Easy first issues for Pharo contributors?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Easy first issues for Pharo contributors?

jgfoster
Hi Pharo developers,

I have a few undergraduate students taking OO programming and I’m using the Pharo MOOC to get started. One of the goals in our CS program is to get students familiar with a development process using Git, so we require contributions to an open source project is a few classes. I’d like to assign a Pharo contribution and am looking for easy first issues. I’ll take a look at the issues marked ‘Easy’ as well as the “Simple Issues for Beginners” project, but would welcome additional ones.

My current thought is to go through tests looking for use of #’assert:’ that could be changed to #’assert:equals:’. I view this as being an improvement but still quite safe and easy to describe. Most of the work will be setting up the environment and going through the development cycle; I want the actual coding to be minimal (but still useful).

James Foster
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Easy first issues for Pharo contributors?

ducasse

> On 6 Oct 2019, at 07:04, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Pharo developers,
>
> I have a few undergraduate students taking OO programming and I’m using the Pharo MOOC to get started. One of the goals in our CS program is to get students familiar with a development process using Git, so we require contributions to an open source project is a few classes. I’d like to assign a Pharo contribution and am looking for easy first issues.

Excellent idea!

> I’ll take a look at the issues marked ‘Easy’ as well as the “Simple Issues for Beginners” project, but would welcome additional ones.

It would be super cool to add executable examples to number and others.

> My current thought is to go through tests looking for use of #’assert:’ that could be changed to #’assert:equals:’. I view this as being an improvement but still quite safe and easy to describe. Most of the work will be setting up the environment and going through the development cycle; I want the actual coding to be minimal (but still useful).

Yes.
Once back in 2005 I gave as exercise to write tests for collections (because they were none back then) after I reviewed revise them and committed them.
So looking at coverage of classes may be a nice option too.

I think that what you can also ask them is to
        - reproduce issue
        - comment issue
This is an important aspect too.

Stef
>
> James Foster

Reply | Threaded
|

jgfoster
All good suggestions. I especially like the executable examples idea since that will demonstrate understanding of the code but still be easy to describe and easy to confirm. Thanks!

> On Oct 6, 2019, at 3:10 AM, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>> On 6 Oct 2019, at 07:04, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pharo developers,
>>
>> I have a few undergraduate students taking OO programming and I’m using the Pharo MOOC to get started. One of the goals in our CS program is to get students familiar with a development process using Git, so we require contributions to an open source project is a few classes. I’d like to assign a Pharo contribution and am looking for easy first issues.
>
> Excellent idea!
>
>> I’ll take a look at the issues marked ‘Easy’ as well as the “Simple Issues for Beginners” project, but would welcome additional ones.
>
> It would be super cool to add executable examples to number and others.
>
>> My current thought is to go through tests looking for use of #’assert:’ that could be changed to #’assert:equals:’. I view this as being an improvement but still quite safe and easy to describe. Most of the work will be setting up the environment and going through the development cycle; I want the actual coding to be minimal (but still useful).
>
> Yes.
> Once back in 2005 I gave as exercise to write tests for collections (because they were none back then) after I reviewed revise them and committed them.
> So looking at coverage of classes may be a nice option too.
>
> I think that what you can also ask them is to
> - reproduce issue
> - comment issue
> This is an important aspect too.
>
> Stef
>>
>> James Foster
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

CyrilFerlicot

On Sun 6 Oct 2019 at 16:12, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
All good suggestions. I especially like the executable examples idea since that will demonstrate understanding of the code but still be easy to describe and easy to confirm. Thanks!

Hi, 

Adding method, class and package comments is also simple and great for the community :)

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr
Reply | Threaded
|

jgfoster
In reply to this post by jgfoster
Stef,

I see that you added executable comments tasks to the “Simple Issues for Beginners” project. Thanks!

Another idea I had is method category cleanup. While there is some judgment involved in many of the category names, I see several names that are misspellings (starting with 'accessing’). I don’t know if you want to add a task for that as well, or we can just open pull requests.

James

> On Oct 6, 2019, at 7:11 AM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All good suggestions. I especially like the executable examples idea since that will demonstrate understanding of the code but still be easy to describe and easy to confirm. Thanks!
>
>> On Oct 6, 2019, at 3:10 AM, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> On 6 Oct 2019, at 07:04, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Pharo developers,
>>>
>>> I have a few undergraduate students taking OO programming and I’m using the Pharo MOOC to get started. One of the goals in our CS program is to get students familiar with a development process using Git, so we require contributions to an open source project is a few classes. I’d like to assign a Pharo contribution and am looking for easy first issues.
>>
>> Excellent idea!
>>
>>> I’ll take a look at the issues marked ‘Easy’ as well as the “Simple Issues for Beginners” project, but would welcome additional ones.
>>
>> It would be super cool to add executable examples to number and others.
>>
>>> My current thought is to go through tests looking for use of #’assert:’ that could be changed to #’assert:equals:’. I view this as being an improvement but still quite safe and easy to describe. Most of the work will be setting up the environment and going through the development cycle; I want the actual coding to be minimal (but still useful).
>>
>> Yes.
>> Once back in 2005 I gave as exercise to write tests for collections (because they were none back then) after I reviewed revise them and committed them.
>> So looking at coverage of classes may be a nice option too.
>>
>> I think that what you can also ask them is to
>> - reproduce issue
>> - comment issue
>> This is an important aspect too.
>>
>> Stef
>>>
>>> James Foster
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

ducasse

> On 11 Oct 2019, at 06:20, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Stef,
>
> I see that you added executable comments tasks to the “Simple Issues for Beginners” project. Thanks!
>
> Another idea I had is method category cleanup. While there is some judgment involved in many of the category names, I see several names that are misspellings (starting with 'accessing’). I don’t know if you want to add a task for that as well, or we can just open pull requests.

Yes I have a little tool for that
the automatic method categorizer
It has some methods for doing analysis and also fixing system wide problems.

Stef