Enough for V1.0?

James Ladd
Hi All,

The core Redline Smalltalk compiler is working and I have started to write Apps with Redline Smalltalk.
These apps have been other tools for Redline, like Stout and Stir.

Given this my question is, should we mark the code as version 1.0 and notify people we have reached
this milestone?

I'm also thinking that with the announcement of V1.0 we may get more interest and people trying Redline.
We would then improve and build upon V1.0 and hopefully gain momentum.

What do you think?

Rgs, James.

Re: Enough for V1.0?

James Ladd
Yes I think a v1.0rc would be the way to go.

How long should an rc last?
Is there a criteria for accepting or rejecting an rc?

For me the renewed focus will be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone

On 29/04/2012, at 5:33 PM, Robert Calco <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Steven! Ragnarök
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 05:46:06PM +1000, James Ladd wrote:

> Yes I think a v1.0rc would be the way to go.
>
> How long should an rc last?
> Is there a criteria for accepting or rejecting an rc?
>
> For me the renewed focus will be ideal.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 29/04/2012, at 5:33 PM, Robert Calco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > At the very least, a V1.0 RC ... with a feedback period before it's declared done. I'd like to get back into it myself, having been distracted recently by various personal & professional developments. It's been in the back of my mind and some kind of announcement is helpful to refocus attention to it. :)
> >
> > - Bob
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:51 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > The core Redline Smalltalk compiler is working and I have started to write Apps with Redline Smalltalk.
> > These apps have been other tools for Redline, like Stout and Stir.
> >
> > Given this my question is, should we mark the code as version 1.0 and notify people we have reached
> > this milestone?
> >
> > I'm also thinking that with the announcement of V1.0 we may get more interest and people trying Redline.
> > We would then improve and build upon V1.0 and hopefully gain momentum.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Rgs, James.

I don't think the 1.0 is there at all. A modern software release isn't
just about code maturity, it's also tool integration, documentation and
most importantly community validation. James has been able to use
Redline to build out new pieces of the Redline infrastructure but is it
ready for people to start writing applications with it?  The Getting
Started with Redline Smalltalk article runs hello world, but it doesn't
show us a way to run our own projects. I think it's also a little
awkward to declare a Smalltalk 1.0 when much of the standard library is
pending implementation. Are you talking about marking only the compiler
as 1.0?

Since your goal for this 1.0 is getting people interested and gaining
momentum, I think our documentation story needs to be better.

Also, you mentioned a star (smalltalk jar) format on Twitter a few days
back, but I don't recall seeing anything on it here on the mailing list.
I think that belongs in our 1.0 story and would like to see some
development releases making use of stars before committing to a format.

One last thing that would give us a really strong 1.0 would be a tool
like leiningen for Redline Smalltalk. For those unfamiliar, leiningen is
the Clojure build tool, one of the things that has made Clojure so
strong and given it really good penetration is the community's emphasis
that the clojure jar is just another library that you have on your
system and you can embed it in existing java apps and start out writing
strategic subsets in Clojure. Complementing this is leiningen which is
essentially the command line interface to Clojure.

If anyone is interested in writing this build tool with me (in Redline
Smalltalk of course) I am going to be working on it during late May and
June. Right now I have to focus on finals. :(

I think Redline is awesome and I want to continue working on it but we
only get one shot at our 1.0 release and if we want it to be as
effective as possible in getting more people to try it and use it, I
think we need:

1. Thorough documentation on what works and what is pending
implementation.
2. A couple months community use of the star format.
3. A leiningen like tool which is capable of bootstrapping itself.

Please don't take this as an attack on your hard work James, I think the
progress is astounding!

Steven!
nuclearsandwich

Re: Enough for V1.0?

James Ladd
No offence taken - this is exactly the discussion I was looking for.

V1.0 is meant to be for the compiler only.

I'm thinking that while some of the tooling should be there, won't the community want to contribute too?

