ES3 or ES5?

Herby Vojčík
Hello,

I'd like to ask to what platform is amber directed? I thought it is ES3,
since it tries to be backward compatible, and that's why ES5 constructs
are not used widely.

But then I found there are methods which use JSON.stringify. That's ES5
construct (should I know I can use JSON.stringify I would use it in
String>>asJavascript as well, it's the most natural (and fast) solution
for ES5 platform).

So, how it is with amber and ES5, exactly?

Herby

P.S.: If it's ES5-directed, then all my guards for Object.keys existence
should go away as well, shouldn't they?

P.P.S.: Alternatively, could it be declared that ES3 is not supported
anymore and 0.9.2 will be officially ES5-only (use polyfills like
es5-shim yourself if you need to work on old sw)?

Re: ES3 or ES5?

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Herby

I would prefer ES5.

Reason

1)
The Amber system will become much neater if it can rely e.g. on the
new Array functions of ES5.

2)
IE9 came out one year ago and supports it; the other current browsers
do it as well.
Amber is still in 0.9 version numbers; the time it will be ready it
will not so much be an issue that only IE9 plus is supported

--Hannes

On 5/9/12, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask to what platform is amber directed? I thought it is ES3,
> since it tries to be backward compatible, and that's why ES5 constructs
> are not used widely.
>
> But then I found there are methods which use JSON.stringify. That's ES5
> construct (should I know I can use JSON.stringify I would use it in
> String>>asJavascript as well, it's the most natural (and fast) solution
> for ES5 platform).
>
> So, how it is with amber and ES5, exactly?
>
> Herby
>
> P.S.: If it's ES5-directed, then all my guards for Object.keys existence
> should go away as well, shouldn't they?
>
> P.P.S.: Alternatively, could it be declared that ES3 is not supported
> anymore and 0.9.2 will be officially ES5-only (use polyfills like
> es5-shim yourself if you need to work on old sw)?

Re: ES3 or ES5?

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

I agree, it's time to move to ES5.
If it doesn't bother anyone else.

Cheers,
Nico

2012/5/9 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
Hi Herby

I would prefer ES5.

Reason

1)
The Amber system will become much neater if it can rely e.g. on the
new Array functions of ES5.

2)
IE9 came out one year ago and supports it; the other current browsers
do it as well.
Amber is still in 0.9 version numbers; the time it will be ready it
will not so much be an issue that only IE9 plus is supported

--Hannes

On 5/9/12, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask to what platform is amber directed? I thought it is ES3,
> since it tries to be backward compatible, and that's why ES5 constructs
> are not used widely.
>
> But then I found there are methods which use JSON.stringify. That's ES5
> construct (should I know I can use JSON.stringify I would use it in
> String>>asJavascript as well, it's the most natural (and fast) solution
> for ES5 platform).
>
> So, how it is with amber and ES5, exactly?
>
> Herby
>
> P.S.: If it's ES5-directed, then all my guards for Object.keys existence
> should go away as well, shouldn't they?
>
> P.P.S.: Alternatively, could it be declared that ES3 is not supported
> anymore and 0.9.2 will be officially ES5-only (use polyfills like
> es5-shim yourself if you need to work on old sw)?

Re: ES3 or ES5?

laurent laffont
If there's an impact on IE8/7 support, I suggest to tag/release an Amber version before the move.

Laurent

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM, nicolas petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

I agree, it's time to move to ES5.
If it doesn't bother anyone else.

Cheers,
Nico

2012/5/9 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>

Hi Herby

I would prefer ES5.

Reason

1)
The Amber system will become much neater if it can rely e.g. on the
new Array functions of ES5.

2)
IE9 came out one year ago and supports it; the other current browsers
do it as well.
Amber is still in 0.9 version numbers; the time it will be ready it
will not so much be an issue that only IE9 plus is supported

--Hannes

On 5/9/12, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask to what platform is amber directed? I thought it is ES3,
> since it tries to be backward compatible, and that's why ES5 constructs
> are not used widely.
>
> But then I found there are methods which use JSON.stringify. That's ES5
> construct (should I know I can use JSON.stringify I would use it in
> String>>asJavascript as well, it's the most natural (and fast) solution
> for ES5 platform).
>
> So, how it is with amber and ES5, exactly?
>
> Herby
>
> P.S.: If it's ES5-directed, then all my guards for Object.keys existence
> should go away as well, shouldn't they?
>
> P.P.S.: Alternatively, could it be declared that ES3 is not supported
> anymore and 0.9.2 will be officially ES5-only (use polyfills like
> es5-shim yourself if you need to work on old sw)?

Re: ES3 or ES5?

Hannes Hirzel
Yes, that would be good to have a release with ES3 before moving to
ES5. And the move does not necessarily be immediately IMHO. It depends
in which way Amber is used. For example Laurent has it in productive
use for a library and there IE7/8 is an issue, I suppose. However as I
wrote personally I would prefer ES5 as of now.

--Hannes

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Yes, that would be good to have a release with ES3 before moving to
> ES5. And the move does not necessarily be immediately IMHO. It depends
> in which way Amber is used. For example Laurent has it in productive
> use for a library and there IE7/8 is an issue, I suppose. However as I

Me, too, but two points:
- it is not fully ES3 complaint (there are few uses of JSON.stringify
and that is only what I spotted)
- is it too much to ask for (or include) a shim for that library?

Herby

2012/5/9 Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]>

H. Hirzel wrote:
Yes, that would be good to have a release with ES3 before moving to
ES5. And the move does not necessarily be immediately IMHO. It depends
in which way Amber is used. For example Laurent has it in productive
use for a library and there IE7/8 is an issue, I suppose. However as I

Me, too, but two points:
- it is not fully ES3 complaint (there are few uses of JSON.stringify and that is only what I spotted)

There's the well known JSON library for that. I don't think there's any other issue with ES5.

- is it too much to ask for (or include) a shim for that library?

Nope, I think it's a good move. Include JSON.js and some polyfills should be ok. But it will require testing, I want to move Amber to 1.0 eventually :)

Cheers,
Nico

Herby

<[hidden email]>wrote:

[...]

Vicnet-2
Hello,

I found this compatibility table on ES5 between different browsers.
IE7/8 is almost compatible with... nothing new !

The others issues that are not compatible in some "current" others browsers:
  • Function.prototype.bind
  • Zero-width chars in identifiers

a+
Vincent