ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

Mariano Martinez Peck
We are incredibly proud to announce that ESUG was selected for the GSoC 2010. We have a long list of wonderful projects, mentors and a cool website.

We want to thank you to all the people who help us publishing project ideas, giving feedback on the submit text or the English, etc.

For the moment, we don't know the slots (amount of projects) that we will receive.

Don't worry. We will contact you again very soon to let you know the following steps.

Now, prepare yourself. We have to show the rest of the world why we love Smalltalk so much :)

Thank you very much.

The very happy GSoC admin team

Re: [GS/SS Beta] ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

Miguel Cobá
El jue, 18-03-2010 a las 23:33 +0100, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> We are incredibly proud to announce that ESUG was selected for the
> GSoC 2010. We have a long list of wonderful projects, mentors and a
> cool website.
>
> We want to thank you to all the people who help us publishing project
> ideas, giving feedback on the submit text or the English, etc.
>
> For the moment, we don't know the slots (amount of projects) that we
> will receive.
>
> Don't worry. We will contact you again very soon to let you know the
> following steps.
>
> Now, prepare yourself. We have to show the rest of the world why we
> love Smalltalk so much :)
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> The very happy GSoC admin team

Very good news. Thanks Mariano and Janko for the effort

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [Esug-list] ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

SergeStinckwich
Thank you Mariano and Janko for the great effort !

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are incredibly proud to announce that ESUG was selected for the GSoC
> 2010. We have a long list of wonderful projects, mentors and a cool website.
>
> We want to thank you to all the people who help us publishing project ideas,
> giving feedback on the submit text or the English, etc.
>
> For the moment, we don't know the slots (amount of projects) that we will
> receive.
>
> Don't worry. We will contact you again very soon to let you know the
> following steps.
>
> Now, prepare yourself. We have to show the rest of the world why we love
> Smalltalk so much :)
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> The very happy GSoC admin team

Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

George Herolyants-3
Thank you! Great job! My congratulations!

George

Re: ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Smalltalkers!

Maybe you are not aware of what our selection to this year GSoC really means for the Smalltalk community. And I wasn't aware completely until few hours. Just to give you an example, even such big organizations like Ruby or PHP where not selected. From this viewpoint  you can see what we have achieved.

Some people said and still says that Smalltalk is old and that it is dead. Ok, we have been selected by the major Informatics and Software company all over the world.

The point is that ESUG and the Smalltalk community was selected because of the seriousness mixed with passion of all the application, project and ideas. We have an incredible high quality list of ideas and mentors.

We have a unique opportunity to show the rest of the world why we love Smalltalk, why it is much better than other alternatives, etc. So, we invite all of you to make this happens.

Thanks to everybody for all the congratulations and nice words!!!

Your GSoC admins

[hidden email]

http://gsoc2010.esug.org

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
We are incredibly proud to announce that ESUG was selected for the GSoC 2010. We have a long list of wonderful projects, mentors and a cool website.

We want to thank you to all the people who help us publishing project ideas, giving feedback on the submit text or the English, etc.

For the moment, we don't know the slots (amount of projects) that we will receive.

Don't worry. We will contact you again very soon to let you know the following steps.

Now, prepare yourself. We have to show the rest of the world why we love Smalltalk so much :)

Thank you very much.

The very happy GSoC admin team

Re: [GS/SS Beta] ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

Carla F. Griggio
This is great!
I read that Google also prioritized organizations that had not participated before, in order to give them more visibility to the whole programmers community. So this is a big opportunity gain popularity :)

Congratulations!

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stéphane Rollandin
> Some people said and still says that Smalltalk is old and that it is
> dead. Ok, we have been selected by the major Informatics and Software
> company all over the world.

man, I didn't realize Google was the ultimate authority on programming
languages...

I like Smalltalk, I know it is alive, and weither Google or any other
company/governement/people/pope agree with me on that, well, I don't care.

let's keep some dignity please...

Re: ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

Yanni Chiu
Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> Some people said and still says that Smalltalk is old and that it is
>> dead. Ok, we have been selected by the major Informatics and Software
>> company all over the world.
>
> man, I didn't realize Google was the ultimate authority on programming
> languages...
>
> I like Smalltalk, I know it is alive, and weither Google or any other
> company/governement/people/pope agree with me on that, well, I don't care.
>
> let's keep some dignity please...

After years (decades?) of marketing mishaps, what's wrong with some
"high-fives" over a point in the win column.