Sent from my iPhone

On 29/04/2012, at 6:10 PM, Steven! <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> strategic subsets in Clojure. Complementing this is leiningen which is
> essentially the command line interface to Clojure.
>
> If anyone is interested in writing this build tool with me (in Redline
> Smalltalk of course) I am going to be working on it during late May and
> June. Right now I have to focus on finals. :(
>
> I think Redline is awesome and I want to continue working on it but we
> only get one shot at our 1.0 release and if we want it to be as
> effective as possible in getting more people to try it and use it, I
> think we need:
>
> 1. Thorough documentation on what works and what is pending
> implementation.
> 2. A couple months community use of the star format.
> 3. A leiningen like tool which is capable of bootstrapping itself.
>
> Please don't take this as an attack on your hard work James, I think the

Re: Enough for V1.0?

Stefan Krecher

I think a 1.0 should be ready for production-use. So we should define some milestones and a timeline.
What are the must haves?
real-life examples are important.
And the tooling of course - i would restart working on the eclipse-plugin.
I could imagine that jsr 223 (scripting on the jvm) would be a killer feature. Should this be ready for 1.0?
regards,
Stefan

--
sent from my android-phone

Am 29.04.2012 10:39 schrieb "James Ladd" <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

> strategic subsets in Clojure. Complementing this is leiningen which is
> essentially the command line interface to Clojure.
>
> If anyone is interested in writing this build tool with me (in Redline
> Smalltalk of course) I am going to be working on it during late May and
> June. Right now I have to focus on finals. :(
>
> I think Redline is awesome and I want to continue working on it but we
> only get one shot at our 1.0 release and if we want it to be as
> effective as possible in getting more people to try it and use it, I
> think we need:
>
> 1. Thorough documentation on what works and what is pending
> implementation.
> 2. A couple months community use of the star format.
> 3. A leiningen like tool which is capable of bootstrapping itself.
>
> Please don't take this as an attack on your hard work James, I think the

Re: Enough for V1.0?

bobcalco
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 8:46 AM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes I think a v1.0rc would be the way to go.

How long should an rc last?
Is there a criteria for accepting or rejecting an rc?

It can be some arbitrary length depending on our confidence in its readiness. I'd say a few weeks at most, one week at least, and the criteria for sticking the fork in it and calling it done would be that no show-stopping defects remain on the anointed date.

So then the question is: What's a show stopper? I suppose we can be more liberal with that definition in the early going, and more stringent as it gets more mature.

If RC1 fails, then we lather, rinse, & repeat with RC2, ... RCn, as needed. In reality I don't think Redline is, as a whole, is 1.0-ready, but then, the RC process can help us clarify what the criteria for completion actually should be. My guess is the compiler is in 'good' shape but subtle changes to it would impact all the tests for the runtime -- possibly dramatically -- so it probably makes sense to version them separately.

- Bob

Minor correction. I said:

"I suppose we can be more liberal with that definition in the early going, and more stringent as it gets more mature."

Perhaps because the coffee is still filtering through my bloodstream, I meant the opposite:

"I suppose we can be more stringent with that definition in the early going, and more liberal as it gets more mature."

Now is the time to get particularly the compiler in a rock-solid state and that means being more exacting in our estimation of what is and is not acceptable, in terms of known issues. This may *seem* to delay our gratification in terms of hitting the v1 milestone, but it will make it much easier to hit future milestones with momentum.

- Bob

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Robert Calco <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

SeanTAllen
I think 1.0 indicates something that is there.

I want rock solid for that.

I'd call it 1.0 alpha 1

When we shake out bugs there, improve class library etc
( probably several alphas ), it goes to beta etc.

What goes into each, that is an open question.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Robert Calco <[hidden email]> wrote:
Minor correction. I said:

[...]

Robert Roland
What would be the benefit of implementing JSR 223 support?  I don't think Clojure or Scala currently implement that?  Smalltalk isn't a scripting language - we actually compile everything to bytecodes before we execute.

How do we define "production use"?  The compiler runs today, simple scripts are running, James has some webapps running via Stout.

I can see us doing a beta period (like, 30 days?) and a subsequent RC and fixing up blocking bugs but not introducing new features during that time.  Maybe implementing more of the base library during the beta period?

