classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EmbeddedValueToOneMapping fails to build objects if used in a subclass

jtuchel
Dear Glorp Community,

this is a little complex to explain, but I'll try.

I have a class hierarchy mapped to a single table using the FilteredTypeResolver.
In the subclass, there is a composed attribute that consists of the combination of two attributes (in may case a period in time between a start date and an end date).

For this period I use an EmbeddedValueToOneMapping. It does its job well in most of the cases, but I found one in which it doesn't.

This period istVar is only present in the subclass, not in the superclass. But since both are mapped to the same table, the table has the startDate and endDate column.

So we have class Superclass, which has a number of Attributes like id, version, name, whatever.
And we have a Subclass with a period attribute which is mapped to the columns startdate and enddate.

When I do:

Session read: Subclass, the result is fine.

When I do:

Session read: Superclass, the result is a Debugger (I am using VA Smalltalk 8.6.3, but the Glorp Code looks identical in Pharo 5).

The Error I get is: UndefinedObject does not understand instance.

And this is the method which doesn't work (I marked the faulty line in red):

EmbeddedValueOneToOneMapping>>#mapObject: anObject inElementBuilder: anElementBuilder
    | myTraceNode myBuilder |
    "If the object already has a value in my slot, then this it got a cache hit, the embedded value was carried along for the ride, and we don't need to assign anything"
    (self getValueFrom: anObject) isNil ifFalse: [^self].    "Otherwise, we need to look up the trace node that corresponds to this mapping, and get its instance"
    myTraceNode := anElementBuilder expression get: self attributeName.
    myBuilder := anElementBuilder query elementBuilderFor: myTraceNode.
    self setValueIn: anObject to: myBuilder instance.

The problem is that anElementBuilder query elementBuilderFor: myTraceNode returns nil instead of a Builder. And that is because anElementBuilder is the Builder of the Superclass (Base(Superclass)) and myTraceNode is (Base(Superclass).period). anElementBuilder query returns a Query for the superclass, and that Query has no mapping for #period, since that attribute is only mapped in a subclass.

So I guess what should really happen is that myBuilder has to be looked up not only in the superclass' query, but also in the query of the Builders of all Subclasses. But I don't know how to find the builders of all subclasses and iterate over these (there is a method named withAllSubbuilders, but that doesn't return what I want/need)... ?

Any hints, ideas, bugfixes are welcome

Joachim

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "glorp-group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/glorp-group.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: EmbeddedValueToOneMapping fails to build objects if used in a subclass

jtuchel
Hi Niall,

thanks for looking into this.

To me it seems like no other mapping really uses the info which Class' instance of it is populating. They just get the value and set it in the instance, only EmbeddedValueToOneMapping wants to use a Query for its job.

So I think there are two areas that could help solve this:
  • Either the mapping finds the ObjectBuilder for the concrete class the new instance is an instance of and searches for the appropriate myBuilder from the concrete instance upwards
  • ObjectBuilder>>#populateInstance hands over the correct subclass' builder into  Descriptor>>#populateObject:inBuilder: instead of itself.

The first option would reduce possible side effects by just changing the EmbeddedValueToOneMapping, but I think the second sounds like a generally "more correct" solution because you never know if other mappings could benefit from acting on the "correct" Builder.

However: I couldn't see an obvious way for doing either of these...

Joachim

Am 11.03.17 um 19:16 schrieb Niall Ross:
Dear Joachim,
today, I wrote a test that reproduced this problem (thanks for drawing it to my attention;  as it happens, it relates to an area I was working in anyway).  It seems to be specific to the interaction of embedded mappings with filtered mappings.  More in a bit.

Yours faithfully
Niall Ross

On 10 Mar 2017, at 11:26, jtuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Glorp Community,

I have a class hierarchy mapped to a single table using the FilteredTypeResolver.
In the subclass, there is a composed attribute that consists of the combination of two attributes (in may case a period in time between a start date and an end date).

For this period I use an EmbeddedValueToOneMapping. It does its job well in most of the cases, but I found one in which it doesn't.

This period istVar is only present in the subclass, not in the superclass. But since both are mapped to the same table, the table has the startDate and endDate column.

So we have class Superclass, which has a number of Attributes like id, version, name, whatever.
And we have a Subclass with a period attribute which is mapped to the columns startdate and enddate.

When I do:

When I do:

Session read: Superclass, the result is a Debugger (I am using VA Smalltalk 8.6.3, but the Glorp Code looks identical in Pharo 5).

EmbeddedValueOneToOneMapping>>#mapObject: anObject inElementBuilder: anElementBuilder
    "If the object already has a value in my slot, then this it got a cache hit, the embedded value was carried along for the ride, and we don't need to assign anything"
    (self getValueFrom: anObject) isNil ifFalse: [^self].    "Otherwise, we need to look up the trace node that corresponds to this mapping, and get its instance"

The problem is that anElementBuilder query elementBuilderFor: myTraceNode returns nil instead of a Builder. And that is because anElementBuilder is the Builder of the Superclass (Base(Superclass)) and myTraceNode is (Base(Superclass).period). anElementBuilder query returns a Query for the superclass, and that Query has no mapping for #period, since that attribute is only mapped in a subclass.