Re: ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

Richard Durr-2
Yay ^^ Good Job and Congratulations :D Maybe I apply for one of the
projects... :D

(@Stéphane Rollandin: Urs Hölzle is at Google by the way ^^)

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>>>
>>> Some people said and still says that Smalltalk is old and that it is
>>> dead. Ok, we have been selected by the major Informatics and Software
>>> company all over the world.
>>
>> man, I didn't realize Google was the ultimate authority on programming
>> languages...
>>
>> I like Smalltalk, I know it is alive, and weither Google or any other
>> company/governement/people/pope agree with me on that, well, I don't care.
>>
>> let's keep some dignity please...
>
> After years (decades?) of marketing mishaps, what's wrong with some
> "high-fives" over a point in the win column.

Re: [Esug-list] Re: ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

Jean Marshall and Andy Berry
Hi!

Well done everybody!

Here's something I wrote on why I like Smalltalk:

Hope you all continuing having fun Smalltalking! ;-)

Andy

Re: ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

CdAB63
Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> Some people said and still says that Smalltalk is old and that it is
>> dead. Ok, we have been selected by the major Informatics and Software
>> company all over the world.
>>
> man, I didn't realize Google was the ultimate authority on programming
> languages...
>
> I like Smalltalk, I know it is alive, and weither Google or any other
> company/governement/people/pope agree with me on that, well, I don't care.
>
> let's keep some dignity please...

Let's face some facts: C was around in 1960ies. It became popular around
end of 1980ies because hardware became available and Unix systems
started to sell. Then, in 1994 there was Java that caught because Sun
invested loads of bucks in it, created astounding documentation prior to
product launch, favored all kinds of formation programs around the
product and distributed it for free. When Java was launched, most
smalltalks weren't fit to that day hardware (image size among other
things). Then smalltalk was plagued by a whole wave of bad marketing and
proprietary code.

During most of the period encompassed between 1994->2008 most "market"
was satisfied with java & the likes. Around 2004 some people started to
mind about limitations of the "java model" & investment in things like
python/ruby/etc increased. There was also a peak of interest in
smalltalk (not only squeak things but also slate, etc). Interesting
enough, things converged (like python moving in several senses toward
ideas originally devised in smalltalk communities).

As I put in my first postings in this list, smalltalk is still posed to
future. In several senses it is solidly better than java things and has
much bigger basis for development. So, what is preventing greater
investments (academic/industrial) in smalltalk? IMO, first problem has
been addressed by SOB: it is necessary to make squeak really open source
& it had to be done via re-licensing code (something that's painfully
slow). The second thing has also been dealt with SOB: the availability
of a "trunk" which is centrally managed & consistent. The third
limitation is the lack of "official" documentation. There is a wiki but
it is also absolutely outdated & in many instances it is necessary to
refer to, let's say, Cincom to find docs... This problem must be solved.
When we talk about popularization we look far away from academic groups
or geek groups (90% of current community) and start thinking in terms of
software houses that employ people with little more than high school,
people who have to deliver code really fast paced without thinking much
about what they're doing...

I guess that after dealing with licenses & 4 & "trunking" 4 a little
thought on documentation would be good.

Good weekend all of you !!!
CdAB

Re: [Esug-list] Re: ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

Nicolas Cellier
2010/3/20 Jean Marshall and Andy Berry <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> Well done everybody!
>
> Here's something I wrote on why I like Smalltalk:
>
> http://www.tof.co.uk/stories/page14.html
>
> Hope you all continuing having fun Smalltalking! ;-)
>
> Andy

Well put. Open, Based on simple rules, Fun, ...
But Smalltalk is more than that ;)

Nicolas

Rita Freudenberg
Hi Mariano,

I just got an offer from a student that he would like to work on the
Squeakland education project we submitted for GSoC. Will this
information already be collected somewhere, or is it too early in the
process?

