Emerging Languages Camp

SergeStinckwich
No one could talk about Pharo at this event ?
http://emerginglangs.com/speakers/

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: Emerging Languages Camp

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Serge,

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> No one could talk about Pharo at this event ?
> http://emerginglangs.com/speakers/

now I don't want to be nitpicking, but Smalltalk ain't much of an
emerging language any more, right?

Best,

Michael

Re: Emerging Languages Camp

Reg Krock
So why is C# on the list? It certainly is not an emerging language.

There are two Smalltalk influence languages on the list: Slate and Newspeak

Regards,

Reg

Re: Emerging Languages Camp

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Mariano,

2010/5/9 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> I have just see the website and seems very interesting!  Although Smalltalk
> is not an emerging language anymore, maybe Pharo does ?

uh, sorry again, but that's a particular Smalltalk implementation, right?

Best,

Michael

Re: Emerging Languages Camp

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Michael Haupt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

2010/5/9 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> I have just see the website and seems very interesting!  Although Smalltalk
> is not an emerging language anymore, maybe Pharo does ?

uh, sorry again, but that's a particular Smalltalk implementation, right?

I agree. But PyPy seems to be also an implementation of Python. And Stratified JavaScript  a JavaScript implementation. Clojure may be consider a Lisp dialect that runs on a JVM.

These are just examples from the conference:

http://emerginglangs.com/speakers/

Cheers

Mariano

Best,

Michael

Re: Emerging Languages Camp

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Mariano,

2010/5/9 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> I agree. But PyPy seems to be also an implementation of Python. And
> Stratified JavaScript  a JavaScript implementation. Clojure may be consider
> a Lisp dialect that runs on a JVM.

yup. Hey, I didn't say I agree with all items on the list there. :-)

What is specific about those items on the list?

PyPy is meta-circular in a very interesting way (never seen that for
Python before). I don't know about Stratified JS. Clojure is not just
a Lisp, it is a really interesting Lisp implementation on the JVM (to
my knowledge, the first one, and it really connects well to the JVM).

What specificities / new edges do we have for any of the Smalltalks out there?

Best,

Michael