Encoding classes name

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

Why in GS (3.4.1) there is Utf8 class but no Utf7, Utf16, or Utf32 ?

But rather Unicode7, Unicode16 and Unicode32.

regards,
bruno

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Encoding classes name

GLASS mailing list

On 8/12/19 9:38 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why in GS (3.4.1) there is Utf8 class but no Utf7, Utf16, or Utf32 ?

In 3.4.3 and 3.5 we have added support for Utf16. Utf8 and Utf16 cover
nearly all of common encoding use cases[1][2]. We added Utf16 support
mainly because Windows uses Utf16 encoding in it's C API.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-16
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Unicode_encodings

> But rather Unicode7, Unicode16 and Unicode32.

These three classes use fixed width character representations in memory
(1 byte, 2 bytes and 4 bytes respectively) for efficient storage and
efficient character access (i.e. using #at:). Unicode16 strings are
_not_ stored in memory using Utf16 encoding, and so on ... Unicode7 maps
to the 7 bit ASCII character set (code points <= 127), Unicode16 maps to
characters with code points <= 65535, and Unicode32 covers characters
with code points > 65535 ...

To put it another way, when you send #asString to a Utf8 instance you
may end up with a Unicode7, Unicode16, or Unicode32 instance depending
upon the size of the largest code point of the characters in the string ...

Does this answer your question?

Dale

> regards,
> bruno