Editing the Components?

Jimmie Houchin-3
Hello,

I am trying to learn the Pier setup. I am having a hard time finding how
to edit the components that are in the default Pier setup.

For example. In the default Pier install it says Pier in the Header. How
do I grab the header to change that? I've toggled halos, inspected
objects, etc. but have apparently missed where I can edit its contents
and not its ComponentClass.

Now I see that if I go to Navigation and go to Environment and do 'Edit'
that I have a contents box with the html. I can edit some of the stuff
there. But not the header.

I know I am missing something. Any help in understanding this is greatly
appreciated.

Also, is there any level of undo or persistence of these objects when
edited? Say I decide to change the 'Environment' html. But I decide I
liked it better before. I do not see anything like that. Is there
anything like that in the framework machinery?

Any wisdom greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: Editing the Components?

Damien Pollet
On 04/09/07, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now I see that if I go to Navigation and go to Environment and do 'Edit'
> that I have a contents box with the html. I can edit some of the stuff
> there. But not the header.

the contents of Environment just includes (+ link instead of *) the
Header component, which is just another structure (I have it at
/Environment/Header here). If you edit that you can change its title.
There are a few macros that you can use to display the kernel name or
the current structure title etc. Look at class PRMacroExpander

> Also, is there any level of undo or persistence of these objects when
> edited? Say I decide to change the 'Environment' html. But I decide I
> liked it better before. I do not see anything like that. Is there
> anything like that in the framework machinery?

I don't think so

--
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: Editing the Components?

Jimmie Houchin-3
Hello Damien,

Thanks for the reply.

Damien Pollet wrote:

> On 04/09/07, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Now I see that if I go to Navigation and go to Environment and do 'Edit'
>> that I have a contents box with the html. I can edit some of the stuff
>> there. But not the header.
>
> the contents of Environment just includes (+ link instead of *) the
> Header component, which is just another structure (I have it at
> /Environment/Header here). If you edit that you can change its title.
> There are a few macros that you can use to display the kernel name or
> the current structure title etc. Look at class PRMacroExpander

I've been there. Unfortunately the 'Title' of the 'header' is not what
is displayed as its contents. When I click on edit and I edit the
'Title' of 'header' the only changes made are to the list of items under
the Environment node in the Navigation tree. The contents of the header
remain the same.

I'll have to take a look at PRMacroExpander.

Currently the 'header' displays the Kernel name as its contents.

In fact it seems that the Kernel name is attached to the Header
Component. If I go to add my own header using the 'add', then I 'edit'
it and give it a uniqueTitle, then it still displays the Kernel name as
its contents. And the edit form does not have a 'Contents' edit box.

It seems to me that if there is displayed content, that such content
should be editable somewhere in the interface.

:(  I'm still missing something. Or that's a place Pier hasn't gotten to
yet.

>> Also, is there any level of undo or persistence of these objects when
>> edited? Say I decide to change the 'Environment' html. But I decide I
>> liked it better before. I do not see anything like that. Is there
>> anything like that in the framework machinery?
>
> I don't think so

:(

Thanks again.

Jimmie

Re: Editing the Components?

Jason Johnson-5
Is it not the case that the title stuff is done with CSS?  If you have
Mozzilla you can go into the View menu and turn off styles.  I think
you will see then that the title is just plain text, and I think it is
set in a component.

I use Pier on my site but I don't think I have a single component in
my web site that comes from the stock install.  I have modified
everything and unless you log in as me you wouldn't even know it was
Pier.

On 9/4/07, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Damien,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Damien Pollet wrote:
> > On 04/09/07, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Now I see that if I go to Navigation and go to Environment and do 'Edit'
> >> that I have a contents box with the html. I can edit some of the stuff
> >> there. But not the header.
> >
> > the contents of Environment just includes (+ link instead of *) the
> > Header component, which is just another structure (I have it at
> > /Environment/Header here). If you edit that you can change its title.
> > There are a few macros that you can use to display the kernel name or
> > the current structure title etc. Look at class PRMacroExpander
>
> I've been there. Unfortunately the 'Title' of the 'header' is not what
> is displayed as its contents. When I click on edit and I edit the
> 'Title' of 'header' the only changes made are to the list of items under
> the Environment node in the Navigation tree. The contents of the header
> remain the same.
>
> I'll have to take a look at PRMacroExpander.
>
> Currently the 'header' displays the Kernel name as its contents.
>
> In fact it seems that the Kernel name is attached to the Header
> Component. If I go to add my own header using the 'add', then I 'edit'
> it and give it a uniqueTitle, then it still displays the Kernel name as
> its contents. And the edit form does not have a 'Contents' edit box.
>
> It seems to me that if there is displayed content, that such content
> should be editable somewhere in the interface.
>
> :(  I'm still missing something. Or that's a place Pier hasn't gotten to
> yet.
>
> >> Also, is there any level of undo or persistence of these objects when
> >> edited? Say I decide to change the 'Environment' html. But I decide I
> >> liked it better before. I do not see anything like that. Is there
> >> anything like that in the framework machinery?
> >
> > I don't think so
>
> :(
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Jimmie