So I guess what should really happen is that myBuilder has to be looked up not only in the superclass' query, but also in the query of the Builders of all Subclasses. But I don't know how to find the builders of all subclasses and iterate over these (there is a method named withAllSubbuilders, but that doesn't return what I want/need)... ?

Joachim

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          [hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "glorp-group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
Reply | Threaded
|

jtuchel
In reply to this post by jtuchel
Niall,

I played with this a little more and I almost thought I had the solution.

Here is what I tried:

mapObject: anObject inElementBuilder: anElementBuilder
    myBuilder := ((Query read: anElementBuilder instance class) session: self session) prepare elementBuilderFor: myTraceNode. .

By building a query for the concrete object's class I was hoping to get a Query object that knows how to map the field. And in fact myBuilder seems to perfectly fit. It contains the mapping for the subclass' embedded field.
And in fact what I got was the correct mapping expression as #myBuilder: Base(Subclass).period

Unfotunately, this still returns nil in

SimpleQuery>>#elementBuilderFor: anExpression 
    ^builders detect: [:each | each expression == anExpression] ifNone: [nil].

because the two expressions (builders) are neither equal(=) nor identical(==). They look exactly the same in the inspector, but obviously they aren't identical, but surprisingly not even equal. There is no implementor of #= in the MappingExpression hierarchy, so at least technically, the unequality of these two equal MappingExpression objects is explicable ;-).

Since I don't really know why Glorp assumes these two expressions have to be identical, I am not sure how to continue.

So I guess there is some place all the expressions are cached and I just need a way to not create a new Query, but to get the one already existing in the session, or I am probably about 6000 Miles off the right track. Both are very well possible...

Joachim

Dear Joachim,
today, I wrote a test that reproduced this problem (thanks for drawing it to my attention;  as it happens, it relates to an area I was working in anyway).  It seems to be specific to the interaction of embedded mappings with filtered mappings.  More in a bit.

Yours faithfully
Niall Ross

Dear Glorp Community,

When I do:

When I do:

Joachim

-- 

--
Reply | Threaded
|

jtuchel
Niall,

since I need to get this fixed pretty soon, I'd like to hear about your ideas on my trial. Do you think this is the right track? Or would you try and start fixing the setup of tracing on the very other end of query processing?

My idea was to isolate the fix at the "low end" where negative side effects are minimal.

I think if you agree using the Query for the concrete subclass for finding the correct attribute builder, we need one of these two things
  • a way to create/get the correct query so that it reuses the Builder/Expression for the #period attribute
  • a new definition of when two Expressions are equal and the correct implementation for #= so that we can replace the test for #== in
    SimpleQuery>>#elementBuilderFor: anExpression with a test for #=
I would be grateful if you can provide me with your ideas and maybe give me some hints as to how I can help fix this.

Joachim

Am Montag, 13. März 2017 16:49:52 UTC+1 schrieb jtuchel:
Niall,

I played with this a little more and I almost thought I had the solution.

Here is what I tried:

myBuilder := ((Query read: anElementBuilder instance class) session: self session) prepare elementBuilderFor: myTraceNode. .

By building a query for the concrete object's class I was hoping to get a Query object that knows how to map the field. And in fact myBuilder seems to perfectly fit. It contains the mapping for the subclass' embedded field.
And in fact what I got was the correct mapping expression as #myBuilder: Base(Subclass).period

because the two expressions (builders) are neither equal(=) nor identical(==). They look exactly the same in the inspector, but obviously they aren't identical, but surprisingly not even equal. There is no implementor of #= in the MappingExpression hierarchy, so at least technically, the unequality of these two equal MappingExpression objects is explicable ;-).

Since I don't really know why Glorp assumes these two expressions have to be identical, I am not sure how to continue.

So I guess there is some place all the expressions are cached and I just need a way to not create a new Query, but to get the one already existing in the session, or I am probably about 6000 Miles off the right track. Both are very well possible...

Joachim

Dear Joachim,

Yours faithfully
Niall Ross

Dear Glorp Community,

When I do:

When I do:

Joachim

-- 
Fliederweg 1                         <a href="http://www.objektfabrik.de" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.objektfabrik.de\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHeyxMjM5BXvR5qw85qSPuClmpEg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.objektfabrik.de\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHeyxMjM5BXvR5qw85qSPuClmpEg&#39;;return true;">http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  <a href="http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fjoachimtuchel.wordpress.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF4lN1gz9j6BhOOltuFRTSnjfL65w&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fjoachimtuchel.wordpress.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF4lN1gz9j6BhOOltuFRTSnjfL65w&#39;;return true;">http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com

--
Reply | Threaded
|

jtuchel
Niall,

I can answer my last question now: creating a new query at this point won't help. There is no builder that holds an instance in that case, so the value from the db is not present.