    - Rob

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:56:25 AM UTC-7, Stefan Krecher wrote:

> [...]

> strategic subsets in Clojure. Complementing this is leiningen which is
> essentially the command line interface to Clojure.
>
> If anyone is interested in writing this build tool with me (in Redline
> Smalltalk of course) I am going to be working on it during late May and
> June. Right now I have to focus on finals. :(
>
> I think Redline is awesome and I want to continue working on it but we
> only get one shot at our 1.0 release and if we want it to be as
> effective as possible in getting more people to try it and use it, I
> think we need:
>
> 1. Thorough documentation on what works and what is pending
> implementation.
> 2. A couple months community use of the star format.
> 3. A leiningen like tool which is capable of bootstrapping itself.
>
> Please don't take this as an attack on your hard work James, I think the

Re: Enough for V1.0?

SeanTAllen
I'd like to see class library solid before beta label.

1.0 as full version means something to people and if we don't live up to it,
we probably won't get another chance. Super early adopters will run with it no matter what the version is.

1.0 needs to aimed in terms of what non early adopters would expect.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Rob Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> strategic subsets in Clojure. Complementing this is leiningen which is
> essentially the command line interface to Clojure.
>
> If anyone is interested in writing this build tool with me (in Redline
> Smalltalk of course) I am going to be working on it during late May and
> June. Right now I have to focus on finals. :(
>
> I think Redline is awesome and I want to continue working on it but we
> only get one shot at our 1.0 release and if we want it to be as
> effective as possible in getting more people to try it and use it, I
> think we need:
>
> 1. Thorough documentation on what works and what is pending
> implementation.
> 2. A couple months community use of the star format.
> 3. A leiningen like tool which is capable of bootstrapping itself.
>
> Please don't take this as an attack on your hard work James, I think the

Re: Enough for V1.0?

James Ladd
I'll put a roadmap together for comment

Sent from my iPhone

On 30/04/2012, at 3:51 AM, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> strategic subsets in Clojure. Complementing this is leiningen which is
> essentially the command line interface to Clojure.
>
> If anyone is interested in writing this build tool with me (in Redline
> Smalltalk of course) I am going to be working on it during late May and
> June. Right now I have to focus on finals. :(
>
> I think Redline is awesome and I want to continue working on it but we
> only get one shot at our 1.0 release and if we want it to be as
> effective as possible in getting more people to try it and use it, I
> think we need:
>
> 1. Thorough documentation on what works and what is pending
> implementation.
> 2. A couple months community use of the star format.
> 3. A leiningen like tool which is capable of bootstrapping itself.
>
> Please don't take this as an attack on your hard work James, I think the

Re: Enough for V1.0?

Stefan Krecher

Am Sonntag, 29. April 2012 19:32:33 UTC+2 schrieb Rob Roland:
What would be the benefit of implementing JSR 223 support?  I don't think Clojure or Scala currently implement that?  Smalltalk isn't a scripting language - we actually compile everything to bytecodes before we execute.

I think JSR 223 makes integration into existing applications easier. Also, many Frameworks make use of JSR 223 - e.g. Apache Pivot, Apache Camel or Apache ServiceMix. Wouldn't it be a great business-case to use Smalltalk on ServiceMix in an EAI or SOA Project?
At least it would be very cool ;-)

How do we define "production use"?  The compiler runs today, simple scripts are running, James has some webapps running via Stout.

I would say that if i can use redline just to "play around" with smalltalk on the JVM it wouldn't be ready for production.
If i could call redline from an EJB and implement business logic -that would be production use. Or use it to write Unit-Tests for my Java-Application.

regards,
Stefan

Re: Enough for V1.0?

James Ladd
Stevan,
You can call java from Smalltalk and vice versa today, the process is currently a little manual (calling java from Smalltak) see latest Redline blog post on JVM byte codes
To improve this we need a runtime adaptor for java classes. It's in the pipeline.
I do need to document the process of getting the Smalltalk runtime going but it is just a sequence of method calls on Java classes

Sent from my Commodore 64

On 02/05/2012, at 8:10 PM, Stefan Krecher <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

regards,
Stefan

Re: Enough for V1.0?

