Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Marc Hanisch
Hello,

I can't enter the caret character (^) in Squeak 5.1 on Linux 32bit.
I'm pretty sure that it worked some versions ago.

I also noticed that Squeak is not able to print non-ASCII characters
(like €), it instead displays just a question mark.

Is this a default setting? How do I enter the caret?

Thanks and have a nice week,
Marc

Re: Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Marc Hanisch
Hello,

any ideas? I've tested the stable Squeak release on Ubuntu 18.04 and
Fedora 28 and I can't enter the caret on both systems...

Any hints are welcome :-)
Marc
Am Mo., 1. Okt. 2018 um 09:07 Uhr schrieb Marc Hanisch
<[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I can't enter the caret character (^) in Squeak 5.1 on Linux 32bit.
> I'm pretty sure that it worked some versions ago.
>
> I also noticed that Squeak is not able to print non-ASCII characters
> (like €), it instead displays just a question mark.
>
> Is this a default setting? How do I enter the caret?
>
> Thanks and have a nice week,
> Marc

Re: Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Christian Kellermann
* Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]> [181004 10:25]:
> Hello,
>
> any ideas? I've tested the stable Squeak release on Ubuntu 18.04 and
> Fedora 28 and I can't enter the caret on both systems...

On some system (depending on your layout config) the caret is a
dead  key, that is, it will not get displayed when pressed once,
but hold as a modifier for entering keys like ấ (which can be
produced with ^ + a). Try typing ^ + space and see whether the caret
appears. If that get's too annoying try configuring a 'nodeadkeys'
variant in your keyboard layout preferences on your linux system.

HTH

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.

Re: Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Marc Hanisch
Hi Christian,

I've configured my keyboard with 'deadkeys' (I need the caret for
Esperanto characters like ĝĥ), so I already tried "^ + Space", but it
justs displays a questionmark.
When I switch to 'nodeadkeys' I can enter the caret. So this is solved
for now ;-)

But I'm still wondering, why I can't type UTF8-characters? I thought
Squeak is UTF-8 aware?

Thanks and best regards,
Marc
Am Do., 4. Okt. 2018 um 10:38 Uhr schrieb Christian Kellermann
<[hidden email]>:

> * Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]> [181004 10:25]:
> > Hello,
> >
> > any ideas? I've tested the stable Squeak release on Ubuntu 18.04 and
> > Fedora 28 and I can't enter the caret on both systems...
>
> On some system (depending on your layout config) the caret is a
> dead  key, that is, it will not get displayed when pressed once,
> but hold as a modifier for entering keys like ấ (which can be
> produced with ^ + a). Try typing ^ + space and see whether the caret
> appears. If that get's too annoying try configuring a 'nodeadkeys'
> variant in your keyboard layout preferences on your linux system.
>
> HTH
>
> Christian
>
> --
> May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
> suffering, and may you live with ease.

Re: Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Tobias Pape
Hi

> On 04.10.2018, at 11:03, Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I've configured my keyboard with 'deadkeys' (I need the caret for
> Esperanto characters like ĝĥ), so I already tried "^ + Space", but it
> justs displays a questionmark.
> When I switch to 'nodeadkeys' I can enter the caret. So this is solved
> for now ;-)
>
> But I'm still wondering, why I can't type UTF8-characters? I thought
> Squeak is UTF-8 aware?

Well, the question mark is just Squeaks way of saying "i know the Character but I don't have it in the font"

you can do the following:

put a $ before the character, select the whole thin and hit ctrl-i. Then you see what character it is, typically by unicode point.

Best regards
        -Tobias

PS: I'd be very interested what ^+space produces for character :)

> Thanks and best regards,
> Marc
> Am Do., 4. Okt. 2018 um 10:38 Uhr schrieb Christian Kellermann
> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> * Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]> [181004 10:25]:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> any ideas? I've tested the stable Squeak release on Ubuntu 18.04 and
>>> Fedora 28 and I can't enter the caret on both systems...
>>
>> On some system (depending on your layout config) the caret is a
>> dead  key, that is, it will not get displayed when pressed once,
>> but hold as a modifier for entering keys like ấ (which can be
>> produced with ^ + a). Try typing ^ + space and see whether the caret
>> appears. If that get's too annoying try configuring a 'nodeadkeys'
>> variant in your keyboard layout preferences on your linux system.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> --
>> May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
>> suffering, and may you live with ease.

Re: Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Marc Hanisch
Thans Tobias,

I did now the following in the Workspace:

I entered "^ ", Workspace displayed: " ?",
I entered "^g", Workspace displayed: "g?"

Putting the $ before the ? and inspecting the character just displays
the same character again, for example self has the value "$?" in the
inspector... no unicode point, just the questionmark... ;-)

Best regards,
Marc

On 04.10.2018, at 15:05, Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thans Tobias,

I did now the following in the Workspace:

I entered "^ ", Workspace displayed: " ?",
I entered "^g", Workspace displayed: "g?"

