ESUG

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Squeakers were missed this year at ESUG. Meals shared among members of Squeak, Pharo, CUIS, and more were highlights for me in previous years. Hopefully we will all celebrate again together next year...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ESUG

Göran Krampe
Hey!

On 09/23/2013 03:16 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Squeakers were missed this year at ESUG. Meals shared among members of
> Squeak, Pharo, CUIS, and more were highlights for me in previous years.
> Hopefully we will all celebrate again together next year...

Well, I was there but I am not sure "what" I am these days :)

I work with both currently and in my "mind" I don't view the communities
as separate but overlapping, perhaps not in the sense that many people
use both like I do - but definitely in the sense that a lot of people
used Squeak earlier and now Pharo.

And the VM is shared etc etc

regards, Göran

Re: ESUG

Casey Ransberger-2
If I'm reading Sean right, it sounds like the event was maybe dominated a bit more by Cincom than usual? If Squeak, Pharo, and Cuis were mostly absent, I'm not sure what else is left. Maybe the GNU Smalltalk folks?

I will totally go to next year's ESUG if someone wants to give me a grant to cover the bus fare (I'll need to build an amphibious bus.)

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey!

On 09/23/2013 03:16 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
Squeakers were missed this year at ESUG. Meals shared among members of
Squeak, Pharo, CUIS, and more were highlights for me in previous years.
Hopefully we will all celebrate again together next year...

Well, I was there but I am not sure "what" I am these days :)

I work with both currently and in my "mind" I don't view the communities as separate but overlapping, perhaps not in the sense that many people use both like I do - but definitely in the sense that a lot of people used Squeak earlier and now Pharo.

And the VM is shared etc etc

regards, Göran

Re: ESUG

Frank Shearar-3
I read Sean as asking "where were all the Squeakers?"

frank

On 24 September 2013 00:40, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I'm reading Sean right, it sounds like the event was maybe dominated a
> bit more by Cincom than usual? If Squeak, Pharo, and Cuis were mostly
> absent, I'm not sure what else is left. Maybe the GNU Smalltalk folks?
>
> I will totally go to next year's ESUG if someone wants to give me a grant to
> cover the bus fare (I'll need to build an amphibious bus.)
>

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey!
>>

>> On 09/23/2013 03:16 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>>>
>>> Squeakers were missed this year at ESUG. Meals shared among members of
>>> Squeak, Pharo, CUIS, and more were highlights for me in previous years.
>>> Hopefully we will all celebrate again together next year...
>>

>> Well, I was there but I am not sure "what" I am these days :)
>>
>> I work with both currently and in my "mind" I don't view the communities
>> as separate but overlapping, perhaps not in the sense that many people use
>> both like I do - but definitely in the sense that a lot of people used
>> Squeak earlier and now Pharo.
>>
>> And the VM is shared etc etc
>>
>> regards, Göran

Re: ESUG

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Frank Shearar-3 wrote
I read Sean as asking "where were all the Squeakers?"
Yes, that's what I meant. Squeak, which I've viewed in previous years as an important part of the conference, seemed conspicuously absent.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ESUG

Tobias Pape
Am 24.09.2013 um 14:08 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:

> Frank Shearar-3 wrote
>> I read Sean as asking "where were all the Squeakers?"
>
> Yes, that's what I meant. Squeak, which I've viewed in previous years as an
> important part of the conference, seemed conspicuously absent.

Let's call it coincidental.
I wanted to go but I couldn't make it.
Nevertheless, it would be probably a good idea
to encourage participation at ESUG, eg,
by sending at least one Board member or
funding students to go there.
  Hey Board, what do you think?

@Sean, was the next venue already announced?

Best
        -Tobias

Re: ESUG

Casey Ransberger-2

On Sep 24, 2013, at 2:35 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I read Sean as asking "where were all the Squeakers?"
>
> frank

Ah. Maybe an amphibious bus would actually work then. Unless someone's got a spare balloon...