Mark Derricutt-2
On 29/04/12 8:10 PM, Steven! wrote:

> One last thing that would give us a really strong 1.0 would be a tool
> like leiningen for Redline Smalltalk. For those unfamiliar, leiningen
> is the Clojure build tool, one of the things that has made Clojure so
> strong and given it really good penetration is the community's
> emphasis that the clojure jar is just another library that you have on
> your system and you can embed it in existing java apps and start out
> writing strategic subsets in Clojure. Complementing this is leiningen
> which is essentially the command line interface to Clojure. If anyone
> is interested in writing this build tool with me (in Redline Smalltalk
> of course)
Whats the status of the Maven plugin over at
https://github.com/robertrolandorg/redline-maven-plugin

I remembered it existed but for some reason thought it was part of the
main project but not.

Having tooling is certainly important, which is why I wrote the
clojure-maven-plugin - leiningen is great, but sometimes you want to
integrate with an existing project, and for that - maven support is key.

For a 1.0 release I'd at least like to see the maven plugin become an
official redline.st associated tool, released, and in maven central.

Re: Enough for V1.0?

James Ladd
I think Rob is onto maven support - Rob ?

Sent from my Commodore 64

On 02/05/2012, at 8:40 PM, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29/04/12 8:10 PM, Steven! wrote:
>> One last thing that would give us a really strong 1.0 would be a tool like leiningen for Redline Smalltalk. For those unfamiliar, leiningen is the Clojure build tool, one of the things that has made Clojure so strong and given it really good penetration is the community's emphasis that the clojure jar is just another library that you have on your system and you can embed it in existing java apps and start out writing strategic subsets in Clojure. Complementing this is leiningen which is essentially the command line interface to Clojure. If anyone is interested in writing this build tool with me (in Redline Smalltalk of course)
> Whats the status of the Maven plugin over at https://github.com/robertrolandorg/redline-maven-plugin
>
> I remembered it existed but for some reason thought it was part of the main project but not.
>
> Having tooling is certainly important, which is why I wrote the clojure-maven-plugin - leiningen is great, but sometimes you want to integrate with an existing project, and for that - maven support is key.
>
> For a 1.0 release I'd at least like to see the maven plugin become an official redline.st associated tool, released, and in maven central.

Re: Enough for V1.0?

James Ladd
Id also like to point out there is a ROADMAP document in the source that is a discussion point for release contents

Sent from my Commodore 64

On 02/05/2012, at 8:40 PM, Mark Derricutt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29/04/12 8:10 PM, Steven! wrote:
>> One last thing that would give us a really strong 1.0 would be a tool like leiningen for Redline Smalltalk. For those unfamiliar, leiningen is the Clojure build tool, one of the things that has made Clojure so strong and given it really good penetration is the community's emphasis that the clojure jar is just another library that you have on your system and you can embed it in existing java apps and start out writing strategic subsets in Clojure. Complementing this is leiningen which is essentially the command line interface to Clojure. If anyone is interested in writing this build tool with me (in Redline Smalltalk of course)
> Whats the status of the Maven plugin over at https://github.com/robertrolandorg/redline-maven-plugin
>
> I remembered it existed but for some reason thought it was part of the main project but not.
>
> Having tooling is certainly important, which is why I wrote the clojure-maven-plugin - leiningen is great, but sometimes you want to integrate with an existing project, and for that - maven support is key.
>
> For a 1.0 release I'd at least like to see the maven plugin become an official redline.st associated tool, released, and in maven central.

Re: Enough for V1.0?

Robert Roland-2
The Maven plugin is an officially supported part of our tool chain. It exists within my github account simply because that's where I created it. :-) The main Redline account will keep up-to-date with it.

It has a chicken-and-egg problem - I can't release it to Maven Central until we have a Redline release to put in Maven Central.

I'm also planning a Maven archetype.