EPUB anyone

Torsten Bergmann
Hi

Is there anyone working on/with EPUB in Pharo?

If I remember correctly there was once the idea of an
EPUB exporter for Pillar.

Status/Plans?

Thanks for an update

Bye
T.

Re: EPUB anyone

Damien Cassou-2

Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> writes:

> Is there anyone working on/with EPUB in Pharo?
>
> If I remember correctly there was once the idea of an
> EPUB exporter for Pillar.
>
> Status/Plans?

I don't know of anything on this front. But that's still a feature we
would like.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

T.

Re: EPUB anyone

Peter Uhnak
For the same reason why Pillar supports export to LaTeX, HTML and Markdown...why not just one and use pandoc to convert it to everything? Because control and customizations.
(And that's not even mentioning that some of the powers of Pharo stems from it's self-centeredness.)

There's open issue for it though https://github.com/pillar-markup/pillar/issues/8

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
there are plenty of converters out there for coverting hmtl/pdf files to epub, why you need a pharo solution ?

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 7:45 PM Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Is there anyone working on/with EPUB in Pharo?

If I remember correctly there was once the idea of an
EPUB exporter for Pillar.

Status/Plans?

Thanks for an update

Bye
T.

Re: EPUB anyone

Offray
Hi,

On 13/11/15 15:26, Peter Uhnák wrote:
> For the same reason why Pillar supports export to LaTeX, HTML and
> Markdown...why not just one and use pandoc to convert it to
> everything? Because control and customizations.
> (And that's not even mentioning that some of the powers of Pharo stems
> from it's self-centeredness.)
>
> There's open issue for it though
> https://github.com/pillar-markup/pillar/issues/8

Well I do use pandoc to convert markup to everything. Mainly because I
thing that is more momentum around scholar markdown[1] and is difficult
to push several light markup languages in this uncharted territory.
Pandoc has support for yaml embedded (arbitrary) data. Of course having
Pillar using markdown + yaml natively and export to LaTeX and HTML will
be the killer feature to stop needing pandoc. Meanwhile I imagine that
at some point I will use AST to hack/extend pandoc with Smalltalk,
bridging these two words and having the advantages of smalltalk and
scholarly markdown for scientific writing... time will tell.

[1]
http://scholmd.org/basic_setup/tools-to-support-your-markdown-authoring.html

Cheers,

Offray

Re: EPUB anyone

CyrilFerlicot
Le 13/11/2015 18:44, Torsten Bergmann a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Is there anyone working on/with EPUB in Pharo?
>
> If I remember correctly there was once the idea of an
> EPUB exporter for Pillar.
>
> Status/Plans?

Hi,

This is on the todo list of Pillar but noone works on Pillar for now
except for some minor issues.

I think this will not be hard because the architecture of Pillar is very
good for the exports and there is a lot of tests that can easily be
extend for an other exporter.

--

Cyril Ferlicot ([hidden email])

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

Re: EPUB anyone

Yanni Chiu
Long ago, I added an EPUB exporter to Pier-Book, but it was added to Pier2.
The fork off point for Pier3 happened just before the EPUB piece.
I see that it is still available at:
    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2/Pier-Book-YanniChiu.164.mcz

It would have to be ported to Pier3 or Pillar, or mined for code.

On Nov 13, 2015, at 12:44 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there anyone working on/with EPUB in Pharo?
>
> If I remember correctly there was once the idea of an
> EPUB exporter for Pillar.
>
> Status/Plans?
>
> Thanks for an update
>
> Bye
> T.

Re: EPUB anyone

stepharo
We got two students working on epub for pillar but their never delivered.
What we learned is that is that it was not that complex. The meta data
were more a problem.
The pub exporter should not work.

Stef

Le 13/11/15 18:44, Torsten Bergmann a écrit :

> Hi
>
> Is there anyone working on/with EPUB in Pharo?
>
> If I remember correctly there was once the idea of an
> EPUB exporter for Pillar.
>
> Status/Plans?
>
> Thanks for an update
>
> Bye
> T.

beamer-documentation.pdf (534K) Download Attachment
Pillar-ExporterEpub-xvw.5.mcz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: EPUB anyone

stepharo
would be great :)