> On 24 September 2013 00:40, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If I'm reading Sean right, it sounds like the event was maybe dominated a
>> bit more by Cincom than usual? If Squeak, Pharo, and Cuis were mostly
>> absent, I'm not sure what else is left. Maybe the GNU Smalltalk folks?
>>
>> I will totally go to next year's ESUG if someone wants to give me a grant to
>> cover the bus fare (I'll need to build an amphibious bus.)
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey!

>>> Well, I was there but I am not sure "what" I am these days :)
>>>
>>> I work with both currently and in my "mind" I don't view the communities
>>> as separate but overlapping, perhaps not in the sense that many people use
>>> both like I do - but definitely in the sense that a lot of people used
>>> Squeak earlier and now Pharo.
>>>
>>> And the VM is shared etc etc
>>>
>>> regards, Göran

Re: ESUG

Edgar De Cleene

On 9/24/13 10:50 AM, "Casey Ransberger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unless someone's got a spare balloon...

Maybe in USA some rent giant balloon for Atlantic cruise ?
Sounds as a great adventure and sure some could be interested in finance
such ting.

Edgar

Re: ESUG

Chris Muller-3
It's possible that Squeakers reside more in the America's than in
Europe.  Squeak had a good presence at this year's STIC conference in
Phoenix, AZ USA.  Dan Ingalls did a keynote where showed us a "few of
his favorite things" (in Squeak).  I also did a quick presentation, as
did Tim Rowledge.  I also met fellow Squeaker John-Reed Mafeo and
others.

I'm sure I would enjoy ESUG but it was too far to travel after having
attended the other conf.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Frank Shearar-3 wrote
>> I read Sean as asking "where were all the Squeakers?"
>
> Yes, that's what I meant. Squeak, which I've viewed in previous years as an
> important part of the conference, seemed conspicuously absent.
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: ESUG

Casey Ransberger-2
Totally. We could set up an OpenQwaq server, get the video codec and do it all with Smalltalk. Okay, who wants to pay for the server?

(hopefully people are laughing and not thinking I'm some horrible troll at this point)

On Sep 24, 2013, at 8:13 AM, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

garduino

2013/9/24 Chris Muller <[hidden email]>
It's possible that Squeakers reside more in the America's than in
Europe.  Squeak had a good presence at this year's STIC conference in
Phoenix, AZ USA.  Dan Ingalls did a keynote where showed us a "few of
his favorite things" (in Squeak).  I also did a quick presentation, as
did Tim Rowledge.  I also met fellow Squeaker John-Reed Mafeo and
others.

Interesting!, slides and videos are available somewhere?

Re: ESUG

garduino

2013/9/24 Bob Arning <[hidden email]>
It strikes me that a tech-smart bunch like this could incorporate remote presence if people really wanted to be there, but couldn't make it physically.

Yes, I completely agree especially in cases such long journeys.

BTW, in just over a month, we have the annual conference in Argentina: http://www.fast.org.ar/smalltalks2013

Re: ESUG

timrowledge

On 24-09-2013, at 8:30 AM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Totally. We could set up an OpenQwaq server, get the video codec and do it all with Smalltalk. Okay, who wants to pay for the server?

Ron T and his company have been very generous about providing access before and I imagine he might do so again for such a use. Another option that is very simple to use (at the receiving end, anyway) is a google hangout thingy.

And if someone organises a suitable conference in a nice part of the UK (there are some still left, even after the best efforts of  DopeyDave & gang) during school summer vacation (so I get to see my dozens of nephews and nieces) then I'll even consider the pain of trans-continental flying. Unless of course  - http://www.gizmag.com/aeros-gets-faa-approval-for-testing/28970/ - magically gets turned into a working long-haul passenger network.

tim
Inoculatte (v): To take coffee intravenously when you are running late

Re: ESUG

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tobias Pape wrote
Let's call it coincidental.
Fair enough, just wanted to acknowledge the great big hole in my heart ;)

Tobias Pape wrote
@Sean, was the next venue already announced?
Not that I know of...
Cheers,