Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:

1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.

2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.

Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.

I start:

Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Marcus Denker-4

On May 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:
>
> 1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.
>
> 2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.
>
> Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
>
> I start:
>
> Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
> UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1

Please do a doodle. We have already too many mails on the mailinglist.

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:
>
> 1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.
>
> 2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.
>
> Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
>
> I start:
>
> Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
> UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1

Please do a doodle. We have already too many mails on the mailinglist.

I was trying to be diplomatic. Ok: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5787
FixToInclude. No more emails ;)

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Francisco Garau-2

> Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
>
> I start:
>
> Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
> UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1

Please do a doodle. We have already too many mails on the mailinglist.

+3 (+1 to the doodle, +1 to debugger, +1 to fast dragging)

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
That's exactly the scenario Startup Preferences has been designed for ...

You can't make the whole community liking your preferences :)

So set your own ^^

Ben

On May 3, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:
>
> 1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.
>
> 2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.
>
> Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
>
> I start:
>
> Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
> UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1

Please do a doodle. We have already too many mails on the mailinglist.

I was trying to be diplomatic. Ok: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5787
FixToInclude. No more emails ;)

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Marcus Denker-4

On May 3, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On May 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:
> >
> > 1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.
> >
> > 2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.
> >
> > Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
> >
> > I start:
> >
> > Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
> > UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1
> >

> Please do a doodle. We have already too many mails on the mailinglist.
>
> I was trying to be diplomatic. Ok: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5787
> FixToInclude. No more emails ;)

What I want to *not* have are 580 emails of people saying +1 or -1

There is for sure some website for doing a vote? I thought doodle added that?

        Marcus

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's exactly the scenario Startup Preferences has been designed for ...

That doesn't work. I have 10 different images per day. Replicating a file for each folder for each image does not work.
Startup Preferences will only work for me when it automatically searches in $HOME or some other shared place.

You can't make the whole community liking your preferences :)

So set your own ^^

Ben

On May 3, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:
>
> 1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.
>
> 2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.
>
> Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
>
> I start:
>
> Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
> UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1

Please do a doodle. We have already too many mails on the mailinglist.

I was trying to be diplomatic. Ok: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5787
FixToInclude. No more emails ;)

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
That's because you dunno how to use it :)

Startup preferences let you set it once and for all (I am also downloading 10 images per day ^^)

Ben

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's because you dunno how to use it :)

Explain me how I can use it then.

Startup preferences let you set it once and for all (I am also downloading 10 images per day ^^)

Even if I have to do it once. I won't copy paste a file for every single image I want to use.

Ben

On May 3, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's exactly the scenario Startup Preferences has been designed for ...

That doesn't work. I have 10 different images per day. Replicating a file for each folder for each image does not work.
Startup Preferences will only work for me when it automatically searches in $HOME or some other shared place.

You can't make the whole community liking your preferences :)

So set your own ^^

Ben

On May 3, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:
>
> 1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.
>
> 2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.
>
> Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
>
> I start:
>
> Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
> UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1

Please do a doodle. We have already too many mails on the mailinglist.

I was trying to be diplomatic. Ok: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5787
FixToInclude. No more emails ;)

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Guillermo Polito

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's exactly the scenario Startup Preferences has been designed for ...

You can't make the whole community liking your preferences :)

But having good defaults is nice too.  I also think pre debugger does give me no value.  More on, Mariano is being very soft, I should ask to remove it directly :P.

So set your own ^^

Ben

On May 3, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:
>
> 1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.
>
> 2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.
>
> Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
>
> I start:
>
> Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
> UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1

Please do a doodle. We have already too many mails on the mailinglist.

I was trying to be diplomatic. Ok: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5787
FixToInclude. No more emails ;)

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Have a look at StartupLoader class >> #example

You defined it once for all your images, using only one file :)
That's the goal :)

Ben

On May 3, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's because you dunno how to use it :)

Explain me how I can use it then.

Startup preferences let you set it once and for all (I am also downloading 10 images per day ^^)

Even if I have to do it once. I won't copy paste a file for every single image I want to use.

Ben

On May 3, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's exactly the scenario Startup Preferences has been designed for ...

That doesn't work. I have 10 different images per day. Replicating a file for each folder for each image does not work.
Startup Preferences will only work for me when it automatically searches in $HOME or some other shared place.

You can't make the whole community liking your preferences :)

So set your own ^^

Ben

On May 3, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 3, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:
>
> 1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.
>
> 2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.
>
> Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
>
> I start:
>
> Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1
> UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +1

Please do a doodle. We have already too many mails on the mailinglist.

I was trying to be diplomatic. Ok: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5787
FixToInclude. No more emails ;)

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

EstebanLM
Yeah, but that doesn't works because we disabled lookup for startup scripts unless in image directory.
And we disabled that because it was not working for windows (maybe we should reintroduce it, but need to fix it for windows).

See PreferencesHandler>>#buildActionList

Esteban

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have a look at StartupLoader class >> #example

You defined it once for all your images, using only one file :)
That's the goal :)

buildActionList

    "First, we look at image folder,
    then we look at preferences folder,
    and finally at general preferences folder "

    self flag: #todo. "I'm disabling this sequence because lookup of preferences folder is broken in windows."
    ^  OrderedCollection new
        add: [ self lookInImageDirectory ];
        "add: [self lookInPreferencesFolder ];
        add: [self lookInGeneralPreferencesFolder ];"
        yourself.

so how does it work for you?

I am sorry for Windows users but I would do:

buildActionList

    "First, we look at image folder,
    then we look at preferences folder,
    and finally at general preferences folder "

    | directories |
    self flag: #todo. "I'm disabling this sequence because lookup of preferences folder is broken in windows."
    directories := OrderedCollection new.
    directories add: [ self lookInImageDirectory ].
    (OSPlatform current platformFamily = #Windows)
        ifFalse: [
            directories add: [self lookInPreferencesFolder ].
            directories add: [self lookInGeneralPreferencesFolder ].
        ].
    ^ directories

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2012-05-03, at 10:10, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. There are 2 settings that I ALWAYS need to change and I think it would be nice to have them by default:

use the startup preferences and you don't care about it :P

> 1) Always show debugger and avoid pre-debugger windows. It makes no sense for development. It takes you the double of time. What does the pre-debug brings you? nothing. If you want to proceed, then the debugger also has that option. If you want to abandon, you can just close the debugger. So, we should enable this. If someone wanst the pre-debugger fwindows for a reasons, then he should enable it.
>
> 2) Fast dragging. The normal dragging is slow in old machines and slow when there are lots of opened windows. The fast drag is much faster and nicer because since it is transparent you can even see what is below.
>
> Let's do a quick survey. We have 24 hrs. Do not vote if you didn't try it.
>
> I start:

Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +2
UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   +2

> Cheers

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Debugger alwaysOpenFullDebugger: true.   +1... Great idea! I didn't even know that was a setting!!
UITheme currentSettings fastDragging: true.   -1... Let the default be visually satisfying and people on older systems can change the setting

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Enable #alwaysOpenFullDebugger: and fastDragging:

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Options are good, but I disagree that always opening a full debugger is a good idea - I've seen meltdowns from less.  YMMV.  You've been warned :)