The fix has to be established a lot deeper down in the Glorp machinery, analoguous to  ObjectBuilder>>#findInstanceForRow:proxyType:

Joachim

Am 15.03.17 um 08:58 schrieb jtuchel:
Niall,

since I need to get this fixed pretty soon, I'd like to hear about your ideas on my trial. Do you think this is the right track? Or would you try and start fixing the setup of tracing on the very other end of query processing?

My idea was to isolate the fix at the "low end" where negative side effects are minimal.

I think if you agree using the Query for the concrete subclass for finding the correct attribute builder, we need one of these two things
  • a way to create/get the correct query so that it reuses the Builder/Expression for the #period attribute
  • a new definition of when two Expressions are equal and the correct implementation for #= so that we can replace the test for #== in
    SimpleQuery>>#elementBuilderFor: anExpression with a test for #=
I would be grateful if you can provide me with your ideas and maybe give me some hints as to how I can help fix this. Joachim Am Montag, 13. März 2017 16:49:52 UTC+1 schrieb jtuchel:
Niall, I played with this a little more and I almost thought I had the solution. Here is what I tried:
because the two expressions (builders) are neither equal(=) nor identical(==). They look exactly the same in the inspector, but obviously they aren't identical, but surprisingly not even equal. There is no implementor of #= in the MappingExpression hierarchy, so at least technically, the unequality of these two equal MappingExpression objects is explicable ;-). Since I don't really know why Glorp assumes these two expressions have to be identical, I am not sure how to continue. So I guess there is some place all the expressions are cached and I just need a way to not create a new Query, but to get the one already existing in the session, or I am probably about 6000 Miles off the right track. Both are very well possible... Joachim Am 11.03.17 um 19:16 schrieb Niall Ross:
Dear Joachim,
Yours faithfully
Niall Ross
Dear Glorp Community, this is a little complex to explain, but I'll try. I have a class hierarchy mapped to a single table using the FilteredTypeResolver. In the subclass, there is a composed attribute that consists of the combination of two attributes (in may case a period in time between a start date and an end date). For this period I use an EmbeddedValueToOneMapping. It does its job well in most of the cases, but I found one in which it doesn't. This period istVar is only present in the subclass, not in the superclass. But since both are mapped to the same table, the table has the startDate and endDate column. So we have class Superclass, which has a number of Attributes like id, version, name, whatever. And we have a Subclass with a period attribute which is mapped to the columns startdate and enddate. When I do: Session read: Subclass, the result is fine. When I do: Session read: Superclass, the result is a Debugger (I am using VA Smalltalk 8.6.3, but the Glorp Code looks identical in Pharo 5). The Error I get is: UndefinedObject does not understand instance. And this is the method which doesn't work (I marked the faulty line in red): EmbeddedValueOneToOneMapping>>#mapObject: anObject inElementBuilder: anElementBuilder     | myTraceNode myBuilder |     "If the object already has a value in my slot, then this it got a cache hit, the embedded value was carried along for the ride, and we don't need to assign anything"     (self getValueFrom: anObject) isNil ifFalse: [^self].    "Otherwise, we need to look up the trace node that corresponds to this mapping, and get its instance"     myTraceNode := anElementBuilder expression get: self attributeName.     myBuilder := anElementBuilder query elementBuilderFor: myTraceNode.     self setValueIn: anObject to: myBuilder instance. The problem is that anElementBuilder query elementBuilderFor: myTraceNode returns nil instead of a Builder. And that is because anElementBuilder is the Builder of the Superclass (Base(Superclass)) and myTraceNode is (Base(Superclass).period). anElementBuilder query returns a Query for the superclass, and that Query has no mapping for #period, since that attribute is only mapped in a subclass. So I guess what should really happen is that myBuilder has to be looked up not only in the superclass' query, but also in the query of the Builders of all Subclasses. But I don't know how to find the builders of all subclasses and iterate over these (there is a method named withAllSubbuilders, but that doesn't return what I want/need)... ? Any hints, ideas, bugfixes are welcome Joachim

-- 
Fliederweg 1                         <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.objektfabrik.de" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.objektfabrik.de\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHeyxMjM5BXvR5qw85qSPuClmpEg';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.objektfabrik.de\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGHeyxMjM5BXvR5qw85qSPuClmpEg';return true;">http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fjoachimtuchel.wordpress.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF4lN1gz9j6BhOOltuFRTSnjfL65w';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fjoachimtuchel.wordpress.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNF4lN1gz9j6BhOOltuFRTSnjfL65w';return true;">http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "glorp-group" group. To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/glorp-group/9OoVg5QRPPg/unsubscribe. To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email]. To post to this group, send email to [hidden email]. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/glorp-group. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 

--
Reply | Threaded
|

jtuchel
I just wanted the list to know that Niall has confirmed the error and provided me with a temporal fix (involving a slightly extended ConditionalMapping for the superclass).
He told me he's working on a general fix that is very likely to appear in the next Glorp release.

I want to (now also publicly) say a big Thank You to Niall!

--