Epicea should ask before recovering

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

can we modify epicea before asking for recovery?
Because right now when I close image to intentionally throw away changes (because I managed to break the image or whatever), Epicea will freeze the image on startup for 10-15 seconds for even a mere 6-method change.

(I also had it freeze for (couple) minutes on a rather big changeset...)

Closing image and reopening is a very convenient way to get back to usable state of the image, so maybe a configuration option that would first prompt me "Epicea has detected lost changes, do you want to review them? <yes> <no>" would be nice.

Of course if I am the only person that uses images in such a way then I can just work around it myself. (because having endless lists of config options is also nightmare)

Peter

Re: Epicea should ask before recovering

Denis Kudriashov

Of course if I am the only person that uses images in such a way then I can just work around it myself. (because having endless lists of config options is also nightmare)

Me too

Re: Epicea should ask before recovering

kilon.alios
Me three

Recover dialog is standard on all apps anyway
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 at 16:22, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Of course if I am the only person that uses images in such a way then I can just work around it myself. (because having endless lists of config options is also nightmare)

Me too

Re: Epicea should ask before recovering

tinchodias
You can disable it: World Menu > Settings > Tools > Epicea > Detect lost events on start up

I can make it initially disabled by default.
However, I have an optimization that can improve a lot the time to read, maybe we can still integrate a new version of Epicea before 6.0 release. I've been testing it for a couple of weeks and works well.

Me too

Re: Epicea should ask before recovering

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Martin.

You can disable it: World Menu > Settings > Tools > Epicea > Detect lost events on start up

Idea to not disable it but to show notification about lost changes with button to open changes browser. It should remove delay on image startup because full changes will be not loaded in that case.

Re: Epicea should ask before recovering

Guillermo Polito
Yeh, What they mean is that instead of loading the list of "possible stuff to recover" you launch at startup a dialog:

"It seems your last Pharo session exited without saving some code. Do you want to recover it?" YES/NO

:)

Hi Martin.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:04:01AM +0200, Guillermo Polito wrote:
> Yeh, What they mean is that instead of loading the list of "possible stuff
> to recover" you launch at startup a dialog:
>
> "It seems your last Pharo session exited without saving some code. Do you
> want to recover it?" YES/NO

Precisely.

(and reading my original mail I've realized that I should not write when I am tired... the first sentence there made no sense at all... sorry :))

Peter

> :)
>
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Martin.

> >> You can disable it: World Menu > Settings > Tools > Epicea > Detect lost
> >> events on start up
> >

> > Idea to not disable it but to show notification about lost changes with
> > button to open changes browser. It should remove delay on image startup
> > because full changes will be not loaded in that case.

Re: Epicea should ask before recovering

Rajula Vineet
Hi,

I am interested in this issue. Maybe I will try adding this feature of a pop up when an image crashes, which asks 'do you want to recover your lost changes?'

Rajula

Re: Epicea should ask before recovering

Ben Coman

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Rajula Vineet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in this issue. Maybe I will try adding this feature of a pop
up when an image crashes, which asks 'do you want to recover your lost
changes?'

Rajula

Give it a go.

For approach, use "World menu > Tools > Finder > Source"
searching for the window title "Lost Changes Detected".
Drop a "self halt" at the top of that method.
Save the Image, then change any random method and Quit the image.
Next startup a debugger should open in the appropriate spot.

-------

However a side question is, when someone goes "World menu > Quit"
should that be taken to mean they are throwing away outstanding changes?

-------

Something else, I went to test previous behaviour of Lost Changes in Pharo 5.0
and I'm confounded by this behaviour.

Preparation...
2. From the command line, ran ./pharo
3. Opened System Browser on random method EllipseMorph>>closestPointTo:
4. Appended "aPoint + 0@0" and saved method.
5. Save&Quit Image, then re-opened Image

Test...
6. Changed 0@0 to 1@1.
7. At the command line, hit <CTRL-C> to crash-stop the image
8. Re-open image
==> Expect "Lost Changes" dialog but there is none.
Do I misremember the expected behaviour?

This is the same with...

cheers -ben