current image.

Tom

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:40:46 AM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
I didn't save my image.  I versioned everything all the way to the top of my application.

Then perhaps we're misunderstanding you.  It's impossible to have changes that are not loaded in your image unless you've either killed the image and restarted, or the changes were released in another image.

I'll usually version everything, query unreleased to make sure I've versioned all my changes, release those changes, and then query again.  However, our development process is such that the versioning and release processes are done by two different people, or at least in two different sessions.

Tom

Re: ENVY question

Carl Gundel-2
It's a little confusing to read that you you version all your changes and then run a query to see if your changes are all versioned, but then taking into account what Joachim mentioned about the coloring being broken I can see that it might be possible to have changes in a scratch edition which become lost.

Is there any way to query against the repository and see all changes versioned or not since a certain timestamp?

-Carl

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:15:10 AM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
It's a little confusing to read that you you version all your changes and then run a query to see if your changes are all versioned, but then taking into account what Joachim mentioned about the coloring being broken I can see that it might be possible to have changes in a scratch edition which become lost.

Remember, too, that sometimes changes are inadvertent because a method may initially end up in the wrong  application (this is especially true when extending a base class).  The modification might be moved to the right place, but one might neglect to reload mistakenly modified class.  Or, one might throw some additional debugging code into existing methods that aren't meant to be versioned.

 Is there any way to query against the repository and see all changes versioned or not since a certain timestamp?

It could be done, but there might be more noise generated than would be useful.  Sometimes classes are scratched every time they're loaded because of conflicting extensions.

Tom

Re: ENVY question

John O'Keefe-3
Joachim/Karl -

Actually, if you turn on Show Scratch Application Hierarchies (it is off by default) in VA Assist Pro Setup, Enhanced List Widgets tab, then the Application icon will be marked with a red 'x' if any of its subapps are scratched. This is a rather subtle visual clue, but it is there.

John