Editor focus & hotkeys

blake watson
So, I'm entering code into a browser (Nautilus browser, though I don't
think this behavior is specific to Nautilus), press Ctrl+S to save
and...

...the code editor loses focus. Looks like it goes to the method pane,
which seems reasonable. But now, to enter my next method, I have to
take my hands off the keyboard and click the mouse. Nautilus seems
insensate to the Tab key...how do I get from the method pane back to
the code editor sans mouse?

===Blake===

Re: Editor focus & hotkeys

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
right arrow :)

Ben

On Apr 24, 2012, at 7:51 PM, blake wrote:

> So, I'm entering code into a browser (Nautilus browser, though I don't
> think this behavior is specific to Nautilus), press Ctrl+S to save
> and...
>
> ...the code editor loses focus. Looks like it goes to the method pane,
> which seems reasonable. But now, to enter my next method, I have to
> take my hands off the keyboard and click the mouse. Nautilus seems
> insensate to the Tab key...how do I get from the method pane back to
> the code editor sans mouse?
>
> ===Blake===

Re: Editor focus & hotkeys

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
right arrow :)
Hmm... why not tab? Kind of the gold standard. Also, it's not consistent because left doesn't go back (and obviously can't if you're in the middle somewhere). Maybe both (could be nice to have a left and right hand option on the keyboard)?

Also, it'd be nice if the first element in the list is automatically selected when the focus goes there. The border is hard to see (maybe a different issue) and it makes for smoother navigation (like Mac finder).

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Editor focus & hotkeys

blake watson

> Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
>>
>> right arrow :)
>>

> Hmm... why not tab? Kind of the gold standard. Also, it's not consistent
> because left doesn't go back (and obviously can't if you're in the middle
> somewhere). Maybe both (could be nice to have a left and right hand option
> on the keyboard)?

No, don't change it! Now I know the secret! Others should have to
suffer as well! :-)

> Also, it'd be nice if the first element in the list is automatically
> selected when the focus goes there. The border is hard to see (maybe a
> different issue) and it makes for smoother navigation (like Mac finder).

Yeah, it's really challenging to figure out where your key presses are gonna go.

===Blake===

On Apr 25, 2012, at 5:45 AM, blake wrote:

>> Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
>>>
>>> right arrow :)
>>>

>> Hmm... why not tab?

Because left is easier than shift tab :) but I can fix that ;)

>> Kind of the gold standard. Also, it's not consistent
>> because left doesn't go back (and obviously can't if you're in the middle
>> somewhere).

It should work :s (and I do not understand why it couldn't ?)

>> Maybe both (could be nice to have a left and right hand option
>> on the keyboard)?

Probably what I will do ;)

> No, don't change it! Now I know the secret! Others should have to
> suffer as well! :-)

Nice approach LOL That's why I do not comment my code :) It was hard to write, it should be hard to read ^^

>> Also, it'd be nice if the first element in the list is automatically
>> selected when the focus goes there. The border is hard to see (maybe a
>> different issue) and it makes for smoother navigation (like Mac finder).
>
> Yeah, it's really challenging to figure out where your key presses are gonna go.

But selecting the first element change the current state, and it's disturbing that the selection changes just by navigating through panes :s

Thank both of you for your feedback :)
Ben

> ===Blake===

Re: Editor focus & hotkeys

blake watson
>> No, don't change it! Now I know the secret! Others should have to
>> suffer as well! :-)
>
> Nice approach LOL That's why I do not comment my code :) It was hard to write, it should be hard to read ^^

Or, as I like to say before playing a song, "I've suffered for my
music, now it's your turn."

> Thank both of you for your feedback :)

Thanks for listening!

===Blake===

Re: Editor focus & hotkeys

Gary Chambers-4
Looks like stab/shift-tab is well broken at the moment.
I'll investigate further when I get time.

Regards, Gary

>>> No, don't change it! Now I know the secret! Others should have to
>>> suffer as well! :-)
>>
>> Nice approach LOL That's why I do not comment my code :) It was hard to
>> write, it should be hard to read ^^
>
> Or, as I like to say before playing a song, "I've suffered for my
> music, now it's your turn."
>

>> Thank both of you for your feedback :)
>
> Thanks for listening!
>
> ===Blake===

Re: Editor focus & hotkeys

Chris Muller-3
> Yeah, it's really challenging to figure out where your key presses are gonna go.

Not only that, but it requires the human to do a fine-motor click just
to -gain focus-.

Most of Pharo's focus problems can be solved by simply flipping two preferences:

    Keyboard focus on mouse down  :::   set it false  (instead of true)
    Lose keyboard focus when mouse leave  :::  set it true   (instead of false)

This will bring "power of pointing" to the hand.  By default, pointing
means *nothing* in Pharo -- only a click will cause anything to happen
in the UI.  But wouldn't it be nice to have a "mid-gesture", simply a
gross twitch of the mouse to be associated with focus?

It solves the issues you and I raised.  If you have a Lenovo laptop
(with trackpoint) its absolutely fantastic.  Otherwise, it is a bit
harder to get accustomed to at first because it will feel like a lot
of back-and-forth between keyboard and mouse -- but the mouse gestures
are quick and rough.  Once accustomed, going back to a
"click-for-focus" reveals how much extra energy that configuration
requires to operate.

Re: Editor focus & hotkeys

blake watson
> Most of Pharo's focus problems can be solved by simply flipping two preferences:
>
>    Keyboard focus on mouse down  :::   set it false  (instead of true)
>    Lose keyboard focus when mouse leave  :::  set it true   (instead of false)

Well, the problem I have with that is that my mouse is on a slippery,
uneven surface. Heh. So I only want mousing to mean something when I
want it to. Heh. Figure THAT one out.

No, with the hot keys I'm doing okay, except it'd be easier to have
some kind of indication of focus.

===Blake===