Re: Editing the Components?

Lukas Renggli-2
>>> Now I see that if I go to Navigation and go to Environment and do
>>> 'Edit'
>>> that I have a contents box with the html. I can edit some of the
>>> stuff
>>> there. But not the header.
>>
>> the contents of Environment just includes (+ link instead of *) the
>> Header component, which is just another structure (I have it at
>> /Environment/Header here). If you edit that you can change its title.
>> There are a few macros that you can use to display the kernel name or
>> the current structure title etc. Look at class PRMacroExpander
>
> I've been there. Unfortunately the 'Title' of the 'header' is not what
> is displayed as its contents. When I click on edit and I edit the
> 'Title' of 'header' the only changes made are to the list of items
> under
> the Environment node in the Navigation tree. The contents of the
> header
> remain the same.

Check out settings of the 'header'.

> In fact it seems that the Kernel name is attached to the Header
> Component. If I go to add my own header using the 'add', then I 'edit'
> it and give it a uniqueTitle, then it still displays the Kernel
> name as
> its contents. And the edit form does not have a 'Contents' edit box.

The kernel name comes trough one of these macros that were mentioned.
Of course you can put any string there, the title of the current
page, the command, etc.

> It seems to me that if there is displayed content, that such content
> should be editable somewhere in the interface.

This is the settings command.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Editing the Components?

Jimmie Houchin-3
Hello Lukas,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Lukas Renggli wrote:
> [...]
[snip]
>> I've been there. Unfortunately the 'Title' of the 'header' is not what
>> is displayed as its contents. When I click on edit and I edit the
>> 'Title' of 'header' the only changes made are to the list of items
>> under the Environment node in the Navigation tree. The contents of the
>> header remain the same.
>
> Check out settings of the 'header'.

Okay, I've done that too. There was no place to edit the content of the
header. Now I've gone back and forth so many times exploring that I have
forgotten some of the things I've tried.

When you mentioned it above I did not remember that I had tried that
until I went and did it again. And lo and behold, it was there 'heading'
which contained the displayed contents. Yay!!!

So I went back and opened up the a default latest squeak-web image which
is what I've been using, (but I just recently updated everything from
the repository on the image I'm working with).
Went to Navigation -> Environment - Header, Settings, and there is no
'heading' to edit. That explains my previous experience.

I then went to your repository and updated the Pier version to the
latest Pier-Seaside and then tried it again and 'heading' was there.
Somewhere along the way you made changes which enabled/fixed this, that
haven't made it to the squeak-web Pier version.

OLD:
Settings
Menu:
Hide: Hide
Environment:
Title:
Command Classes:

NEW:
Settings
Visibility: Hide from menus
Navigation Title:
Environment:
Heading:
Command Classes:

>> In fact it seems that the Kernel name is attached to the Header
>> Component. If I go to add my own header using the 'add', then I 'edit'
>> it and give it a uniqueTitle, then it still displays the Kernel
>> name as its contents. And the edit form does not have a 'Contents' edit box.
>
> The kernel name comes trough one of these macros that were mentioned.
> Of course you can put any string there, the title of the current
> page, the command, etc.

Yes, I could see the %k when I inspected the object via the halos. But I
couldn't see how I could edit it. I'm not really sure what you can do
there with the doit and inspectit buttons.

>> It seems to me that if there is displayed content, that such content
>> should be editable somewhere in the interface.
>
> This is the settings command.

Thank you for this information and for providing this in whatever update
you put it in.

Thanks for all the work you put into Pier. I am so ready to see it
fulfill its potential.

I think it could deliver the best out of box end user experience
available. It could be a totally awesome way for an end user to do some
interesting things. Hopefully, as a fumble around I can learn enough to
help with some docs on this.

Again thanks.

Jimmie