Putting the $ before the ? and inspecting the character just displays
the same character again, for example self has the value "$?" in the
inspector... no unicode point, just the questionmark... ;-)

Ok, it should actually look somewhat like this when you hit 'ctrl-i':

In any case, '$i codePoint' (with i being your strange character) should work...

Best regards
-Tobias

<[hidden email]>:

* Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]> [181004 10:25]:
Hello,

any ideas? I've tested the stable Squeak release on Ubuntu 18.04 and
Fedora 28 and I can't enter the caret on both systems...

On some system (depending on your layout config) the caret is a
dead  key, that is, it will not get displayed when pressed once,
but hold as a modifier for entering keys like ấ (which can be
produced with ^ + a). Try typing ^ + space and see whether the caret
appears. If that get's too annoying try configuring a 'nodeadkeys'
variant in your keyboard layout preferences on your linux system.

HTH

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.

Re: Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Marc

You write:

     I entered "^ ", Workspace displayed: " ?",
     I entered "^g", Workspace displayed: "g?"

In case you have problems getting what Tobias suggests to work it
might be easier to evaluate (i.e. select and choose 'do it')

     ' ?' inspect
     'g?' inspect

Regards

Hannes

On 10/4/18, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> On 04.10.2018, at 15:05, Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thans Tobias,
>>
>> I did now the following in the Workspace:
>>
>> I entered "^ ", Workspace displayed: " ?",
>> I entered "^g", Workspace displayed: "g?"
>>
>> Putting the $ before the ? and inspecting the character just displays
>> the same character again, for example self has the value "$?" in the
>> inspector... no unicode point, just the questionmark... ;-)
>>

> Ok, it should actually look somewhat like this when you hit 'ctrl-i':
>

> In any case, '$i codePoint' (with i being your strange character) should
> work...
>

> Best regards
> -Tobias
>

>> Best regards,
>> Marc
>> Am Do., 4. Okt. 2018 um 14:38 Uhr schrieb Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hi

>>> Well, the question mark is just Squeaks way of saying "i know the
>>> Character but I don't have it in the font"
>>>
>>> you can do the following:
>>>
>>> put a $ before the character, select the whole thin and hit ctrl-i. Then
>>> you see what character it is, typically by unicode point.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>        -Tobias
>>>
>>> PS: I'd be very interested what ^+space produces for character :)

Re: Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Marc Hanisch
Hello Tobias, hello Hannes,

Strange, my inspector window does not show the code in its title, but
printing the codepoint of the questionmark shows me the value '770',
which is the "COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT"
(http://www.codetable.net/decimal/770) whereas the correct caret has
the value '94', which is "CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT"
(http://www.codetable.net/decimal/94) - which somehow makes sense ;-)
So it seems to be an issue with the input system, not with Squeak.
Although I'm really wondering how I can acces the "CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT"
with the 'deadkeys' keyboard layout...

Thanks for your help,
Marc

Bildschirmfoto von 2018-10-05 08-17-44.png (44K) Download Attachment

Re: Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Marc Hanisch
Ha, I figured it out: with 'deadkeys' keyboard settings I have to
enter the caret twice (^^) to get the correct "Circumflex Accent"!

Best regards,
Marc
Am Fr., 5. Okt. 2018 um 08:25 Uhr schrieb Marc Hanisch
<[hidden email]>:

> Hello Tobias, hello Hannes,
>
> Strange, my inspector window does not show the code in its title, but
> printing the codepoint of the questionmark shows me the value '770',
> which is the "COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT"
> (http://www.codetable.net/decimal/770) whereas the correct caret has
> the value '94', which is "CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT"
> (http://www.codetable.net/decimal/94) - which somehow makes sense ;-)
> So it seems to be an issue with the input system, not with Squeak.
> Although I'm really wondering how I can acces the "CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT"
> with the 'deadkeys' keyboard layout...
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Marc
>

> Am Fr., 5. Okt. 2018 um 02:14 Uhr schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hello Marc
> >
> > You write:
> >
> >      I entered "^ ", Workspace displayed: " ?",
> >      I entered "^g", Workspace displayed: "g?"
> >

> > In case you have problems getting what Tobias suggests to work it
> > might be easier to evaluate (i.e. select and choose 'do it')
> >
> >      ' ?' inspect
> >      'g?' inspect
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Hannes
> >
> > On 10/4/18, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Ok, it should actually look somewhat like this when you hit 'ctrl-i':
> > >

> > > In any case, '$i codePoint' (with i being your strange character) should
> > > work...
> > >

> > > Best regards
> > >       -Tobias

Re: Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Bert Freudenberg
This might still be a Squeak bug:

(String withAll: (#($a 770) collect: #asCharacter)) composeAccents
==> 'â'

It works with $a so should space work too? I'm not entirely sure of the Unicode normalization rules.

- Bert -