Greetings,
Rita

Am 19.03.2010 um 16:01 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck:

> Hi Smalltalkers!
>
> Maybe you are not aware of what our selection to this year GSoC
> really means for the Smalltalk community. And I wasn't aware
> completely until few hours. Just to give you an example, even such
> big organizations like Ruby or PHP where not selected. From this
> viewpoint  you can see what we have achieved.
>
> Some people said and still says that Smalltalk is old and that it is
> dead. Ok, we have been selected by the major Informatics and
> Software company all over the world.
>
> The point is that ESUG and the Smalltalk community was selected
> because of the seriousness mixed with passion of all the
> application, project and ideas. We have an incredible high quality
> list of ideas and mentors.
>
> We have a unique opportunity to show the rest of the world why we
> love Smalltalk, why it is much better than other alternatives, etc.
> So, we invite all of you to make this happens.
>
> Thanks to everybody for all the congratulations and nice words!!!
>
> Your GSoC admins
>
> [hidden email]
>
> http://gsoc2010.esug.org
>
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> We are incredibly proud to announce that ESUG was selected for the
> GSoC 2010. We have a long list of wonderful projects, mentors and a
> cool website.
>
> We want to thank you to all the people who help us publishing
> project ideas, giving feedback on the submit text or the English, etc.
>
> For the moment, we don't know the slots (amount of projects) that we
> will receive.
>
> Don't worry. We will contact you again very soon to let you know the
> following steps.
>
> Now, prepare yourself. We have to show the rest of the world why we
> love Smalltalk so much :)
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> The very happy GSoC admin team

Rita Freudenberg

Re: ESUG selected as GSoC 2010 mentoring organization!!!!

Ralph Johnson
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <[hidden email]> wrote:

Let's face some facts: C was around in 1960ies. It became popular around
end of 1980ies because hardware became available and Unix systems
started to sell. Then, in 1994 there was Java that caught because Sun
invested loads of bucks in it, created astounding documentation prior to
product launch, favored all kinds of formation programs around the
product and distributed it for free. When Java was launched, most
smalltalks weren't fit to that day hardware (image size among other
things). Then smalltalk was plagued by a whole wave of bad marketing and
proprietary code.

Perhaps it is not worth correcting this, but you said "facts"  C was started in very early 70s, maybe 69, but I think actually 71.  It was a descendent of BCPL.  It was used for Unix, and Unix was very popular in CS departments by 1978 (when I went to grad school) because you got source for everything, and could do OS hacking with C.  Much of the early internet (ARPAnet, as it was called then) work was done in C.   Many companies were using C in the late 70s, though of course it kept growing through the 80s and "became popular" is somewhat arbitrary, but I think was long before late 80s.

During most of the period encompassed between 1994->2008 most "market"
was satisfied with java & the likes. Around 2004 some people started to
mind about limitations of the "java model" & investment in things like
python/ruby/etc increased. There was also a peak of interest in
smalltalk (not only squeak things but also slate, etc). Interesting
enough, things converged (like python moving in several senses toward
ideas originally devised in smalltalk communities).

Smalltalk started to take off around 1990.  People started using it before that, of course, but that was when you started reading stories in popular media about success on commercial projects with it.  It was growing something like 60% a year, which seemed quite good at the time, though Java put that to shame.  Java came out in 1995, but it was just a research prototype at first.  People started using it for serious things in 97/98, though at first every single big project failed.  I don't think people started succeeding at building large business systems until a few years later.  But some companies decided in 1997 that they were going to drop Smalltalk and use Java instead.  This is testimony to the wonderful marketing that Sun gave to Java.  Companies were dropping a technology that worked well  in favor of a technology that had never been used to do anything big.  This wasn't completely irrational; it was hard to find Smalltalk programmers and most of the companies pushing Smalltalk were very small.  IBM was the only big company pushing it, and Smalltalk was clearly not a major part of their strategy, like Linux and Java later became.  Big companies don't like to depend on small companies.  They like to depend on other large companies.  So, big companies were always leery of Smalltalk, and in spite of its technical advantages wanted something else.  They wanted something like Smalltalk but with big companies behind it, and something that was taught a lot in schools.  Java seemed better to them.

Smalltalk had a period of 5-6 years where people said "it is the next Cobol".  From the point of view of executives who lived through that period, Smalltalk tried and failed.  Of course, it didn't really fail.  People built lots of big Smalltalk systems that worked very well.  Some of them are still around, like ControlWorks and Kapital.  Of course, there were  Smalltalk development projects that failed.  Using Smalltalk is no garentee that a project will succeed.  Big projects tend to fail no matter what you build them in.  But technically, Smalltalk was a success.  However, it didn't take off, so in people's minds it was a failure, it is hard to fight that perception.

This is the past.  It doesn't have to be the future.  But it is usually helpful to understand the past if you want to change the future.

-Ralph