Efficient Roassal Layout

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
Hi,

I have a collection of objects (revisions of a Git repository) and I'm trying to build a tree of all the revisions (about 14k).

I already computed the neighboring relationships, thus for each revision I know parents and children revisions.

I wrote a small Roassal script to build a tree and I tried with subsets of revisions (i.e., 50, 100, 200, 300).

Everything works fine until I reach 375 revisions or so.. After more than 10 minutes the graph was not yet displayed.

So, I profiled the execution and discovered that the bottleneck is the ROHorizontalDominanceTreeLayout I'm using.

I know that the Dominance Tree Layout is expensive to compute, and I was wondering if you could suggest a layout to display a tree with more that 300 nodes.

Thanks in advance,
Roberto

Re: Efficient Roassal Layout

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

DominanceTreeLayout is expensive, indeed, and it is good for small graphs.

In your case, you should use a ROHorizontalTreeLayout.

Cheers,
Doru

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have a collection of objects (revisions of a Git repository) and I'm trying to build a tree of all the revisions (about 14k).

I already computed the neighboring relationships, thus for each revision I know parents and children revisions.

I wrote a small Roassal script to build a tree and I tried with subsets of revisions (i.e., 50, 100, 200, 300).

Everything works fine until I reach 375 revisions or so.. After more than 10 minutes the graph was not yet displayed.

So, I profiled the execution and discovered that the bottleneck is the ROHorizontalDominanceTreeLayout I'm using.

I know that the Dominance Tree Layout is expensive to compute, and I was wondering if you could suggest a layout to display a tree with more that 300 nodes.

Thanks in advance,
Roberto

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Efficient Roassal Layout

abergel
Performing a layout of a large graph is not easy.
You should ask yourself a number of questions:
  - do you need to see all the revisions at the same time?
  - what would be the workflow promoted by your visualization?
  - what are the scenarios that your visualization fit into?

I think answering these questions will help decompose the visualization to make it usable in practice.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu