Ephemeric Cloud - new platform to publish Pharo web applications

Ephemeric Cloud - new platform to publish Pharo web applications

mikefilonov
Dear Pharo users,

I'm so excited to introduce you a project I'm currently working on which is called "Ephemeric cloud". It is a very simple and fast way to publish your Images to the web. Basically to publish a Smalltalk Image you just need to call a usual HTTP POST request to Pharocloud Ephemeric API and you'll get a hostname in response.

Check those small video examples below. 2 minutes each (and most of the time is uploading time of my not-so-fast home internet :)

Publish with curl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dKBCpj96cU
Publish with Drag&Drop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGTenCIwik

The main idea of the project is to put as many images as possible and as simple as possible. And I'm so confident in efficiency of this solution that I included a free plan for you guys:)

Hooray to Pharo Free hosting! :) (scared smile)

I see Ephemeric cloud as a corner stone of all Pharo web development.
For instance, I can imagine some kind of "Publish" button on Marina project site, clicking on which a user will spawn a new instance in the cloud and will be able to test it immediately. Another good use case is running unit-tests by publishing an Image and running some API calls on it by script. Or you can have an A-B publish scheme when a part of users are sent to a new version for a test and the rest to a stable one. By the way, ephemerics are a great case for Pharo Remote Debug project;)

My intentions are to get to the point when Ephemeric cloud subscription is a must-have tool for a Pharo developer! :)

You may check some project details here:
https://www.pharocloud.com/kb/tutorial/ephemerics-introduction

Mike
Pharocloud Team

Re: Ephemeric Cloud - new platform to publish Pharo web applications

abergel
This is fantastic…

Alexandre

> On Jul 20, 2015, at 5:16 PM, mikefilonov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Pharo users,
>
> I'm so excited to introduce you a project I'm currently working on which is
> called "Ephemeric cloud". It is a very simple and fast way to publish your
> Images to the web. Basically to publish a Smalltalk Image you just need to
> call a usual HTTP POST request to Pharocloud Ephemeric API and you'll get a
> hostname in response.
>
> Check those small video examples below. 2 minutes each (and most of the time
> is uploading time of my not-so-fast home internet :)
>
> Publish with curl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dKBCpj96cU
> Publish with Drag&Drop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGTenCIwik
>
> The main idea of the project is to put as many images as possible and as
> simple as possible. And I'm so confident in efficiency of this solution that
> I included a free plan for you guys:)
>
> Hooray to Pharo Free hosting! :) (scared smile)
>
> I see Ephemeric cloud as a corner stone of all Pharo web development.
> For instance, I can imagine some kind of "Publish" button on Marina project
> site, clicking on which a user will spawn a new instance in the cloud and
> will be able to test it immediately. Another good use case is running
> unit-tests by publishing an Image and running some API calls on it by
> script. Or you can have an A-B publish scheme when a part of users are sent
> to a new version for a test and the rest to a stable one. By the way,
> ephemerics are a great case for Pharo Remote Debug project;)
>
> My intentions are to get to the point when Ephemeric cloud subscription is a
> must-have tool for a Pharo developer! :)
>
> You may check some project details here:
> https://www.pharocloud.com/kb/tutorial/ephemerics-introduction
>
> All questions are so-very welcomed. If anyone is interested in participation
> in cloud beta-testing please contact me at [hidden email] and I'll
> extend your subscription plan.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike
> Pharocloud Team

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Ephemeric Cloud - new platform to publish Pharo web applications

Esteban A. Maringolo
It is a very interesting approach. Thank you for doing it.

Can you share what cloud service do you use to run PharoCloud? (AWS, Google AppEngine, DigitalOcean, etc.)

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

This is fantastic…

Alexandre

> On Jul 20, 2015, at 5:16 PM, mikefilonov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Pharo users,
>
> I'm so excited to introduce you a project I'm currently working on which is
> called "Ephemeric cloud". It is a very simple and fast way to publish your
> Images to the web. Basically to publish a Smalltalk Image you just need to
> call a usual HTTP POST request to Pharocloud Ephemeric API and you'll get a
> hostname in response.
>
> Check those small video examples below. 2 minutes each (and most of the time
> is uploading time of my not-so-fast home internet :)
>
> Publish with curl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dKBCpj96cU
> Publish with Drag&Drop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGTenCIwik
>
> The main idea of the project is to put as many images as possible and as
> simple as possible. And I'm so confident in efficiency of this solution that
> I included a free plan for you guys:)
>
> Hooray to Pharo Free hosting! :) (scared smile)
>
> I see Ephemeric cloud as a corner stone of all Pharo web development.
> For instance, I can imagine some kind of "Publish" button on Marina project
> site, clicking on which a user will spawn a new instance in the cloud and
> will be able to test it immediately. Another good use case is running
> unit-tests by publishing an Image and running some API calls on it by
> script. Or you can have an A-B publish scheme when a part of users are sent
> to a new version for a test and the rest to a stable one. By the way,
> ephemerics are a great case for Pharo Remote Debug project;)
>
> My intentions are to get to the point when Ephemeric cloud subscription is a
> must-have tool for a Pharo developer! :)
>
> You may check some project details here:
> https://www.pharocloud.com/kb/tutorial/ephemerics-introduction
>
> All questions are so-very welcomed. If anyone is interested in participation
> in cloud beta-testing please contact me at [hidden email] and I'll
> extend your subscription plan.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike
> Pharocloud Team

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Ephemeric Cloud - new platform to publish Pharo web applications

Andy Burnett
Mike, that sounds really interesting.  Will the instances support websocket connections, and if so, will that stop them from sleeping, i.e. if I had an app that sent out news updates via wss every 15 minutes to any listening clients, could it just continue to run, or does it have to receive a get/post request every 30 mins?

Cheers
Andy

Re: Ephemeric Cloud - new platform to publish Pharo web applications

mikefilonov
Hi Andy,

Thanks for pointing this out! When websocket support is ready on the ephemeric gate I'll add a ping to API server so application will work continuously without any effort. I think conceptually it should "just work".

Also I plan to have a "sticky-run" option so you can mark some of ephemerics not to go to sleep mode.

What do you think?

Re: Ephemeric Cloud - new platform to publish Pharo web applications

mikefilonov
Hi Esteban,

Pharocloud runs on OVH infrastructure. However Ephemeric Cloud solution can be ported to some other provider or client's datacenter if there is a strong need.

- Mike

Re: Ephemeric Cloud - new platform to publish Pharo web applications

Andy Burnett
Mike wrote
<<<
Thanks for pointing this out! When websocket support is ready on the
ephemeric gate I'll add a ping to API server so application will work
continuously without any effort. I think conceptually it should "just work".

Also I plan to have a "sticky-run" option so you can mark some of ephemerics
not to go to sleep mode.

What do you think?

That sounds like a good approach. Just to dig into this a bit more, here is our first use case.

We have an iPhone/web app which is a multiuser countdown timer. The data are hosted on Firebase.  The iPhone app can set the time, and control start/pause. The web apps count down by themselves, but the start/stop/reset signalling is done in real time by the Firebase server.

So, if you imagine a timer that is set to run for 45 minutes, we would need to signal start to the image. That would be reflected to all connected clients via wss, and then, for example, stopped with 5 minutes to go.

We would need the app to remain live whilst a timer was running. However, we don't use the timers all the time, so keeping the whole app live might burn up more of the server's resources than necessary.

Cheers
Andy

Re: Ephemeric Cloud - new platform to publish Pharo web applications

Marcus Denker-4

*Really* nice! I just deployed the example seaside image in literally minutes!
(using the REST Api with Curl).

the web UI looks even easier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1GfuT9M4qo