Engage on "Where Smalltalk Went Wrong (2004)"

Engage on "Where Smalltalk Went Wrong (2004)"

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Hi guys,

That post is more emotional than rational and when it tries to be rational a careful read reveal basic misconceptions.

If you are up to it, I suggest to engage in the YC thread (not here) in smart ways to add value to those that are authentically curious

Here is the link to the discussion:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8797522

Re: Engage on "Where Smalltalk Went Wrong (2004)"

kilon.alios
Just a word of warning, such posts are click baits and I think the best way we as community can deal with them is to just ignore them. We should not forget that it was a few years ago that internet was littered with posts about JAVA demise , actually even today the "Java is dead" is a very popular topic probably more than any other popular language out there. Still here we are today Java is going strong and powerful.

Personally I dont recommend Pharo or Smalltalk as an ideal solution, for me Smalltalk is a very specific solution to a very specific problem and thats is the connection between the machine and the user and of course it comes with its drawbacks. Depending on your style of coding you may or may not like Smalltalk / Pharo / Amber etc. In my case as a coder I was always thinking in smalltalk way even though I am very recently introduced to it. For what some other people seemed for me it looked a natural way of doing it. So when people ask me about Pharo I try to keep my emotions at bay offer an objective look in what I like and I don't like about Pharo.

The problem with such blog posts is not that they offer a negative opinion but that they try based on some fact to also pass secondary opinions as facts too underestimating how people think differently , have different priorities and just like different things.

I have recommended Pharo to several people trying to be as objective as possible. I got one very negative response from a person that was more like a troll and seemed to hate anything having to do with OO. Others found Pharo from interesting to very good. A minority of them chose to embrace Pharo as a platform for coding because they were tied to different technologies that Pharo did not support as well.

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

That post is more emotional than rational and when it tries to be rational a careful read reveal basic misconceptions.

If you are up to it, I suggest to engage in the YC thread (not here) in smart ways to add value to those that are authentically curious

Here is the link to the discussion:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8797522

Re: Engage on "Where Smalltalk Went Wrong (2004)"

ccrraaiigg

     2004? Spontaneously rehashing 2004 is interesting now? Must be the
end of the year. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: Engage on "Where Smalltalk Went Wrong (2004)"

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
yeah hehe, the Hacker News popularity mysteries

Still, a couple of guys mention they are curious to try it